Ex demo advice

The Things We Ride
cozmo1589

Ex demo advice

Post by cozmo1589 »

Bike engines are not run in on the bench. They are bench tested for any leaks and tested briefly for operational faults. Can you imagine how much longer engine production would take if they were all run in.
2014 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer DCT Highlander
allanmac

Re: Ex demo advice

Post by allanmac »

The Yamaha dealer where my bro in law works do a few miles on the demo bikes before the public get on them.

Cheers Allan
cozmo1589

Ex demo advice

Post by cozmo1589 »

allanmac wrote:The Yamaha dealer where my bro in law works do a few miles on the demo bikes before the public get on them.

Cheers Allan
Yes that's true mostly all retailers will do a test run on the road, that forms part of the pdi process but as you said, it's just only a few miles. The last couple of new bikes I took delivery of, one had 4 miles on it and the other had 6.
2014 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer DCT Highlander
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

My last two BM`s were ex demo and no problems with the engines, my current 800GS was bought from Balderstons with a 1000 miles on it, serviced before I picked it up and with 18 months warranty. The salesman told me that he runs the bikes in before they are used for demo`s.

Watching the Ducati Multistrada video the other day they build the engine, pressure test it and then when in the bike fill it with oil and run it on a rolling road up to about 6,000 rpm, don`t know if they then drain the oil? but I thought bikes were shipped without oil?

As for warming engines up properly I start my bike and let it idle whilst I put my gloves on and then ride away but keep the revs down to 4,000 max until four bars show on the temp gauge ( normal operating temp) and then ride as normal, of course with old air cooled bikes I used to ride I let them warm up a bit more before I rode away.
johnnyboxer

Ex demo advice

Post by johnnyboxer »

I've run a few BMW's in for dealers, over the years

Great fun :)

Buy a demo & then you haven't hot the tedium of 1000 miles @ 4000 rpm to do & save some cash too
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Yes and the bike was ready to pick up in a couple of days instead of waiting for a new one to be delivered :P I have only ever had one new bike and that was donkeys years ago and running in air cooled engines was a bit different in the day :silly:
TDMTAM

Post by TDMTAM »

Redsoul wrote:have seen an ex demo xt1200z for sale with very few miles but wonder if it s worth the risk
I'd be more worried if it was an R1 or R6 about it getting trashed, but not an XT1200.
You will still have the remaining 2 year warranty.
TAM
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

cozmo1589 wrote:Bike engines are not run in on the bench. They are bench tested for any leaks and tested briefly for operational faults. Can you imagine how much longer engine production would take if they were all run in.
I agree they are not "run in" but they are run and also put on a dyno before leaving the factory, so the old "running in" period does not exist as per the old days, I also understand you should never put full synthetic into a new engine either.

So going back to the ex demo point I can't see how it would affect a bike unless someone has had an accident however minor

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Redmurty wrote:
cozmo1589 wrote:Bike engines are not run in on the bench. They are bench tested for any leaks and tested briefly for operational faults. Can you imagine how much longer engine production would take if they were all run in.
I agree they are not "run in" but they are run and also put on a dyno before leaving the factory, so the old "running in" period does not exist as per the old days, I also understand you should never put full synthetic into a new engine either.

So going back to the ex demo point I can't see how it would affect a bike unless someone has had an accident however minor

cheers Spud ;)
I don't think anyone suggested that they were run in on the bench, just that that had been tested on the bench so the test rider taking a demo bike out wasn't the first person to be starting up a brand new engine.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Redsoul

Ex demo advice

Post by Redsoul »

Well I don't have to worry about the pros and cons anymore of an ex demo bike as some fecking numpty lol got there before me and bought the bike.
On the plus side I have just done a deal on a brand new one for not a lot more money....very happy camper.

Return to “BIKES”