Buying tips please 950 Adventure

The Things We Ride
Gavinskii

Re: Buying tips please 950 Adventure

Post by Gavinskii »

Mike101 wrote:Well I've kind of set my path rolling. Tonight I started to strip down the Tenere and all the stuff I don't want to sell with it.

It's getting a full professional clean next Wednesday then up for sale.

I have the money for something else..so just need to find something or I won't have a bike for my own rally...now that would be embarrassing.

So if anybody on here as a 950 or a 990 for sale...sub £6500 please let me know.

Mike
Mike drop Haydn - Simply Exploring a pm. He has a lovely 990 in Repsol colours with the option of lots of goodies.

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... -2008.html

He's an engineer by trade and it wants for nothing.
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award
johnnyboxer

Buying tips please 950 Adventure

Post by johnnyboxer »

bond_yzf wrote:Best all round bike ??

the exxon valdez had better mpg
I rode a 950 and the turning circle was similar to a supertanker too

Never ridden a bike with such a poor turning circle as the KTM 950

Are they all like it ?

Quite frankly they look ace, of course they do - just like a thoroughbred

But the fuel consumption and extra maintenance would turn me off

Hey Mike, a few weeks ago you were looking for a good commuter bike with good mpg, now in just 2 weeks you've swung to a KTM 950

Are you going through the mid life crisis ?
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Mid life crisis..maybe...

I have the k for long road stuff and while i was looking to replace it i thought..as others said..I own it..it does not owe me any money and any fuel savings i get from a different bike would be offset against having to spend more money...so keep the K it is.

The Tenere is fab but i have always struggled with the seat...i have spent hundreds and done everything possible to it but no go. Also while i'm 6ft tall i have short legs and everytime i stopped on a bad camber i worried about dropping it.

When i had full luggage on it was worse. My trip this year to france saw me almost drop it several times..all becasue i can only get my tip toes down.

If i could take a Tenere..drop the seat height..mine is already lowered...and make the seat comfy for me i would keep it forever.

So when i ride a 950 it all clicked....maybe tiem will tell and i will be making a bad call but if i don't do it i won't ever know.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Sand Rover

Post by Sand Rover »

I think the 990/950 are great bikes but maybe suit the more aggressive riders, they are amazing off road for a big bike you just need a big set of balls to ride them fast off road
i have had most of the big trail bikes but i would say the 990 gives me the biggest grin when out for a blast....
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

johnnyboxer wrote:
bond_yzf wrote:Best all round bike ??

the exxon valdez had better mpg
I rode a 950 and the turning circle was similar to a supertanker too

Never ridden a bike with such a poor turning circle as the KTM 950

Are they all like it ?
Mine nearly caught me out when I first got it, I was expecting it to turn more. It turns out the bump stops were screwed out about half an inch on either side. :huh:
Easy adjustment. (thumbs)
bowber

Post by bowber »

Yes get one, you only live once and they do hold their price ok if looked after.
Just like any bike they have their problems but I've done 7K+ on mine with zero problems so far (10K - 17.5K)
Good fun bike that'll take you anywhere you care to go, I have trail reiden mine but it's not why I bought it so I don't really bother.
And mine regularly gets over 50mpg on a good run, short local runs are around 45mpg.

If you don't get it then you'll always wonder why you didn't and it's not like your spending £14K on a new BMW with an immediate loss as you drive it out of the show room.

Steve
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Well folks...all being well i'm picking a very nice 950 tomorrow lunchtime.

So if it doesn't blow up...throw me off or kill me on the way home i'll pop a pic up tomorrow evening.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
BigBashBonanza

Post by BigBashBonanza »

Nice one Mike. Is it from a dealer, trade in jobby for your Yam?
Got all the gubbins with it?
Look Large, Be Massive

Follow the Sapper
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

It wasn't that black one ebay from bbc???
Nice bike that was gonna post about it but saw it had sold. And wondered if it was you.
went out on mine today just didn't want to come home.
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

zimtim wrote:It wasn't that black one ebay from bbc???
Nice bike that was gonna post about it but saw it had sold. And wondered if it was you.
went out on mine today just didn't want to come home.
Yes that's the one. Not seen it yet is it all may fall through but I doubt it. For what it is it's a good price with the kit it has.

Also the only two owners are known and I can prove the bikes history.

The Tenere will go up for sale the back end of next week...watch this space if you want one.

Mike

Return to “BIKES”