There are bikes, and then there are bikes,,, and then there are BIKES!

The Things We Ride
africajim

Post by africajim »

Ok, mere drunken ramblings. At this time? Well, yes. I'm sampling some cask strength stuff and DAMN IT'S FINE! (Just ask Fiona, she's on it too!) Don't ask, that's what the stillman said to me! ;)

This may be of interest to some, I'd also like feedback on this as well as I'm getting old now, and drunker! ;)

This is a tale of three bikes and my constant battle to decide for the future.
I was up at Ullapool last weekend with the Crosstourer. The Mighty Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer,a fine bike. Does everything it says on the tin. It also does it very well and at warp speed! Anyone who's tried to keep the VFR in the boil (above 8000rpm) will have fought the urge to turn off traction control to allow front wheel lift out of corners without the danger of wheelspin! Ridden hard the Crosstourer is an absolutely amazing bike. The suspension takes a bit of setting up to suit the rider and style but that's what massively adjustable suspension's for! One of the most enjoyable riding experiences of my life and that's matching against Blades, VFR's, R1's, and GSXR's.
Next up, the old Honda XRV750 RD04. Now, we're talking dated technology here! No traction control or anti wheelie! There's no boiling point with it, it's a twin! Simple torque, keep the throttle open and hope for steam! I LOVE riding my old Africa Twin, there's just something about it. You can ride the wheels off it, it's not a scary bike, just pure fun. It wheelies off the throttle in first gear, makes me smile every junction! LOL! 50mpg, same as the Crosstourer but half the power! LOL! Technology I suppose! Great on hard tracks, hangs the tail beautifully at any speed. Wonderful Honda offroad technology, the geometry, the rake, the length of swingarm, brilliant.

I had a seat on Dubbers Sertao at Ullapool and still fancy one of those. I enjoyed my Funduro immensely and yearn for something lighter, better on fuel, with decent offroad ability and touring capable. With this in mind, I took Fiona's G650GS out today for a short ride. After coming off the Africa Twin this afternoon (which I thought was a bit dull this afternoon after the Crosstourer) I jumped straight on to the G650GS thinking if this feels as good as the Africa Twin I might just buy a Sertao,,,,,,, em,,,,,, well,,,,,, it felt really dull compared to the XRV750! :(
Did it wheelie? Well, yes. But being so low geared in 1st it was short lived, like a pushbike! You'd need to sneck it up the box on the back wheel to get distance but I'm no circus entertainer I'm afraid! No torque in comparison but speed was on a par over the same sort of distance (just over the ton).

Sooooo,,,, for those who remember the original Gran Tourismo PS game, the video at the beginning, the music, the build up to getting on to the track? Remember the goosebumps? The Crosstourer does that!
The Africa Twin doesn't,,,,, but it makes you smile! And I don't want to come off the @T once I'm out there.
The G650GS doesn't,,,,, no goosebumps,,,,, no smile,,,,,,, hmmmmmm!

Drunken rantings for sure, but what does it all mean???? I'm unsure.

The Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer is a damned fine bike, a memorable riding experience, especially for sportsbike riders.
The Honda XRV750 RD04 Africa Twin is another damned fine bike, a very pleasant riding experience especially for dirtbike riders.
The BMW G650GS,,,,, well,,,,, it was ok,,,,,,,,hmmmm. A rethink methinks????

Enjoy folks, the whisky is absolutely exquisite tonight! Slainte!
Honda, the power of dreams.
dubber68

Re: There are bikes, and then there are bikes,,, and then there are BIKES!

Post by dubber68 »

Jim the Sertao benefits allot from iridium plugs and a K&N filter, makes it feel abit friskier, but never ridden an Africa twin so can't compare the two. While my Sertao was in for the head bearings they gave me a G650 as a loan bike and I must say it felt different to the Sertao. Test one just in case I would say. You should have taken mine for a spin at Ullapool :whistle:
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
johnzxr750

Post by johnzxr750 »

Easy by a tiger :woohoo: j
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

The Setao would benefit from having the cylinder head off the Husky 65o Terra..not sure why you dont just buy one ....;)
africajim

Post by africajim »

Dubber, agree totally mate, the G650GS feels cramped compared to your Sertao, also Fiona's being lowered makes it worse. BUT,,, it just didn't make me smile. It did everything on the tin, just dull in comparison (but I found the @T dull today).

Agreed, that's twice you've offered me a ride on yours and one day I promise I'll take you up on it (Calterdon BMW Inverness have sold their demo bike :( )

As for Triumph? I'd rather stick pins in my eyes. :(
cozmo1589

Post by cozmo1589 »

I'm with you Jim on the Crosstourer. For me it's the best bike I've ever owned ( and I've had a few in my time) I've got the Dual Clutch Gearbox Version and it's bloody awesome with a capital "A"
There's nothing else on the market at this moment in time that would sway me away from my trusty CT, NOTHING!
2014 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer DCT Highlander
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Load of old bollox, how can you compare a VTwin 60HP+ 750cc bike, against a 652cc 48HP Single Bike

Totally different in terms of engine charactristics and as for chassis as Dubber says totally different again

No contest

You really must have the beer goggles on tonight :dry:
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
africajim

Post by africajim »

Gedge wrote:The Setao would benefit from having the cylinder head off the Husky 65o Terra..not sure why you dont just buy one ....;)
I did consider it, if Denny Irvine in Aberdeen was still selling them, but nearest dealer is Newcastle! I've had dealer issues in the past (Triumph) so a bit dubious about a new bike too far from the dealer. ;) (Some bright fuckwit reckoned I made a mistake buying a Triumph as I lived too far from the dealer???) Turned out to be true,,,, NEVER buy an adventure bike if you live more than 50 miles from a main dealer as they are shite,,,,,,!

So, I'll never own a Triumph,,, EVER AGAIN. That's my last words on that so don't even try to bait me you fuckin trolls.

I'll just wait for the new Africa Twin from Honda,,,, it is coming! ;) (Spoke to Honda last week).
africajim

Post by africajim »

I see, I can highlight the old 60BHP Africa Twin isn't the same power as my 130BHP Crosstourer, but riding either bike can make me smile, which is why I own them, but because the BMW can't?

Go back under your bridge troll. ;)
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

You could of course go for the power of a Cross Tourer (well almost) with the urge of a V Twin, with proven off road ability....

DSCF1035.JPG
DSCF1035.JPG (56.23 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG

Return to “BIKES”