Honda Cross Runner

The Things We Ride
Willandkate

Honda Cross Runner

Post by Willandkate »

Just to a 13 plate demo Cross runner out fro a quick blast. Quick is the main word here. I'd kind of forgotten how fast bikes that aren't 650 singles go. Flippin eck. Defo not an ADV bike though in the senses that the suspension felt rock hard and bumpy, narrow bars (weird/horrible to look at as well as the frame is so low, they've made the height up with yucky looking bars)
Went like the clappers, stopped on a sixpence, costs way too much but still good fun.

Thanks to 21st Moto in Swanley, nice blokes

Cheers
Our biggest ride - Australia to England

www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
africajim

Re: Honda Cross Runner

Post by africajim »

As I always say, horses for courses. My mate Phil from Yorkshire's just bought one but he does have a VFR as well so it's natural progression for him. He loves it. Not an ADV bike? Well, surely that's open to discussion on your perspective of an adventure?
I do agree on one point, although it's Honda's idea of a cross over bike, cross over from what to what? From sportsbike to ,,,,,, em,,,, something that's not a sportsbike????? I don't know. To say Honda has lost direction as far as what the public want is an understatement.

I'm just away to write a new post regarding my thoughts on bikes I've ridden this week, including the Honda Crosstourer, the Honda Africa Twin and the BMW G650GS. Interesting thoughts I assure you.

I suppose it depends what you look for in a motorcycle? Horses for courses! Told you so!
Honda, the power of dreams.
cozmo1589

Honda Cross Runner

Post by cozmo1589 »

Like Honda or loath them, their v4 engines are to die for. Ultra reliable, quick, good service intervals and they are the only manufacturers out there to put a Dual Clutch Transmission onto a bike. Looks can be very subjective but the build quality, fit and finish is the best money can buy and can't really be argued with.
2014 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer DCT Highlander
Willandkate

Post by Willandkate »

ADV bike as in long travel, soft suspension. Bit wallowy handling, soft power. You know, old school ADV bikes not KTM 1190 and all that stuff.
To me even the 800 XC Triumph doesn't feel like an ADV bike. It'll take you there but doesn't encourage you to take your time, soak up the country you're in etc. It just makes you want to fang it and grind your footpegs off. To me, that's not ADV riding.

I even find my Sertao a bit overwhelming in gravel car parks compared to my DR650 its a big old fish out of water

cozmo1589

Honda Cross Runner

Post by cozmo1589 »

Willandkate wrote:Just to a 13 plate demo Cross runner out fro a quick blast. Quick is the main word here. I'd kind of forgotten how fast bikes that aren't 650 singles go. Flippin eck. Defo not an ADV bike though in the senses that the suspension felt rock hard and bumpy, narrow bars (weird/horrible to look at as well as the frame is so low, they've made the height up with yucky looking bars)
Went like the clappers, stopped on a sixpence, costs way too much but still good fun.

Cheers
Was wondering if you didn't like the price, the weird horrible looks, the height, the narrow bars, etc etc why did you bother taking it out for a demo in the first place LOL :-D
2014 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer DCT Highlander
africajim

Post by africajim »

Quickie here from a drunken Scotsman,
WillandKate, I'm not a Honda zealot here to harrang you. I was simply pointing out Honda believe the Crossrunner is a crossover bike from sportsbike to what they think is what the public believe is an adventure bike.
My XRV750RD04 IS AN ADV BIKE! IT SAYS SO ON THE SIDE PANEL,,, ADVENTURE SPORTS!

I appreciate what you're saying mate, I think the proper term is a dual purpose bike?

The Crossrunner is certainly not a dual purpose bike in the eyes of the Africa Twin or the Sertao. Neither is my Crosstourer, although I've covered over 100 miles offroad on mine and it copes well but it is not truely a dual purpose bike in comparison to the @T and the Sertao (Dakar).

I test ride loads of bikes, (never know, I might be missing out on something!) Nought wrong with dipping a toe mate! ;)
Honda, the power of dreams.
davsato

Post by davsato »

however the bike rides its made like a sack of poo, not up to hondas expected standards.

my mate is on his 5th rack under warranty (for rust, the design holds pockets of water that wont drain and the finish and weld quality arent even up to givi standards, let alone honda) every fastener on it is rusting and the paint is wearing through in places already, the tank, the footrest hangers, its only 2 years old. less than that actually.
Dave
Willandkate

Post by Willandkate »

cozmo1589 wrote:
Willandkate wrote:Just to a 13 plate demo Cross runner out fro a quick blast. Quick is the main word here. I'd kind of forgotten how fast bikes that aren't 650 singles go. Flippin eck. Defo not an ADV bike though in the senses that the suspension felt rock hard and bumpy, narrow bars (weird/horrible to look at as well as the frame is so low, they've made the height up with yucky looking bars)

Cheers
Was wondering if you didn't like the price, the weird horrible looks, the height, the narrow bars, etc etc why did you bother taking it out for a demo in the first place LOL :-D
Simple. Bored on a Saturday arvo!

macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Yes I've experienced Honda's V4 engine at it's best, the Crosstourer is an utter PEACH of a bike, I've never experienced such a smooooooth engine, it's unreal/to die for.

Thank you Mr.Honda!
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
piguglyshandydrinker

Post by piguglyshandydrinker »

I bought the Crossrunner that Jim mentions, purely on the back of 1 'have a go' ride on a friend's bike. I was hooked, even though I wasn't looking/couldn't afford a new bike.

New (high) prices have plumetted, a bike with warranty & sensible miles can be had for just over 5k (maybe a sign of their lack of popularity..) quality appears good, as does standard features - abs, cbs, factory immobiliser, alloy frame, hydraulic clutch (so much nicer than cable!).
At least the pegs\subframe & clock brackets are all seperate unboltable items unlike the rather poor welded on items on the 800 Tiger :S

They are not an 'adventure' bike but are a fantastically 'day long' comfortable, entertaining, real world bike.
Think of them as a superbly practical, comfortable sports\sports tourer with great agility on crappy small back roads yet have poise, stable and accurate cornering on bigger\faster roads :)
The high peg, high bar position is slightly unusual at first but you soon settle into it & it's remarkably comfortable with good tank capacity/range....

Of the vfr 750\800s, the vfr800x Crossrunner is without doubt the best real world bike of the bunch :)
The only slight negative is that the suspension can feel a little bit 'budget' at times but not so much as to spoil the bike, fuel consumption in 'touring mode' was within 1/2 ltr per 160 mile fill ups of the 800 Tiger (51-55mpg).

Despite slow sales and a bit of a slating on forums, it's surprising how many (bikers & none bikers) have comented on the good looks of the CR in the flesh, for me, they are not a stunner but the looks are individual & do grow on you.

A couple of pics from this years' boys trip to abr Ullapool & north coast of Scotland.

Phil

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1381655162182.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1381655162182.jpg (37.4 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
uploadfromtaptalk1381655108837.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1381655108837.jpg (21.39 KiB) Viewed 1642 times

Return to “BIKES”