Who's top dog in 'adventure' and 'touring'?

The Things We Ride
smudge

Re: Who's top dog in 'adventure' and 'touring'?

Post by smudge »

One persons ride is anothers adventure .. there are a few members of this site who can recite tales of daring do who think nothing of a trip to, say, Albania, whereas for others this would be the adventure of a lifetime .. it is all relative.

I personally think any road you hav'nt travelled before is an adventure to some extent :)

As for the original question from Alun .. dont think any one manufacturer ticks all the boxes .. If I was pushed I would have to say Honda .. the Goldwing is probably the ultimate tourer .. The Varadero a good 'adventure' bike, big and reliable ;)
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

africajim wrote:
Vindaloo wrote:Just my unbiased opinion ...

Best 'adventure' bike ... KTM 990 Adventure

Best 'touring' bike ... I'm not that old yet.
Ha ha! Like that! Similar to my pipe and slippers attitude to BMW!

Katoom no good up here, you'd get bored of running out of petrol and pushing the thing! (200 miles between filling stations!)

Enough macho BS, gettin to the toilet on time can be an adventure for some on here! You don't have to cover heaps of miles over goat tracks in Africa to have an adventure.
I'm going to cross from Speyside to The Glenlivet, over the Lecht to Corgarff then over the hills to Deeside to meet likeminded individuals at Braemar for a tour of the Deeside area from Largewayround, followed by a bellyfull of food cooked by Craig's delectable wife Jenifer!
If that's not a serious adventure you've been reading too much posts on ADVrider!

Get out there and cover some miles!
So the day will be an Adventure, and the ride will be a tour.
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

smudge wrote: As for the original question from Alun .. dont think any one manufacturer ticks all the boxes .. If I was pushed I would have to say Honda .. the Goldwing is probably the ultimate tourer .. The Varadero a good 'adventure' bike, big and reliable ;)
So what can the Vara do that the Goldwing cant, What classifies it as an Adventure bike? :whistle:
africajim

Post by africajim »

Coz my Varadero will go wherever you can take your Africa twin, that makes it every bit as much an adventure bike to your @T.
Big difference is it'll do it faster and in more comfort and carry two people better.

So you're telling me you can't have an adventure unless you go off the tar? That's tosh.

I'll be out on my bike having an adventure tomorrow, call it what you like, I know what I'll be doing. See you at the boil or Galloway and continue this conversation.
Honda, the power of dreams.
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Up here in Scotty Land , off roading or greenlanes are few and far between. And normally not legal .. So us poor adventurers have to make do with riding the roads.

But Some of the roads around these parts are like driving off road.

Everytime I go out on my bike , it feels like an adventure to me .. the open road, grit , sand all year , pot holes , sheep, deer. All the wonderful eagles and other birds of prey , pheasants.

And there is the beautiful scenery.. takes your breath away and makes you feel alive inside ..

Just my thoughts . . . .
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

I'm not saying your bike isn't as good as mine, so calm down. :woohoo:
Im pointing out that the difference between a goldwing and a Vara, is the Vara has offroad ability so its classed as an "adventure" bike. If it didn't it would be classed as a tourer. So by that reckoning adventure means offroad. Or am I wrong?
Vindaloo

Post by Vindaloo »

You can have an adventure on any bike but that doesn't mean that all bikes are adventure bikes. My most adventurous rides were on my Enfields when I lived in India but I wouldn't really call the Bullet an adventure bike.

Adventure is a broad and emotional term, more marketing than substance. However most of us (I suspect) would categorise a 'proper' adventure bike as one which you can ride from the Nurburgring to the Gobi carrying enough for a self supporting trip, preferably with the styling of a Dakar racer.

aka my 990! ;)

As for mpg ... With the ASBO attitude my KTM has it's only right that it drinks a lot. :evil:
davsato

Post by davsato »

why dont we ignore "touring" and "adventure" and just call it "riding"? it'd be dead boring if we all had the same opinions but IMO the important thing is we choose to ride not drive walk or get the bus. my uncle had a cortina mk4 with no brakes and tyres thinner than the front on my varadero, i defy anyone to say driving in it wasnt an adventure.
2 guys at work are planning a "pompey to pompeii" trip on their vespas, thats more out there adventure than anything ive done, so why isnt a PX125 an adventure bike? labels arent really for me.
Dave
Vindaloo

Post by Vindaloo »

davsato wrote:why dont we ignore "touring" and "adventure" and just call it "riding"? it'd be dead boring if we all had the same opinions but IMO the important thing is we choose to ride not drive walk or get the bus. my uncle had a cortina mk4 with no brakes and tyres thinner than the front on my varadero, i defy anyone to say driving in it wasnt an adventure.
2 guys at work are planning a "pompey to pompeii" trip on their vespas, thats more out there adventure than anything ive done, so why isnt a PX125 an adventure bike? labels arent really not for me.
What did you have to get all sensible (and of course correct) for??

I was having fun being arsey.
dusz

Post by dusz »

Like rider ,like bike. Who gives out the ASBO's?????

Return to “BIKES”