Aprillia Pegaso 650?

The Things We Ride
Strada

Re: Aprillia Pegaso 650?

Post by Strada »

Had one for over 2 years without a single issue - cracking bike and mega value for money!

Strada6.JPG
Strada6.JPG (134.97 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
P10100192.JPG
P10100192.JPG (74.92 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
Selous

Post by Selous »

africajim wrote:There's a lot of 650 BMW's going around, unlike Pigaso's!

I've got an F650ST, 97, 14K miles looking for my money back on it at £900.
Fiona's got an F650GS, 06, soon to be replaced with a new G650GS.
The 650GS twin is to be replaced by the G650GS which is really a 650! Confused? Soon will be if you buy that Pegaso! LOL!
I'm not a BMW fan, but the F650 made a great winter hack and at the right money!
I think the F650 was the one I saw on here, I asked ffor photos to be posted then she decided not to sell :( I think she did say later on will be on the market :)

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
BIG BILL

Post by BIG BILL »

Sorry I may be wrong ( I usually am )

I thought the pegaso used the Yamaha XT 660 engine at least in the early models?

MCN have the review and states XT660 engine??

BIG BILL
Ps I was thinking of buying one also as a hack 1998 £500 squid
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing ( Barry Sheene )
Your along time dead..
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

CRAIGREVO wrote:
Adrian wrote:Bryn,
I don't know Jim but if want my advice, buy his F650ST.
For a very cheap £900 pounds, your getting a lot of bike which you'll use to death for 12 months then probably move on anyway.
Very easy and cheap to run and maintain. The guys at F650.com / .uk are great and there is a wealth of info around for it.
Ade
+1 You wont find one for that price any time soon. We saw Jim buy it, put a new front end on it, new tyres, clutch and its never let him down.
The only down side is, its been ragged buy a crazy Scotsman throughout the winter. :woohoo: But ragged with love by all accounts. Id snap it up. ;)

When buying a bike at the bottom end of the price scale your better off looking for a cosmetically challenged bike(scuffs, scratches) as its totally clear why its priced low. If its in mint condition you need to think why is it so cheap?

If I was looking for a first bike then It wouldn't be an Aplilia. I look for reliability above everything!
Yes the Aprilia uses the BMW engine, but its far from a BMW. It uses Italian electrics and that to me rings alarm bells. (unless of coarse the alarm was wired buy an Italian in that case it might not work.) :laugh:

Have you looked at Dominators / Transalps They can be had for bargain prices sometimes.
Bloody brilliant bikes, here's a pic of my first of two, been on road off road and everywhere in between, absolutely reliable, very much a do everything machine.
My last one had an acerbis tank and MX guards, and looked the dogs danglies.
PS the KLR in the pic was one of mine also, another good bike but I'd pick the Big H over it which is how it got sold to a friend.
IMG_0008_2011-04-15.JPG
IMG_0008_2011-04-15.JPG (46.04 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

I do like the look of the Dominators, they look pretty oldschool and they're going for pretty cheap online. Decisions decisions! I want to get a bike by the time I've passed my test (hopefully next 3 weeks), and I want it ready to ride by then (restricted, taxed and MOT'd).
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Re the restriction kit, I believe that anything can be restricted as it's done by washers in the inlet tracts, but you will need the paperwork to go along with them for the insurance peeps.
Ben's was done on the Ducati before he picked it up, and removed just as soon as he could.
Hope that helps.
Good luck for Thursday.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
sethmopp

Post by sethmopp »

Early pegasos were Rotax with a 5 valve head, whilst the later ones were a Yamaha motor. I had no problems (mechanically) with mine, a 2007 model. I think I would have bought the strada (with hindsight)but the trail was OK as an all rounder, but luggage was a bit of an issue. Economy was good and it had a lively motor.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Bryn,
If you do end up buying an F650GS like mine, then I have a restrictor in the garage you can have.

Ade
africajim

Post by africajim »

The actual restrictor's worthless, it's the paperwork registered you need, can be bought and fitted through most bike shops.
I have a restrictor here for a GS 650, registered to Fiona's BMW. Which yes, she did offer on this site but due to a deal falling through with BMW she withdrew.
She has a new G650GS on order and it will be back on the market once the new bike arrives and it is legally restricted. Bit more than a grand for it tho!
Honda, the power of dreams.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

I had one of the first 650 Pegasos in the country (1994).

I kept it for 10 years.

In that time the unscheduled replacement parts it needed were

2 x front stoplamp switches (a BMW part).

1 x sidestand bolt.

Apart from that, just an annual oil/filter change and new battery and chain.

It was built alongside the BMW F650 in the Aprilia factory in Italy and uses the same electrics etc, and is just as reliable.

In fact, it was the most reliable motorcycle I have ever owned.

Return to “BIKES”