what have you done to your bike today??

The Things We Ride
illmor

Re: what have you done to your bike today??

Post by illmor »

I only use my phone as satnav on unfamiliar roads. And now it's right in front of me behind windscreen. Don't have to tilt my head down, and less chance of sun glare. Safer and more comfy than before, but thanks for concerns.

Wysłane z mojego RMX2155 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I've had a few satnavs on bikes in my time. Most have had screens that are too small, also they are somehow getting smaller as I get older!

The best tool for road nav I've ever had a road map in a clear sleeve on my tank bag.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I use a Garmin Montana--but primarily off road where you need OS or OSM detai,l and can plan and preload tracks to string stuff together, or get you around obstacles etc. It involves frequent pauses for each stage--ok on a trail. However, I do have it on a road bike or two, and use it to navigate through towns in France etc--but mostly I pre-plan my route using a map, write the list of main place names on a card or similar, and have that in a tank bag or stuck on the bars, and that needs minimal looking down. Having covered a good distance I get the map out again and write a new set of major place names in BIG PRINT--a sat nav /GPS will never be a substitute for a decent map opened out for the bigger picture.
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

I've trimmed my rally tower to fit my new 15litre tank ready for the Kielder Rallymoto event next weekend
20221023_153015 (1600x1200).jpg
20221023_153015 (1600x1200).jpg (270.85 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
2021 890 Adventure R
1982 R80 G/S with Siebenrock
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
1957 Velocette 500 Scrambler
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

a GPS on a bike for riding an unfamiliar route trail or tar is a fantastic aid in my experience, I rode for many years with maps only pre GPS availability mapcases on the tank, written instructions etc, as a ex rally car navigator/co-driver (there is a subtle difference) I am very familiar with maps and the joy of them. A GPS is hands down a better tool for longer distance minor road or trail routing. Consider for a moment how many OS 1:50,000 maps you would need for a little road trip from Bristol to John o Groats or Trails from Calais to the Italian Border, as said for a kitchen table pre- plan or picnic table overview you can not beat a paper map, but out on it a GPS with suitable maps for the purpose is the winner. looking down trying to keep track of your position on a tank map is more dangerous than flicking your eye down at a GPS mounted just about top of screen height my experience anyway. many have had bad experinces with wrong GPS/map or lack of knowledge of how to get the best from them from what i have seen. but whatever works for you- great.
illmor

Post by illmor »

Waiting to be fitted. Should make morning commute more pleasant. Or less annoyingImage

Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

40k service and new fork seals on the Explorer thanks to David Jones, aka Muddy Sump. Great service at a great price. Can’t recommend him enough.
illmor

Post by illmor »

Could be last day commuting. 6am this morning on my car. Could be interesting ride back home this afternoonImage

Edit: tempted to get them. 2019 for about half price.

ImageImage
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Go for it.
Avon is closing its UK motorcycle tyre manufacturing plant. When they did the same with their car tyres, the 'quality' never recovered
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Actually over the past few days as I needed to order carburettor parts for my Trophy 900. The bike is in storage and when I came to fire it up the right hand carburettor was badly flooding so they had to come off, getting them off is easy but putting them back on can be a real pain in the butt !!!

Whilst cleaning the tiny spring on the float needle decided to go wandering on a little adventure of its own so I had to order a new valve plus bridge as Triumph only sell them as a complete unit. I stripped each carb and cleaned every thing in my little sonic cleaner, amazing how shiny the jets look after a bath. The float heights I set to 14.5mm remembering that the inner carb runs a slightly smaller main jet.

What surprised me was an unusual form of corrosion around the main jet exit orifice plus the air box side of one of the slides. I don't recall ever seeing anything like it before, the bike has never been run on E10 petrol, which I was going to blame, what do you think.

Connecting the air box is a job that goes on first time or you spend an hour or two cursing and quoting psalms. To see the line up of the connector hoses I apply tippex on the cut outs which line up to their small peg on the air box. Anyway all back together and the engine fires up first push of the electric welly button and idles smoothly with no leakages. Sorted.

The engine oil did not smell of petrol nor was the height any different from when I changed it last year. As a precaution though I decided to flush out the brake and clutch fluids although I doubt that the bike will be ridden anytime soon.

TTFN

Hugh.
jet.jpg
jet.jpg (120.06 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
Attachments
slide.jpg
slide.jpg (178.59 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

Return to “BIKES”