Best Trail Bike You've Ever Owned?

The Things We Ride
I of the strom

Re: Best Trail Bike You've Ever Owned?

Post by I of the strom »

Hoggyf wrote:
My ideal would be a CCM404DS with a six-speed box (or a DR350S engine).
I was just thinking the other night that the CCM404 or CCM644 with a DR350 motor in would be a brilliant TRAIL bike.
Nice idea. Have a GasGas 400 chassis somewhere, now that and the DR350 engine would be a nice marriage. Hmmm need to think about that...
ZX Raziel

Post by ZX Raziel »

KTM 380 EXC two stroker , what a beast that was . (thumbs)
Gavinskii

Post by Gavinskii »

For me it has tobe my old TTR 250

Leccy boot, six speed box and bullet proof

:)

003.JPG
003.JPG (94.31 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

Another vote for the DR 350 :)

Had the more enduro one without eletric start etc, but it stated 2nd kick every time (unless it had been upside down, then it went up to 5!)
It would chugg up any rocky climb with me a mere passenger, was plenty quick enough for trail riding and relaxed enough on the road.
If I would buy a new one tomorrow If I could
Sadly I ruined mine by having it bored out to 385cc

Replaced it with a DRZ 400 that unlike everyone couldn't get on with at all!
Beam me up

Post by Beam me up »

I'm not too critical of any of the trail bikes I've owned taking the view that they are what they are and if they're pigs to ride it just adds to the fun.

The one I have the fondest memories of was my XT500 which was the least subtle approach to riding through a bog. Eventually I felt I needed something with brakes so acquired an XT350 which was also a great bike. Probably the most competent, versatile bike I've had was the KTM 400exc.
1988 K100RT

Various small, smokey 2 stroke trail bikes
special one

Post by special one »

Drz400s for me too, in fairness it's the only one I've owned at that size, but in terms of all round use, there's not much around to rival it IMO.

I'd like to build one day, a trail bike based on a drz but with a suzuki sv650 twin engine, that would be entertaining.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
special one

Post by special one »

This type of thing but they have used a curvy (pre 2003) frame...

Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

An MTX 125. I was 15 at the time and had no money to spend on maintenance every penny went on fuel. I was young enough to enjoy it with no fear and it just took every bit of abuse that was thrown at it by me and all my mate taking turns.

It had no water pump so the pipe in and pipe out were connected together. Every so often the pressure would build up so high and the connection would fail. It would cover your leg scalding water (it got ghost ridden quite often). The system was then simply refilled from the nearest puddle/pond or river and we were back in business. I loved that bike. :unsure:
I of the strom

Post by I of the strom »

To add to the list:

Used to enduro on an old twin shock XR500 and loved it. It had had every trick bit that could be got from the Baja circuit and I loved that engine but the bike was always looking to kill you as everything else about it terrible.
Could take it out and trail ride from dawn to dusk, put it away and no matter how long it was left manky and unloved, it would fire up at first ask and be happy to do it all again.

Also for the list - the excellent and go anywhere XR200. Totally reliable and a pleasure to ride.
I of the strom

Post by I of the strom »

special one wrote:This type of thing but they have used a curvy (pre 2003) frame...

Nice looking bike. Always to great to see someones great project in motion -genius.

Return to “BIKES”