Technology

The Things We Ride
chrisinflight

Technology

Post by chrisinflight »

I tried to reply to the bmw hill-start thread but started a new post by accident.

I like bikes for what they are- 2 wheels, a frame and an engine. As long as there is a front brake and a back brake I`m happy! :)

Minimalistic, I believe will not sell. Added gadgets will sell but do you need them? no.
2016 Beta 300rr- In the 2 stroke come-back club!

picos mestizo

Re: Technology

Post by picos mestizo »

chrisinflight wrote:I tried to reply to the bmw hill-start thread but started a new post by accident.

I like bikes for what they are- 2 wheels, a frame and an engine. As long as there is a front brake and a back brake I`m happy! :)

Minimalistic, I believe will not sell. Added gadgets will sell but do you need them? no.
Thats also about my brief.
If it's light & functional you don't need the safety gizmos like a heavy over braked & overpowered bike does.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
dodursley

Post by dodursley »

The hitech bits are OK if they continue to work. Now days most mechanical bits seem to work more reliably than they used to, although certain bits appear not to. But the electronic boxes especially the 'toys' do not have that reliability and cost a lot to replace and the customer is generally locked into the manufacturer. Vehicles will get junked due to electronic failure instead of mechanical failure.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I agree .... `less is more`
I think most of the modern bikes are monstrosities (to look at) and over weight
(just like my ex)
I appreciate that a heavy, well engineered bike has better high speed stability and performance
but prefer the pure lines of minimalist engineering

for me
air cooled
pure and simple
flat low level seat
.. like some of the pics on her recently .. perhaps with upgraded modernised suspension and brakes .. surely with all the modern technology available there can be a very efficicent air cooled engine made that can meet emission control regs and noise etc, and very light tubular frames of high strength ... so that the original looks are kept but upgraded with lighter/stronger/more powerful ?
.. tho I also appreciate that modern man prefers to buy the transformers look, with complexity, high technology and one-up-manship
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Minimalist and most aircooled bikes are rough old dogs, with poor dynmaics, poor power,poor emissions,poor mpg and have little going for them in the mainstream motorcycling of the 21st Century
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Brads

Post by Brads »

I`m all for it.

If I want vintage spanner dependant biking, I get out the 1959 Lambretta, with its crap suspension and even worse brakes.
Round the world ???

Round the bend more like !
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

johnnyboxer wrote:Minimalist and most aircooled bikes are rough old dogs, with poor dynmaics, poor power,poor emissions,poor mpg and have little going for them in the mainstream motorcycling of the 21st Century
Mmmmmmm

I ride an 1991 R100RT (have two) and have an F800GS which is soon to depart.

I can pull them apart whenever I need to, or feel like.

I can fix virtually anything and everything myself.

It also doesn't cost me £200 for simple things like servicing - parts are reasonable and easily available. Actually, parts are cheap compared to the new bikes.

It runs well, stops well enough, has enough power to pull me and a load of gear wherever I want to go. It usually turns out around 200-220 miles per 21 litres (but I probably am a slow arse).

Yes, the F800 suspension is a wonderous thing, petrol is a little better, it's faster and has better lights.

Dear Doctor - does this mean I need help :( ?

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
devon john

Post by devon john »

if you change your bikes every couple of years thers no problem BUT me i tend to keep my bikes.
i have just sold my Buell a great bike but if i have a problem ie electronics my nearest dealer is 75mls away and has it gets older thers going tobe problems.
i have two big older harleys that have done massive milage and can fix myself easly.
just bought a Royal ENfield for the same reasion easy home mantainance.
the dealers love these modern bike and cars great busnes for them
john
special one

Post by special one »

Brads wrote:I`m all for it.

If I want vintage spanner dependant biking, I get out the 1959 Lambretta, with its crap suspension and even worse brakes.
Couldn't agree more, on the whole modern bikes are just better, more efficient, lighter (some will argue this) etc etc, I welcome anything that makes my riding more comfortable, safer and more enjoyable.

I've got traction control on my explorer, not something I'd actively want on a bike, that said, I've had it flash a few times while powering out of corners in the wet and on crappy roads, I doubt I would've lost traction without it as you can feel as it starts to slide a little bit and can correct it.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

devon john wrote:i have two big older harleys that have done massive milage and can fix myself easly.
just bought a Royal Enfield for the same reasion easy home mantainance.
the dealers love these modern bike and cars great business for them
john
Yep, have to agree re. the dealers and modern bikes. Sometimes it is just so therapeutic going off into the man cave for a few hours.....

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/

Return to “BIKES”