CCM 'hard' launch at NEC

The Things We Ride
Tonibe63

Re: CCM 'hard' launch at NEC

Post by Tonibe63 »

CCM has always been a niche market manufacturer and personally I don't think Mr Clewes is interested in building a big Company where he has to fight with Directors and investors to maintain control of his business.
The design is fresh (well as fresh as an offroad bike can be) and the price is in the ball park with mass produced bikes of a similar type, so good on the guys that have put their money on the line as they alone will have the privilege of finding out how it performs B) .
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

No wonder the manufacturers are confused..first they bring us the GS and its 1200cc clones at up to £16k each...and the internet is full of heroes telling us that they are no good for adventuring ( whatever that is) ..what is needed is something small light and with off road capability they say.....

in comes CCM...what do the same heroes say now??? no good for adventuring..too small , too light, too expensive at £8k.

so now I can help them..................what is clearly needed is a 650,with off road ability and proven engine and components costing £5k otr new............................

only one contender.......Husky 650 Terra......................... nothing like recommending your own bike :laugh: B) B)
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

-Ralph- wrote:We've been spoiled by big modern engines. There was a time when 500cc was a big bike, and in 1969 the CB750 was considered massive and the first superbike!
I couldn't agree more. Back to smaller engines, better economy (hopefully) and lighter too. All good things in my book.
scutty

Post by scutty »

I am really interested in the CCM and I am in the market for a new bike but I am also drawn to the KTM 690 Enduro.
The plan is to replace my KTM SMT with a more mixed-surface capable bike that is significantly lighter. I have a WR250R for dirt-only rides and I want to 'adventurize' the next bike for longer mixed surface riding. I am just not sure I could live with the power drop from my out going SMT when I am out with my road-focused friends.
I test rode the CCM off-road a month or 2 ago but I've not been on road with it and I am struggling to find a 690E demo bike any where. Seems KTM dealers are mostly sold out of 690s this year.
I am going to the NEC to see both, hopefully that might clear things up a bit.
davsato

Post by davsato »

Gedge wrote:No wonder the manufacturers are confused..first they bring us the GS and its 1200cc clones at up to £16k each...and the internet is full of heroes telling us that they are no good for adventuring ( whatever that is) ..what is needed is something small light and with off road capability they say.....

in comes CCM...what do the same heroes say now??? no good for adventuring..too small , too light, too expensive at £8k.

so now I can help them..................what is clearly needed is a 650,with off road ability and proven engine and components costing £5k otr new............................

only one contender.......Husky 650 Terra......................... nothing like recommending your own bike :laugh: B) B)
which they might not be able to make anymore :(
Dave
scutty

Post by scutty »

I discounted the Terra due to its 185 kg wet weight and its end of production status. It does look like a great bike but the after-market is small and unlikely to grow now.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

scutty wrote:I discounted the Terra due to its 185 kg wet weight and its end of production status. It does look like a great bike but the after-market is small and unlikely to grow now.
Loads of stuff for the BMW 650GS fits, so the aftermarket bits are actually quite readily available as is service items...Husly have to do 10 yrs worth of parts too, so they should be easy enough to source...

I tried the bike over the Plain yesterday and its certainly light enough to ride all day off road.... It will be a shame if KTM/Husqvarna do discontinue but as I dont plan on selling mine, I shant be too worried about new ones...Just need to sort out the luggage (Hepco and Becker do frames and I already have theor boxes)and its good to go for next years big trip to europe... B)
davsato

Post by davsato »

husky sold plenty of them in their short life, i cant believe they would let the model go permanently for the lack of an engine.
Dave
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Gedge wrote:]so now I can help them..................what is clearly needed is a 650,with off road ability and proven engine and components costing £5k otr new............................

Ahem - look left? Yeah, the blue thing.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

-Ralph- wrote:
Gedge wrote:]so now I can help them..................what is clearly needed is a 650,with off road ability and proven engine and components costing £5k otr new............................

Ahem - look left? Yeah, the blue thing.
They're not £5k otr new unless you know something I don't.

£6.5k seems to be about the average price for a new (unregistered) 660R and to bring it up to the same spec suspension, wheels and brakes as a CCM will cost at least another grand so there's not so much of a difference. Yes, the 660 has a proven engine and will cruise at a slightly higher speed but that's less important to me than the overall package with the CCM along with the sense of adventure that comes with having a bike a lot of people think will fail :whistle:

Return to “BIKES”