New CCM

The Things We Ride
Whippet

Re: New CCM

Post by Whippet »

"Spot on" Sprockette, the proof will be in pudding. I've got my test ride at the factory next week so I will reserve judgement until after then . however , I did examine the machine at the NEC and it looked a very nice piece of kit. As far as I'm concerned it's just what the Adventure Bike market needs, I couldn't pick a fully loaded GS up on my own in the middle of no where !. Of course looking at a machine is different from riding one , I hope I'm not going to be disappointed, I shall report back.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i belve the homaglation bike has been tested ..in germany not the uk

..its has to be used and then then retested for the emmisions and such and they must be consistant over a extended period of time ....

the stuff that mike 54 has posted up is what i have been told in several conversations at bolton ..

what seems to be consistnt with the ccm is at the people who ride it in general really do like it

..but te concerns over the g450 engine is its main concern ..so it is for me too
i do belive that a lot of work has gone into the engine management of the bike ....

when i was out a couple of weeks ago on the ccm i was on the long term test bike ..the engine in this bike has been running for over one year and is in its third chassis ...as a lot of redesign has gone into the mainspar mostly to do with the triangulation and rising rate of the suspension linkages atached there too
thre really is absalultley nothing wrong with that engine ..its pulls sweet as a nut
the new ecu fuelling is much improved particularly lower down ..its off road ridabilty is really exelent feet up u turns are easy on tickover for instance and the low spped lugability in tough rocks and stuff is extreamly good i think it will be really good in slow going bumpy stuff ..
the engine delivery has been softned and th3e fuelling slow med and high is very good now ...its improved so much ..walking pace ..picking through tight stuff ....mid range ...just picks up the next gear and runs and pulls freeley and well higher up with a little power surge near the end

one thing im sure of is that the bike will have to work much less hard to get through deep sand or mud and stuff like that and so will the rider ..so that in itself will take some of the strain away ..even on some of our tougher trails it really wont be in anyway stressed
..and riding sand would be dare i say so much easier for any rider no matter what level ..
you could make very decent progress with little clutchwork at half the available revs when overlanding ..less stalling ..less bogging down ..therefore less heat ..crossing the sandy pistes in marroc would be easy and fuss free on this bike without having to get anywhere remotly near its full potential..ridden with a degree of mechanicle sympathy..the bike would be making very good progress at half the available revs

..so i have the idea with some justification that the bike itself can cause less strain to itself as its ridability extreamly good
for example
the little embankment at the bottom ..you can ride any big bike up it with a but you have to kind of attack it get a fair bit momentum going and keep it ..its a gret little place just to test out the engine charactaristics ..typical of what you find on the trails ...

but by conterast the ccm you can literally ride up at walking pace with a extreamly low throttle and it just climbs it no bother at all ..i just kept going slower and slower and taking harder lines ..i was waiting for it to stall or spin up ... but it didnt it just chugged up ..with just alittle nudge on the throttle here and there ..no clutch ..its so easy and the bike is almost doing nothing ..probably a few hundred above tickover (thumbs)

dropping it down off the rock steps is just so easy too its confidence inspiring ..and the lack of mechanicle effort gives me the idea that it should hold together well ..i hope so

i guess its understandable to have concerns ...but ive seen enough and heard enough to give the bike a chance ..it is afterall covered by a full warranty as well ..
the sensible option is i aggree to wait 12 months .. but i honestly think it will be a whole lot better that some people think in the long term

..you cant blame anyon for waiting to see how it goes

..i may be right and of course may be wrong ..heres hoping

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Although I have vowed never to buy a new bike again I do really like the look off this cant wait to see Minkys.
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

Interesting that in its original BMW spec the engine was good for 70 hours between services.

After all, 70 hours at 50 mph is 3500 miles. So 5000 miles for the gentler tune sounds ok. And in any case I tend to ride very sympathetically when I'm thousands of miles from home.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
scutty

Post by scutty »

The 70 hours is Race-Hours though so they are not pottering around at 50mph and 3k rpm in 5th.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

scutty wrote:The 70 hours is Race-Hours though so they are not pottering around at 50mph and 3k rpm in 5th.
EXACTLY
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

Mike54 wrote:TECHNICAL BULLETIN
06/01/2014 – SERVICE INTERVALS 1.0
CCM GP450 Adventure bike service intervals will be set at 5000miles/8000km.
The GP450 engine was previously employed in an off-road motorcycle with recommended service intervals of 70 hours after the initial 10 hour service interval.
Oh dear. When things sound too good to be true they often are (too good to be true).

I've since found out that the service intervals for the BMW G450X are
- every 10 hours: change engine oil/filter
- every 20 hours: check valve clearances
- every 70 hours REPLACE PISTON AND RINGS, check for crank play

So does the 5,000-mile service interval from CCM involve replacing the piston and rings?
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
scutty

Post by scutty »

No (its not a G450X race bike)
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Well thats nailed it Tim !!! i was looking at a 450X over here for good money but sod that now unless you've got hrs mixed up with weeks !!!
Phil
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

oh dear

Return to “BIKES”