Dr 350 suggestions

The Things We Ride
Redmurty

Dr 350 suggestions

Post by Redmurty »

I need to start to ride again, I have a DR 350 which is in decent nick I have put AC10 on it but the road manners are erm interesting, so my question is what would you do to your Dr if you could ? and what intermediate tyre would you put on it.

I am also looking at creating a tool kit what would you carry ?

are they worth doing up or just ride the thing into the ground ?

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
pinball1008

Re: Dr 350 suggestions

Post by pinball1008 »

Sorry don't know anything about the DR, but have a look here regarding toolkits
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/e ... ools-72530
Might be of some use.
Not all those wandering are lost
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

Having had a CCM644 earlier in the year (and looking for a DR350 ;) ) I would probably say the biggest thing with trail bikes is tyres. When my CCM was on Knobblies it was "interesting" on tarmac but on the supermoto wheels it was fantastic. Check if the wheels run true etc, balanced then maybe try a less aggressive tyre if you're staying on the tar.
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
Elle

Post by Elle »

AC10s on the Serow, I'm too stingy to replace good tyres but I wouldn't get another set. You get used to the spongyness in corners on tarmac, there's plenty of grip :)
Got Heidenau's on the DR & they were really good on and off tarmac this summer but I haven't tested them in wet stuff.
Personally, I'd keep the DR and set it up to suit yourself. With some modifications, I'd definitely consider riding a DR350 long distance (time permitting). There's lots of s/h spares around, both in the UK and abroad.
If you're not sure about keeping it, perhaps we can have a go at putting the 350 engine in my 250! I'm told they have the same frame ;)
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Elle wrote:AC10s on the Serow, I'm too stingy to replace good tyres but I wouldn't get another set. You get used to the spongyness in corners on tarmac, there's plenty of grip :)
Got Heidenau's on the DR & they were really good on and off tarmac this summer but I haven't tested them in wet stuff.
Personally, I'd keep the DR and set it up to suit yourself. With some modifications, I'd definitely consider riding a DR350 long distance (time permitting). There's lots of s/h spares around, both in the UK and abroad.
If you're not sure about keeping it, perhaps we can have a go at putting the 350 engine in my 250! I'm told they have the same frame ;)[/quote

I would imagine new spares are also still available because the engine is still used in the Beta Alp4.0
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

It's a keeper but I looking at whether I should chuck a little money at it over the winter and I may even look at riding it to the Hiss next year as mauling the Tiger around at the moment is not doing my neck the best favours.

I am sorting the seat out and may take some bits off over the winter in between rides and clean and fettle it. I am reading the adventures of a guy who rode around Russia on a 350 it may just take a little longer to get somewhere.

I pondering how much it's worth chucking at it

cheers Spud ;)

boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

AC 10's are fine if you're just trail-riding but if you plan to do more roadwork I would go for Michelin T63's or Pirelli MT21's.

I have two sets of wheels (they come up quite often on ebay), one set has enduro tyres and the other set has T63's.

I change my oil every 1000 miles and use a genuine filter (don't forget the oil screen in the frame).

DR's can look scabby pretty quick as there isn't a lot of paint on them to start with. Overall they are a great bike, I plan to ride mine to the Pyrenees next year :)
one-legged adventurer
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Redmurty wrote:It's a keeper but I looking at whether I should chuck a little money at it over the winter and I may even look at riding it to the Hiss next year as mauling the Tiger around at the moment is not doing my neck the best favours.

I am sorting the seat out and may take some bits off over the winter in between rides and clean and fettle it. I am reading the adventures of a guy who rode around Russia on a 350 it may just take a little longer to get somewhere.

I pondering how much it's worth chucking at it

cheers Spud ;)
If you're going to use the ferry down to Santander then you'll be glad you took the 350 because you'll have a lot more fun on the trails.
Santander / Bilbao to Albaracin is about 300 miles some of which could be done off road so not too much tarmac work.
Doing the Hiss is on my backburner @ the moment.
I would certainly use the ferry because it's the cheapest & fastest way to get there.
I would like to do the Bardenas Reales national park / desert on the way down + some other POI's so a lot more off than on tarmac meaning no need for a heavy fast bike.
Maybe we could get a like minded contingent together for the trip down in the new year.
I speak from experience because I have used the ferry many times & I also did the first Hiss.
Lightness is everything.

Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

A mate is looking at doing the HISS Aragon with me next year but his job can take him away at very short notice. The present plan is to ferry and trailer the bikes. But if that falls through I fancy a road trip on it.

Do I strip it and clean and fettle it all up or just ride it and not worry as it is going to get a dirt rash at some point.

I will need to sort some lighter travelling kit out though

a small group of us travelling would be good Pico's

cheers Spud ;)

picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Tidy & serviced, all adjusted up nicely with a decent set of not too extreme boots, good chain, sprockets & some meat on the brakes.
I'll use some throw over panniers with a lomo bag.
Lightness is everything.

Return to “BIKES”