Richard Simpson

Re: Waterproof spray

Post by Richard Simpson »

Good grief,

For once, I'm lost for words.
Fried Egg Sandwich

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

That's a sobering tale. Thank you Corbs for sharing that warning.
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
Throttled

Post by Throttled »

Bloody hell! Without realising I had made the right decision I use a pump action nick wax spray which means it comes out in not such a fine mist.

I have always been inclined to hold my breath when using sprays, even deodorant. It just seemed wrong to breath in anything like that.
YBR125 > KLE500 + KLE650 Versys Tourer
corbine

Post by corbine »

Apologies for jacking your thread mike -ive read many articles on the web and a few here on the joys of proofing and the responses. I don't claim to be an expert and there may well be some really good manufacturers /suppliers of said products -the main aim was to at least say to people use with caution, quite literally- and follow the instructions fully, not cutting corners with usage-enclosed environments etc.

I couldn't keep reading people talking of the joys of waterproofing textiles /leathers without offering my experience-its kind of emotional you know . haven't made 50 yet.

id rather see all kinds of aerosols from manufacturers go to liquid applicators with a sponge or similar rather than the propellants used. Its too complicated to discuss on mikes thread but for your own sakes and your kids check out your kitchen storage and have a gander at your stashed aerosols. the industry isnt worth millions its billions and what it does to the air around us? ever felt your eyes sting after using mr oven biceps? or your food taste iffy after cooking once used the aerosol.?

there are very old tried n tested variants for many of todays lazy boy products that are less harmful to the environment and our bodies i think. and many subscribers to adv could possibly offer a host of alternatives? and alternative ideas to keeping ones bike clean and ones leathers/textiles/boots gloves etc proofed, clean etc without the use of kamikaze chemicals -that arent good for you, me -the environment, even have signs on saying don't throw this empty can into water as it kills the aquatic life? so why do we use it? selfish easy and not necessarily cost effective.?

im not a green supporter but i can see merit in some of their thinkings -

wake up when its too late?
Heff

Post by Heff »

Holy shit, I never thought about the consequences of using an aerosol, until now.

That's a very sobering thought after what you've been through.

Thanks for sharing the warning
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

+1 thanks for the warning
hope there is a chance of you improving, and getting riding again.
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

corbine wrote:Apologies for jacking your thread mike -ive read many articles on the web and a few here on the joys of proofing and the responses. I don't claim to be an expert and there may well be some really good manufacturers /suppliers of said products -the main aim was to at least say to people use with caution, quite literally- and follow the instructions fully, not cutting corners with usage-enclosed environments etc.

I couldn't keep reading people talking of the joys of waterproofing textiles /leathers without offering my experience-its kind of emotional you know . haven't made 50 yet.

id rather see all kinds of aerosols from manufacturers go to liquid applicators with a sponge or similar rather than the propellants used. Its too complicated to discuss on mikes thread but for your own sakes and your kids check out your kitchen storage and have a gander at your stashed aerosols. the industry isnt worth millions its billions and what it does to the air around us? ever felt your eyes sting after using mr oven biceps? or your food taste iffy after cooking once used the aerosol.?

there are very old tried n tested variants for many of todays lazy boy products that are less harmful to the environment and our bodies i think. and many subscribers to adv could possibly offer a host of alternatives? and alternative ideas to keeping ones bike clean and ones leathers/textiles/boots gloves etc proofed, clean etc without the use of kamikaze chemicals -that arent good for you, me -the environment, even have signs on saying don't throw this empty can into water as it kills the aquatic life? so why do we use it? selfish easy and not necessarily cost effective.?

im not a green supporter but i can see merit in some of their thinkings -

wake up when its too late?
Hey no worries and thanks for the info. I will use a proper face mask.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
IainD

Post by IainD »

Avoid all the grief and put a pair of marigolds over your gloves
Alba

Post by Alba »

Corbine thanks for sharing this untold danger, you are 100% correct in advocating the use of the tried and tested 'applicator' methods I never thought for one moment that your condition could be the result of using an aerosol.

Keep riding.
boatman

Post by boatman »

Thank you for sharing that :(

Return to “BIKES”