Ktm 950 adventure

The Things We Ride
canazei1200

Ktm 950 adventure

Post by canazei1200 »

I will be lucky enough in about 4 1/2 years to finish work,hopefully for good have some money.and a small pension.

Steph and I fancy.a year long trip to.Aus as a reward for all our years of work.

Want to.do an ABR.type trip travelling around on bikes.

Looking around I want a fairly modern bike without fuel injection carbs please wire wheels chain drive robust and upto some off roading but okay on road and not too complicated to repair.

I have looked and keep coming back to.a 950.Ktm.
Went and looked one over.a couple of days ago but dont really know.enough about them.

Want to get.one in next 12 months so I can learn how to.do repairs ect before we.go and also.do.some off.roading.

I intend to keep my 2003 multi so this would be a second bike.

Any help tips or websites to go onto would be most welcome.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
NOT AS FAST ON A BIKE AS I THINK I AM
gland

Re: Ktm 950 adventure

Post by gland »

best site for knowledge and help is http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/forum.php
mjojom

Post by mjojom »

i thought 950 does have very short servicing intervals.
~ACP~

Post by ~ACP~ »

Great bikes. Known faults are easy to fix. Valve check fairly time consuming but not needed that often. A hoot to ride. Love mine :D

THIS is the best site for Knowledge http://www.ktm950.info/ :P
Big Zed

Post by Big Zed »

Hell of a bike!I bought mine for many of the same reasons, simple, very little electronics and easy to work on.

Last year it did about 8000 miles over three months around Morocco and Europe. I had it serviced a t a KTM dealer half way through. My bike gets a hard life, 14000 miles in a year of ownership a huge portion of that off road. Next year it will be taking me to cape Town. I have had to fix and change things but nothing that puts me off ownership. A carb strip in a riverbed in the Moroccan mountains was tense but cool. Just dirt in the fuel. No injectors to trash, no problem to sort with basic tools and knowledge.

It is a big thirsty beast if ridden hard, it will eat tyres if you abuse the power, it is a big bike for off road (I am 6'4" and have had it raised), it is more than capable of going around the world, it can be easily stripped and worked on with few tools and the only electronics it has are the ECU and a throttle position sensor in the carbs.

I like mine and it will be run into the ground!
jkyz

Post by jkyz »

I bought mine in at the start of the year and love it, Pyndon thread of the work he did to his 950 when he had it is useful to.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.p ... ight=pydon
KTM 950 Adv S 03
RichP

Post by RichP »

I bought my 950 Adventure in 2005 after years off different sports bikes. I kept it til Sept last year and can honestly say it was the best bike I've ever owned. I sold it to a mate on the condition that I could have first refusal when he moves it on. The main reason I sold it was that I did find it a bit of a handful off road in Morocco. I replaced it with a KTM 690 Enduro which is a great dual sport bike but I do miss the fun you could have on the 950. It can be a bit tight on space two up, the front end can feel a little bit vague over 100 mph on the motorway if loaded and requires an expensive valve clearance service every 9000 miles but if you are after a big and fairly simple Adventure bike with real character I don't think you can get better. Cheers Rich
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

I've had mine for years. They are a great bike, but not problem-free.

The main potential problem areas are:

Clutch slave cylinder: choice of either aftermarket or improved OEM replacement part

Side stand; get a relocation kit so it no longer bolts directly to the side of the engine

Fuel pump; Can fail. You can either fit new points to the stock pump or an aftermarket fuel pump.

Bash plate: Standard one not as good as it might be: plenty of aftermarket ones around

Water pump: can fail, but is apparently not difficult to repair/replace

Many of the bikes on the market will have had at least some of this done.

The factory crash bars on mine have taken a few knocks and are worth having.

You get folk moaning about the windscreen and the fact that the brakes aren't as sharp as those on a Yamaha R1 but they probably are riding the wrong bike for them anyway.

It's got the best suspension and engine in its class by a long way, and for its intended purpose nothing else really maters.
desmo666

Post by desmo666 »

had one since 08, done a few trips here is a link to one of them http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/stu-dowell/
the bike has been great, although mine is 990, the 950 is very similar and some say better , fueling especially . hopefully if you are selective all the little upgrades will already have been done, or it will be priced accordingly.
I would buy the same bike again in a shot, had lots of different bikes over the years but this has been the most rewarding, not the best at any one thing but the bike i still enjoy riding.
hope all your travel plans come to fruition. do not know where you are based but if you fancy a mug of tea or two and a chat and look at how the bike fared and mods done you are more than welcome . drop me a pm if interested.
Attachments
1105_2014-01-01.JPG
1105_2014-01-01.JPG (43.78 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
bowber

Post by bowber »

If you go for a 950 get as late as you can, the early ones had a few problems that were altered for later bikes.
I've got one of the first ones, silver and black, and it's a great bike, I've used it off road on rocky and muddy trails and while it's no 450EXC it works just like any other KTM I've ridden off road.
On road it's great and if nice two up, I've been riding it for a day or two over the holidays and it's handled the winds fine that we've had for the last week or two.

Also the power is very manageable, it'll drive off in sloppy mud better than a smaller bike with a lot less power.

Overall a good bike that's capable of going anywhere.

Steve

Return to “BIKES”