Yamaha XT660R

The Things We Ride
Francis Begbie

Yamaha XT660R

Post by Francis Begbie »

Anyone own one? was looking at these the other day, seems like you can pick them up pretty cheap.

Have read mixed reviews though.
Lairyskippy

Re: Yamaha XT660R

Post by Lairyskippy »

Depends on what you want to use it for. I've had the Tenere and a mate had an 'R' and he went exactly where I went! If you get some decent tyres for it and don't expect to do too much techincal stuff it'll be fine......a wee bit heavy but it ain't gonna break :lol:
Francis Begbie

Post by Francis Begbie »

Nothing really technical. I don't think its any heavier than a GS650 though.

Did he have problems with surging? as that's what i keep reading about. Wondering if it really is a big problem or people just moaning for the sake of it.
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

Not that I recall....the only problem he had was staying on board! Both of us were pretty useless to start with :laugh:
davsato

Post by davsato »

its a revamp of my old 600E, with another incarnation of the old 5 valve watercooled engine, this time with Fi.
havent got a clue why theyve added an extra endcan, emissions? an extra cat? looks? the added weight must use up a lot of the extra oomph 60cc and Fi give it. and upswept exhausts fill with water maybe?
unless you want to sit on the motorway for hours its a good ride, although not as comfy the seat is narrower harder and more offroady than an XT600E.
i always like the 'humpbacked' look of XTs, im glad the newer ones keep it. ive never heard of surging or any other problems
Dave
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Hi there, the xt660r has been used by people to travel all over the world. You can get kit that re-routes the exhaust to give more ground clearance. People have complained about surging although I dont really know much about it. I think when it does occur it is at a certain rev range. Some people put power commanders in to solve the problem. I guess the best way to find out is to ride it and see what you think about it. Have you had a look on xt660.com?
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Francis Begbie

Post by Francis Begbie »

I did read about a different exhaust which shaves off a bit of weight.

Ill have a read on xt660.com cheers.
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Trouble is when you start spending money re-routing the exhaust you might as well just by a used xt660z. You get a 22L tank as well. I think the xt660r is 15L

http://www.off-the-road.de/en/home/?lang=1
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Mr Free Market

Post by Mr Free Market »

I have a second hand ‘08 XT 660 X (owned for 3 weeks), replete with Power Commander & after market cans. As it’s my first single, I am possibly not the best judge but she feels pretty lumpy & still doesn’t fuel properly. :ohmy:

Riding home this evening, holding a steady 34 mph in the traffic, she was not a happy bunny. As I said before – I’m not the expert but she’ll be popped into the garage shortly for someone to take a shufti. :unsure:

Other than that, the XT is the best bike I have ever ever owned. Why the hell did I waste all those years poncing about on race reps. I’m already on the look out for a Z as I have this idea for a medium to serious A-bike build project starting to form in my mind. Please just don't tell the Mrs :whistle:
Over a long enough timeline, everyones survival rate drops to zero
cozmo1589

Post by cozmo1589 »

Hi i have a 2010 model with 1,850 miles on the clock, its a real grunter with major low down torque and bundles of power, keep it in the right gear and she runs a treat, run along in a gear thats too low for the speed and it will be lumpy and spluttery. A real head turner whether onlookers have spotted the bike or heard it first everyone seems to admire it.
2014 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer DCT Highlander

Return to “BIKES”