Triumph Tiger 800 XC 2,000miles in

The Things We Ride
sexysi

Triumph Tiger 800 XC 2,000miles in

Post by sexysi »

Well after having my bike almost 2 months and doing just under 2,000miles thought I would share some comments on this minter of a bike.

On road.

Commuting, 42miles a day, It is a dream to ride, avg about 40-42mpg coming into London and that is with a strong wrist. Pulls like an express train, and as I have heard before it is an off road sports bike. You just want to wind it up to hear that Triple engine note.

Normal road riding, is cool, have noticed though that the bars are a long way away, and I do get pins and needles in my wrists after about 1 1/2 Hours cont riding. I have my bike setup so I am on the highest seat position. The bar risers are flipped round to again the highest position. I am 6 foot but prefer to be high up, you see so much more. ABS is very good and it has kicked in a couple of times, but with no problems.

Standing on the pegs is good and this can be done with ease, of course first removing the rubber caps from the pegs, to make them the off road version. This is so easy to do, 5 second job.

I have the bigger screen fitted and it gives good enough cover from the wind. Can't complain.

The clearance from the floor is about 12 inches, going through the Ford at Eynsford, the soles of my boots get a little wet, but I have been through at 1 1/2 foot depth and start to get very wet, but what's a bit of water.

My Tiger has got the Triumph heated grips, used a couple of times when it was raining, my only complaint is that the hottest setting, isn't very hot. My 955 tiger's heated grips that i owned before were way hotter, so could be a pain in the winter when it gets really cold, I'm a all weather rider.

Paint work and finishing is mint, no complaints at all, bike still looks brand new and still and gets loads of looks.

Off road

This seems fine, does want to run away with you going down hill on steep lanes at slow speeds, but makes it more fun. The lanes are so dry at the moment I haven't bothered taking the ABS off so can't really talk about ABS off road, but so far it hasn't kicked in. I am still on the original tyres, but bike seems fine off road on these, will replace before the winter for more off road bias tyres.

Engine wise, no problems whatsoever, apart from a indicator bulb going after 10 days, but that was sorted out for free on the 1st service. All the controls seem to be in the right places and are easy to use.

Was riding behind my other half a couple of weeks ago, and she thought i was flashing her with the lights. I was not. I have also noticed a couple of car drivers dip their center mirrors when I ride behind them. This I can only conclude is because the lights are very bright and shine at a perfect height to go straight into a car. Not a big problem for me, as they know I'm there.

This is also the first bike I have had, where you can't actually turn the lights off, interesting.

So to include, the bike was well worth the money.

You can get to and from a green lane very very quickly, like riding a Z1000. And then the bike turns into an off road junky. So best of both words for me. Well happy.

Oh yeah this is pix with an ABR sticker in it.

Si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

Redmurty

Re: Triumph Tiger 800 XC 2,000miles in

Post by Redmurty »

Interesting write up especially seeing you have had a 955 previously

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I noticed at the NEC show and at the Triumph dealers that the 800XC is supplied with the bars turned back towards the seat. I always thought they looked and felt odd in that position and could do with swivelling forward which I take it is what you've done?
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Jammin

Post by Jammin »

Nice write up Si.
I too have an XC & love it to bits.
Have had it for about 18 months & done about 9k on it. Have used it off road but dropped it a couple of times when i had K60 Scouts on it (they're pants), found a cheap DRZ so the Tiger's only used on the road now.
I've had no problems with it at all but have noticed a vibration through the LH foot peg recently, seems to be coming from the chain so may invest in a new chain & sprocket set soon.
Nearly bought an Explorer a few weeks ago but after having an afternoon on the Tiger i changed my mind. They're grrrrrreat (see what i did there... ;) )
Get an Arrow can (if you haven't already) & chop the baffle down. May need to wear ear plugs on long journeys though.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it.
Cheers, Ben.
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

Not trying to upset 955i owners or 800(Tigger road versions)

The 955i, is very very big. The tank on the XC is a lot slimmer, so you feel like you are in more control of the bike. I couldn't get past that damn pop corn popping coming from the exhaust of the old Tiger as well. Don't get me wrong the Tigger 955i is a stonking bike.

The older 955i Tiger, feels more like a tourer than a Jack of a Trades.

I have seen reviews of the 800xc compared to the bigger 1200 explorer and everybody agrees the XC is the better bike. Having said that my next bike in four years time, would be a 1200 Explorer Tiger, for touring. I would keep the 800XC as my off road play bike/winter commuter.

The 955i was very very tall, the XC on it's highest setting still feels better, a bit lower. I was always on tip toes with the older bike.

Having said that I wouldn't touch the 800 (Road version). Way too low, feels like your riding a Hornet. Totally alien to me now. Triumph what was the point in making it.

The XC should really be the only 800cc in the line up.

si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

Jammin

Post by Jammin »

He's mine up Hardknott pass in the Lakes earlier this year.

hardnott.JPEG
hardnott.JPEG (181.25 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

Scott_rider wrote:I noticed at the NEC show and at the Triumph dealers that the 800XC is supplied with the bars turned back towards the seat. I always thought they looked and felt odd in that position and could do with swivelling forward which I take it is what you've done?
Check out this photo.

Ignore the tourtech 20mm extra spacer added to this setup. The 800xc has the bracket underneath. It is made so if you turn the bracket around 180 degrees and rebolt it underneath the bars, it will either raise or lower the height of the original bars.

si

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

Reference the headlight problem. There is, at the back of the headlight housing a small leaver over what looks like an adjustment nut. On the right as you look from the handlebars. This leaver should lower the beam, stop you blinding folk.

Had the same problem when I first got mine.

headlamp_adjuster.jpg
headlamp_adjuster.jpg (43.05 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
Oldie

Post by Oldie »

Rox bar risers made a huge difference to mine.

jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

sexysi wrote:Not trying to upset 955i owners or 800(Tigger road versions)

The 955i, is very very big. The tank on the XC is a lot slimmer, so you feel like you are in more control of the bike. I couldn't get past that damn pop corn popping coming from the exhaust of the old Tiger as well. Don't get me wrong the Tigger 955i is a stonking bike.

The older 955i Tiger, feels more like a tourer than a Jack of a Trades.

I have seen reviews of the 800xc compared to the bigger 1200 explorer and everybody agrees the XC is the better bike. Having said that my next bike in four years time, would be a 1200 Explorer Tiger, for touring. I would keep the 800XC as my off road play bike/winter commuter.

The 955i was very very tall, the XC on it's highest setting still feels better, a bit lower. I was always on tip toes with the older bike.

Having said that I wouldn't touch the 800 (Road version). Way too low, feels like your riding a Hornet. Totally alien to me now. Triumph what was the point in making it.

The XC should really be the only 800cc in the line up.

si
Interesting write up, Si. Thanks for that!

I used to have a 955i and rate it very highly although I totally understand how it can feel more of a tourer than the 800XC. It's all relative, though - after I test rode the R12GSA I jumped back on the Tiger thinking "Wow, this is much sportier and neater than that big fat GSA" :ohmy: .

I was very interested and shocked to hear about your mpg though. When commuting in to London (about 55 miles each way, mix of M-way, fast dual carriageway, single carriagewy twisties and of course town traffic, albeit only for the last 7 miles or so) I can report the following mpgs;

Triumph Tiger 955i: 48-50mpg
Buell Ulysses: 55-58mpg
KTM 990 Adventure: 45-48mpg

Given that I probably don't thrash it as much as you, I still think the fuel economy of your 800Xc is worrying.

Jon

Return to “BIKES”