Top 10 Adventure bikes for Short Riders?

The Things We Ride
corbine

Top 10 Adventure bikes for Short Riders?

Post by corbine »

Fern

Re: Top 10 Adventure bikes for Short Riders?

Post by Fern »

its such a misnomer that short arses need low bikes.... after dropping the bike enough times you learn not to! Just make sure it is drop-proof!

5'5 and ride a drz! You don't need to put both feet firmly on the ground when you stop!
moto al

Post by moto al »

Being a short arse didn't stop gaston rahier winning the Paris dakar (thumbs) al
image_2014-01-22-2.jpg
image_2014-01-22-2.jpg (37.44 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
moto al
Beam me up

Post by Beam me up »

The fact that he couldn't put his foot down probably did a lot to improve his riding skills
1988 K100RT

Various small, smokey 2 stroke trail bikes
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

I agree with Fern, I'm 5'6" tall and had a DT125R for the L-plate period on then had a DR-Z400S. You soon learn to deal with it.
gsdman

Post by gsdman »

Im a short arse by definition you know the stuff knee protectors in ya trousers half way down ya shin, jacket sleeves you could wipe your arse with whilst still wearing it and so on.
I ride a ktm990 adv and do like to get it off road as its ace.

I find its not the hight so much as weight plus height, I can manage a DRZ 4oo very easily as there is not so much weight trying to catch you out, but the bigger heavier bikes its a bugger and its always a walking speed tipple.
Just as well the ktm's crash so well lol!

P.S the Dr650 in that link + larger tank looks a really usefull overland bike.

Tez
I feel lost, So I have Bought a KTM 990 ADV to go look for myself.
FEI-LO

Post by FEI-LO »

gsdman wrote:
I find its not the hight so much as weight plus height, I can manage a DRZ 4oo very easily as there is not so much weight trying to catch you out, but the bigger heavier bikes its a bugger and its always a walking speed tipple.
(thumbs) got to agree with you 100% here - the weight , suspension set up and the way it is centralised seems just as important to the height - due to having non functioning right leg now after spinal op - I recently changed from 200kgs BUELL 750mm seat to 130kgs BetaAlp 4 865mm seat - different bikes completely but thankfully riding confidence was restored and (touchwood) not been caught out .............yet :)
Selous

Post by Selous »

Fern wrote:its such a misnomer that short arses need low bikes.... after dropping the bike enough times you learn not to! Just make sure it is drop-proof!

5'5 and ride a drz! You don't need to put both feet firmly on the ground when you stop!
Dont agree with all you say there, im 5ft 3, when I stop I only use my left foot, (still cant get used to using right foot!), there are times when you do need both feet on the ground.
Although many years a go I had a Suzuki GT500 2 stroke, when stopping at the traffic lights, I had to lean the bike so much (for foot to touch ground), it got to be a bit much starting off again :whistle:
I looked at that list, I dont agree with some of them.

I was looking at a New Bike I went to Triumph Tiger 800 even the sales man said I would be far too short! & that was with the lowered seat, It was suggested I have the whole bike lowered, didn't get the bike in the end.

Although I did ride a F650GS to Spain, (a mates) it had the lowered seat on her, nice & comfey, if I could get one at the right price I would buy one

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com

Return to “BIKES”