Popped into Triumph yesterday...

The Things We Ride
special one

Popped into Triumph yesterday...

Post by special one »

Popped over to the Trumpet dealer in Brum yesterday with my wife, with the intention of looking and showing her probably my next purchase to replace my sprint.

She isnt keen on the tiger 800xc i was planning on, she wants me to get the explorer instead, trouble is, i've never spent that kind of money on a bike before, not sure i want to either, im sure it would be a great bike, if im honest, i wanted one anyway but the big price tag has always put me off, she's not making it easy by offering money towards paying for it :unsure:

So, owners of the above, any convincing arguments for and against? i need help as im taking up the dealers offer next weekend of a day long test ride on their demonstrator, weather permitting.

I've rode the tiger 800 road version and liked that but might take the xc out for an hour and see what that is like too.

Phil
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
JonnyBravo

Re: Popped into Triumph yesterday...

Post by JonnyBravo »

The Explorer is an out an out road road bike imho - well mine is anyway ! B)

far, far too heavy (and far far too expensive!) to take off road

For me, its the most comfortable touring bike I have ever owned.
Its also the bet motorcycle I have ever owned. period.
Its fast as fook and looks the business.
Way better than (again imho) an equivalent GS

But it really depends on what you want from it.......

As has been discussed before by many mortals, a lot of the comparison tests are ridiculous. You should never, for example, put the KTM 990 Adventure and the Triumph 1200 explorer in the same sentence, never mind the same bike comparison category as they are like chalk and cheese.

well, I reckon so anyway

If you are 'touring/ with the missus on the back - get one. Its awesome :)
When nothing is going right - go left
special one

Post by special one »

This is the thing though, i have the drz for the dirty stuff, iwould do some mild lanes on a big adventure bike, probably more on the 800xc and will have to take the explorer off road too if i get one, the cost of damage is high granted but hopefully decent protection bars and hand guards would help prevent too much damage.

It is going to be used for two up touring which is why the 800xc is maybe not appealing to the wife.

Im not exactly a scraping the pegs rider but want it to be fairly nimble as i find the weight of my sprint at times quite difficult to throw around, especially on tighter bends.
Current bikes...

V_King

Post by V_King »

my 2p:

I would look how much would I ride a bike alone, and with pillion. If you do 99% of your riding alone, cheaper, nimbler xc800 would be a much better choice.
and for the 2 up trips you can always rent a big tourer for the price difference :)

on the other hand, wife should consider finding the joy of riding, by passing a test :)

edit, just checked the triumph explorer specs - 267 kg on the road :blink:
""
tub64

Post by tub64 »

I've had my a year now and done 9000 miles,touring and two up.

I found the ride to hard,brakes are weak but these have been sorted out.

Take the test ride for the day and you won't want to give it back,the triple engine is a peach.

Build quietly is great too,mine cleans up just like new.

I wouldnt take it off road but done fire roads and its fine.

Had the 800 Xc before that but felt a bit slow two up.

Good luck with your decision and if it helps its only money !!!!! Enjoy.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

This month's "Bike" mag has a write up on the Explorer by a guy who does huge miles and he loves it. Asked why he did'nt get the "Trophy" his reply was "I like to ride where the tarmac stops" he did a lap of "Iceland" (not the horse burger place) :whistle: and loved the whole experience. May be worth a read. Your fairly local you can have a shuffty at mine. I have spoken to someone who tours two up and he loves it. There is a long term tester in another mag Motorcycle lesuire ? and he loves it as well.
You could always buy a previously owned one and save the depreciation they must be coming up for resale by now.

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
special one

Post by special one »

Redmurty wrote:This month's "Bike" mag has a write up on the Explorer by a guy who does huge miles and he loves it. Asked why he did'nt get the "Trophy" his reply was "I like to ride where the tarmac stops" he did a lap of "Iceland" (not the horse burger place) :whistle: and loved the whole experience. May be worth a read. Your fairly local you can have a shuffty at mine. I have spoken to someone who tours two up and he loves it. There is a long term tester in another mag Motorcycle lesuire ? and he loves it as well.
You could always buy a previously owned one and save the depreciation they must be coming up for resale by now.

cheers Spud ;)
Actually it's used I'm looking at, the dealer has one in ATM with every extra you could think apart from heated pillion seat and top box, the panniers are £600 alone.

Thanks for everyone's input so far :)
Current bikes...

JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

I found the 800 somewhat wanting in the power department two up with the misses on the test ride -

and, once she had sat on the pillion seat on the 1200 there was no going back.........
her words, not mine ;)

The guy in Bike Mag is John Young who lives just up the road from me - I think he is abandoning his Explorer in the USA later this year after completing yet another iron butt rally, this time on the explorer -
He has an intergalactic mileage on his already
When nothing is going right - go left
herman

Post by herman »

Nick from TTech has had a long term test bike and done some serious off road and high mile trips on it. It was covered in Portuguese cack last time I saw it.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

If you're still interested in an XC I have an 11 plate with 7600 miles for sale which is in excellent condition, has all the bits on it and only a touch more than half the price of a new explorer.

Return to “BIKES”