Triumph 800XC would you buy one ?

The Things We Ride
magwa

Re: Triumph 800XC would you buy one ?

Post by magwa »

barnhatter wrote:It has really annoyed you the Triumph have made a bike for the average sized person.
As the average size in 5'10 they have pitched the bike for this size and for the many people smaller.
I am 5'7 and have only sat on one at the moment but now know that there is a bike like this that I can control comfortably. Puting my feel down securly if I need to.
Last year I hired an off road Yamaha 250 trials bike to go around Easter Island and struggled every time I stopped.
It seems that they make Adventure/off road bikes for giants and sports bikes for midgets.
At last the Adventure/off road mould has been broken and there is a bike for smaller than average people.
When the weather improves I will book a test ride then try to persuade the Mrs to let me have one.

Nope
Not annoyed at all, I tried I didn't like so shan't buy
Life is that simple, my comments are for all sizes of persons reading
who may wish to buy an Triumph Tiger 800XC, so they can make informed decisions on how they spend their money.

Which is what this forum is all about
Some people just read into comments stuff that is not there!

:laugh:

For now I'll stay firmly at the top of my beanstalk, fee fi fo fum I smell the blood of a Triumph Man........
Live Long

Die Oblong

scouse

Post by scouse »

OB1 wrote:
scouse wrote: Triumph staff were hovering and doing a lot of grim faced note taking... :whistle: At least they do respond to feedback
Triumph are pretty good where this is concerned: if you remember, when the 2005 Speed Triple came out, some people complained about the shortness of the pillion seat. When the revised bike came out some time later, they had added an inch (I think) to the length of the seat.
Well given the hype generated for the 800 Tigers, if it wasn't all perfect from the start a lot of people may feel conned and show it with poor sales figures once the better weather arrives. They have a lot of early adopters at the moment, but nothing replaces long term public ownerships to reveal the issues.Got burned being an early adopter in the past so personally prefer now to wait two years or so to see what niggles are there and how quickly they are addressed, which is why I don't own an R1200GS ;)
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
davsato

Post by davsato »

yes there are always a lot of "early adopters" for new models nobody has actually seen yet, and six months later there are a lot of six month old new model bikes for sale!

im not a triumph fan, after some nasty experiences with the bike and the local dealer, and i wasnt impressed with what i saw of the 800 in the mags and the silly build up. but at the NEC i kinda changed my mind a bit, wasnt interested in the cooking version only the offroader, and it looked pretty good. then i sat on one and found out how much it was going to be, and as someone said,
IM OUT
the small size alone wouldve been enough to put me off, i dont like small bikes. even a tenere 660Z has a better, bigger 'feel' to it

however, the monkey bike, it might struggle with a load but at least it'll be easy to get out of a ditch or dune! someone started the dakar on a pit bike, how are they doing?
Dave
GIDEON

Post by GIDEON »

Thats why being Human is grand.
They say opinions Is like a as@hole every one got one. :woohoo:

See how people differ, why i like the Triumph is this.
1. Two head lights like the Africa Twin (normal big eyed, looking at whats coming
2. 21" Front and 17" back wheel like the Twin (there is a pattern if you like reading between the lines :laugh: "
3. Two dicks in on the front wheel (cause back breaks is for slowing down not stopping)
4. Torque Torque Torque Torque !!!
Not sure and dont care :evil: But looking at the Triumph 1050ST Torque Curve I had a semi B 82NM from way down a straight line all the way. I dont like going FAST just loving getting there quickly

"Horsepower is an illusory Mathematical equation
Torque is the source of all Good things in the world"
"Horsepower is an illusory Mathematical equation

Torque is the source of all Good things in the world"
garyr

Post by garyr »

I will tell you my view on this ( whether you want or not). I have never really given a monkeys for adventure type bikes, have walked into showrooms seen the bike how high the seat is and walked on never to give that bike a second thought. But a few months ago i read something on the net about how triumph had seen a gap in the adventure market and was going to build a bike for the shorterarse, this got me as well as a few others interested in adv bikes for really the first time. But what i laugh at is the slagging off it has got before we had even seen apic of it from fans of a certain marque, they seem scared that there wonderful bikes may be found wanting and maybe devalue them!!!!!. So anyway viva the triumph at least they are trying and imagine how much harder other marques are going to have to improve to keep marketshare. Viva competition.
who dares, bins
OB1

Post by OB1 »

garyr wrote:I will tell you my view on this ( whether you want or not). I have never really given a monkeys for adventure type bikes, have walked into showrooms seen the bike how high the seat is and walked on never to give that bike a second thought. But a few months ago i read something on the net about how triumph had seen a gap in the adventure market and was going to build a bike for the shorterarse, this got me as well as a few others interested in adv bikes for really the first time. But what i laugh at is the slagging off it has got before we had even seen apic of it from fans of a certain marque, they seem scared that there wonderful bikes may be found wanting and maybe devalue them!!!!!. So anyway viva the triumph at least they are trying and imagine how much harder other marques are going to have to improve to keep marketshare. Viva competition.
Here, here! :woohoo:
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

garyr wrote:I will tell you my view on this ( whether you want or not). I have never really given a monkeys for adventure type bikes, have walked into showrooms seen the bike how high the seat is and walked on never to give that bike a second thought. But a few months ago i read something on the net about how triumph, had employed the services of a certain well known female engineer 'Ms White' and her team of seven helpers, as they had seen a gap in the adventure market and was going to build a bike for the shorterarse, this got me as well as a few others interested in adv bikes for really the first time. But what i laugh at is the slagging off it has got before we had even seen apic of it from fans of a certain marque, they seem scared that there wonderful bikes may be found wanting and maybe devalue them!!!!!. So anyway viva the triumph at least they are trying and imagine how much harder other marques are going to have to improve to keep marketshare. Viva competition.
Suitably altered. :P
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
scouse

Post by scouse »

davsato wrote: the small size alone wouldve been enough to put me off, i dont like small bikes. even a tenere 660Z has a better, bigger 'feel' to it
Never really been a Yamaha fan after having had dealings with a couple over the years and watched them rot before my eyes, suffer from rapidly wearing second gears and seized main bearings as bits of the second gear clogged the oil ways. But the XTZ660 is a very tempting bike. Feels solid and balanced. The much vaunted 1200 is weird , feels cheap and not worth the price tag. The only one I have seem in the flesh was at the Stella last year and it seemed the rider was having some difficulty with slow speed manoeuvring. Could have been the rider, could have been the bike, but not having access to many couldn't really say.

I was surprised however with the lack of the 660's in Europe. It seems the 800GS and Wee Strom are the market leaders with the locals in the Alps. The original Tenere's used to be everywhere out there.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
garyr

Post by garyr »

mark1150 wrote:
garyr wrote:I will tell you my view on this ( whether you want or not). I have never really given a monkeys for adventure type bikes, have walked into showrooms seen the bike how high the seat is and walked on never to give that bike a second thought. But a few months ago i read something on the net about how triumph, had employed the services of a certain well known female engineer 'Ms White' and her team of seven helpers, as they had seen a gap in the adventure market and was going to build a bike for the shorterarse, this got me as well as a few others interested in adv bikes for really the first time. But what i laugh at is the slagging off it has got before we had even seen apic of it from fans of a certain marque, they seem scared that there wonderful bikes may be found wanting and maybe devalue them!!!!!. So anyway viva the triumph at least they are trying and imagine how much harder other marques are going to have to improve to keep marketshare. Viva competition.
Suitably altered. :P
See, exactly what i mean, altering other peoples posts.You should change your name to Marque Snob
who dares, bins
africajim

Post by africajim »

I think you'll find that BMW make the smallest adventure bike and supply suitable products to reduce seat height for dwarfs!
I think the Tiger may well just be a more realistic height for average height people here in the UK. I'll find out on Thursday any how, hope to see some of you in Aberdeen.
Honda, the power of dreams.

Return to “BIKES”