Honda Transalp

The Things We Ride
mad dog

Honda Transalp

Post by mad dog »

Hi all some time ago i was looking at getting a triumph tiger but it never came about to much stuff going on with bikes then working last week i see a nice Honda Transalp 650V in the car park it look like it had been standing for some time with rust and in a bad state but talking to the bloke that was riding the bike he said it was his dad's bike and been left under a cover for 5 years and he wanted to sell it his dad purchased the bike new in 2002 and it has only done 12'000 miles with full service history it had just passed its mot and rides ok and runs nice so i had a good look at the bike and it looks ok apart from the corrosion on most parts and the front tyre looks bad with cracking on the walls so with all the paper work in hand i purchase the bike it had a full service at 11'800 miles and runs sweet and rides very good so i have been working all weekend on the bike new tyres will be need and a battery front brake pads look rusted but all brakes work fine. So any help as to common problems with this model i should be looking for many thanks PJ
Old PJ
Rhys

Re: Honda Transalp

Post by Rhys »

Transalp 650 doesn't really have any problems just check the rims are sound and not rotted from the inside and the output shaft isn't worn but I would doubt either will be a problem at 12,000 miles. I sold mine with 120,000 and the bike looked like a dog but worked ok ;)
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Check the front calipers , the brake pistons have a habit of sticking.

Easy enough to cure .. Piston removal and oil & dust seal job .

As Rhys says , output shaft .. make sure whilst in there to check front sprocket and retaining plate for wear .. if replacing use Honda Sprocket / retaining plate (make sure sprocket is on the right way , 15T facing out)

A good source of Honda Spares .. David Silver http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

Huge amount of Transalp info over at XRV Forum http://www.xrv.org.uk

LWR
mad dog

Post by mad dog »

Thanks for information lads will check it out this week i got most of the front end out at moment and will work my way to the back of the bike .

PJ
Old PJ
mad dog

Post by mad dog »

Hi all just finish the front end of the transalp brakes all sorted and a new tyre fitted. Last night i had a look at the front drive sproket looks worn but the chain looks ok and the rear sprocket look good even the rear adjustment has never been moved so its showing loads of life still so i might just replace the front sprocket with a pattern for a while and replace all with new next summer is it ok to use a pattern sprocket with the original honda locking plate .

Old PJ
Old PJ
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

maddog..

why use a pattern front sprocket..when 99.9% use honda original..the pattern will knacker the splines..£500 rebuild..

please read through xrv site..its the bible for honda transalps..

as ever your choice but be warned..also use a new sprocket retainer clip..and locktite the two bolts..
david

Post by david »

+1 for the original Honda front Sprocket. £25 Lings or David Silver. £110 for the full set form David silver. Now post pic's of your alp.
mad dog

Post by mad dog »

Ok lad's will get original sprocket .I will post pictures later.
Thanks for info and help.

Old PJ
Old PJ
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

just some info..
the 650 std front is 15t..if you want a higher number the xrv650 uses 16t and fits the alp 650..BUT you need to remove the case protector under the plastic case..c shped metal thingy..this gives slightly lower rpm for cruising and costs the same money..also use the std rear or jt sprockets are fine..and 118 link chain..did x ring is best ..ebay has lots..

happy alping..
david

Post by david »

Tramp................You miss Alping already............Man up.........Don't yeah ;)

Return to “BIKES”