CCM 404 or DRZ400

The Things We Ride
kito

CCM 404 or DRZ400

Post by kito »

Ok any one riden both ? On paper the CCM 404 looks much better than a DRZ with its WP suspenshion ect but what's the reality out on the trail ? Does the CCM add up to the sum of its parts and give a better ride ?
I hear the are a few things to address like tight wires round the headstock ect but once all the little ingles are sorted is the CCM as reliable as the DRZ ?
byewayrider

Re: CCM 404 or DRZ400

Post by byewayrider »

well ..all depends on what you want to do...ccm has the same engine and carb..far better suspension and brakes..gearing is personnel choice..

BUT the wiring is quirky but fixable easily,rear sub frame is weak for luggage but fixable,sucks up water through airbox..but Fixable..get the idea everythings fixable..BUT no one has that i know of fixed a big tank on like the drz-s.

The steering geometry is different ..all ccm`s are likeable rouges..the plastics are from Acerbis and that just leaves the metal frame..which can be welded..

Hard to find a good looked after ccm404..

Drz-s is a real go anywhere bike as you probably know and cost more ...

if I was going to Africa or Russia I`d take a sorted drz not a ccm..but for uk trails a ccm will be great..dont know if the ccm suspension can be fixed to the drz..is so its cheap second hand..around £300 for front and rear..

hope that helps..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Will

Post by Will »

Owned both the ccm is better than drz in everyway except seat , and comes with 13ltr tank which is bonus , riding them you wouldn't think they had same engine the ccm is much more responsive and quicker , In 03 I bought 404ds when they first came out used it for commuting and enduro's, trail riding for 3 years no problems at all (thumbs)
Bsa A10
jimbobthebear

Post by jimbobthebear »

I've got a CCM, Love it. My pal had a DRZ and it was a bit of a tractor compared to the CCM which is much more rewarding to ride quick off road. It's been really reliable over the last 3 years. The wiring is a little tight but i've had mine down to bare frame to tart it up a bit and i'm happy with the wiring now, also sorted the air box niggles too. swapped all the plastics for white acerbis stuff. looks pretty smart now.

CCM gets my vote although I can't knock the DRZ as rugged allrounder
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Bear in mind that there are three different models of DR-Z: S = trail, E = Enduro, and SM = super moto and four different models of CCM

404E = Enduro 404DS = trail, and each could be ordered in standard or supermoto trim, or with a conversion kit.

I've ridden a DR-Z400E and own a CCM404DS.

Early versions of the DR-Z E are illegally loud, that is to say they won't even pass scrutineering at an ACU event. They all lack the full road equipment of S version and the DS version of the CCM.

The DR-Z E and S suspension is not very good as standard, but can be made better. The SM suspension is good for its intended use, which is primarily road riding.

The CCM suspension is unbeatable, but needs to be set up properly. There is no linkage to wear out on the CCM.

The attention to detail on the Suzuki is better than on the CCM. The airbox on the CCM appears to have been designed by a lunatic, and have been inspired by the grass collection bin on a cylinder lawnmower.

Most CCMs have been used off-tarmac, with varying degrees of preparation and maintenance.

You can still get DR-Z SMs and Ss that have never seen mud.

There are various issues across both makes that are common to the Suzuki engine. These include the need to loctite certain bolts under the left-had side cover of the engine, and the output shaft seal failing. There's lots of info and fixes on various forums, or ask here.

My opinion is that if you want a bike primarily for trail riding and maybe the odd enduro, buy the CCM and learn to look after it. Be prepared to sort a few issues. You can buy spares with rapid delivery direct from the factory or from Haines Motorcycles in the Forest of Dean. Haines are a really helpful old-school motorcycle dealer.

If you want something that's predominantly going to be used on the road: either for commuting or a bit of touring with a few unmade roads thrown in, get the DR-Z400S. Similarly if you want a long range fuel tank, or any other accessories to suit the bike for a particular purpose then go Suzuki.

If you want something for sporty road riding get the SM version of the Suzuki.

The biggest drawback on all these bikes it the lack of a sixth gear. And for this reason, if the Suzuki DR-Z S ticked all the boxes for me, I wouldn't get one...I'd go for the Suzuki DR350S instead...slightly less power, no water-cooled complications, same suspension, lighter weight and six perfectly-spaced ratios in the nicest motorcycle gearbox ever built.

And yes, I used to own one of those too. I remember when it first launched, Cycle magazine said

"Hands-down, this is the best four-stroke trail bike ever to come out of Japan."

All these decades later, I think they are still right.
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

That's a bloody good summing up from R.S. Thanks.
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
samz

Post by samz »

CCM everytime if you do go offroad. I've had a DRZ :(
kito

Post by kito »

Just bringing this thread back up as Iv still not had chance to buy my bike. I am planning a long distance offroad ride next year so it sounds like the CCM is the better bike but something else I have been woundering about is the strength of a few things
DRZ main frame strength vs CCM
DRZ swing arm strength VS CCM
DRZ sub frame strength vs CCM
does anyone know if any parts are reputed to be week ?
I have a mig welder so can gusset the frame but the swing arm is another matter
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

The CCM sub-frame is not as strong as that on the DRZ-S.

If you are planning to load up with luggage etc use the DRZ-S, and consider upgrading the suspension with better springs.

There's far more in the way of big tanks, luggage, comfortable seats etc for the Suzuki...and heavily laden the CCM will handle just as badly as a heavily-laden Suzuki.

The CV carb in the DR-Z S engine gives better mpg than the pumper carb in the CCM and E model Suzuki too, and the Suzuki is easier to work on and more reliable.

But the CCM is still the better bike!
kito

Post by kito »

hi thanks for the reply Richard but realy im just trying to find some details on these specific things as most other things I can fabricate most other things I need I think. if anyone knows anything about these questions its much appreciated
I have been woundering about is the strength of a few things
DRZ main frame strength vs CCM
DRZ swing arm strength VS CCM
DRZ sub frame strength vs CCM
does anyone know if any parts are reputed to be week ?
thinks for all replys

Return to “BIKES”