no ..ive succumbed to the charms of a thumper

the more i use it off road the more convinced i am i dont need a 95bhp triple

my mate liam makes a gs adventure look like a moped :laugh: :laugh:

By null at 2009-07-11
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
barnhatter

Re: Triumph 800XC would you buy one ?

Post by barnhatter »

Nice to have an "adventure" bike that people with shorter legs can fit. On rough roads/tracks its better to be confident of not losing it if you get unbalanced.
I am aiming to get one as it fits the bill 100%.
If you want a big triumph get a Tiger if you want something smaller get a 800.
Sorry you appear to have a downer on the 800 comparing its size and price against a 3/4 year old bike.
magwa

Post by magwa »

For Barnhatter.
Err the Triumph 800xc IS A TIGER....dooh

The 1050 is the outgoing model ( and never was a TIGER really just a road bike!)
Live Long

Die Oblong

Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

It does "make your bum look big", if that's what you're saying :P Reminds me of my friend's boyfriend's SV650. He's 6'5", most of it being legs, and looked like a spider sitting on an acorn when he rode it. I gave him a lift once on my old DT125R and he only had to stand up to enable me to ride off!

I'll definitely get a test ride of one of these as soon as I'm able. I like their Street Triple and Thruxton too. Triumph make gorgeous looking bikes now.
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

So the search for the holy grail is still on. Happy New Year by the way don't seem to have been on here in ages. :(
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
magwa

Post by magwa »

yeap the search is still on
I shall look for a fully kitted low miles/ FSH 2007/2008 1200GSA
maybe?

But my Africa Twin will have to go to assist the funding, which will be a shame
but such is life
You can't have everything and stay married ! :whistle:
Live Long

Die Oblong

barnhatter

Post by barnhatter »

It has really annoyed you the Triumph have made a bike for the average sized person.
As the average size in 5'10 they have pitched the bike for this size and for the many people smaller.
I am 5'7 and have only sat on one at the moment but now know that there is a bike like this that I can control comfortably. Puting my feel down securly if I need to.
Last year I hired an off road Yamaha 250 trials bike to go around Easter Island and struggled every time I stopped.
It seems that they make Adventure/off road bikes for giants and sports bikes for midgets.
At last the Adventure/off road mould has been broken and there is a bike for smaller than average people.
When the weather improves I will book a test ride then try to persuade the Mrs to let me have one.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

barnhatter wrote:It seems that they make Adventure/off road bikes for giants and sports bikes for midgets.
Totally agree! :lol: When I had a test ride on the F800 GS, the dealer said that the seat height was actually higher than the 1200! The problem isn't always the height, more the weight and the height combined.
barnhatter wrote:When the weather improves I will book a test ride then try to persuade the Mrs to let me have one.
Don't wait until the weather improves - I took the Tiger 800 out in December and then the XC last weekend. The roads were greasy and wet on both occasions but both bikes coped very well with the conditions. When I was out at the weekend on the XC, I felt very comfortable with the cold & damp conditions - not something that I would have said on a sports bike, tourer or even commuter.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
scouse

Post by scouse »

barnhatter wrote: It seems that they make Adventure/off road bikes for giants and sports bikes for midgets.
At last the Adventure/off road mould has been broken and there is a bike for smaller than average people.
A lot of people say this but the only people who I know that struggle with dual sport bikes are under 5' 4" , there is a lot of adjustment can be made with seat padding and suspension.

I know some are limited , and many require a bit extra to be paid, but unless you are very short in comparison to the general public most bikes can be adapted.I have to admit however no bike I have ever owned has fitted me straight out of the crate, they all need adjustment.

I was at the NEC and of course threw a leg over the road going version. I found it still felt like the Street Triple on the same stand, which I find cramped, but with higher bars. Also if I sat part the way back on the pillion seat it improved the comfort... maybe the next version will address this, as a lot of couples there could be heard complaining it was way too cramped for two up touring, and the pillion seat was lacking in padding. Triumph staff were hovering and doing a lot of grim faced note taking... :whistle: At least they do respond to feedback so perhaps a lot of the design shortfalls we thought it had, that we also heard other people airing there and in other places since will be addressed quite quickly if it proves to be popular once people can get out and ride them.

Curious to launch a bike this side of the Spring... ;)
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
OB1

Post by OB1 »

scouse wrote: Triumph staff were hovering and doing a lot of grim faced note taking... :whistle: At least they do respond to feedback
Triumph are pretty good where this is concerned: if you remember, when the 2005 Speed Triple came out, some people complained about the shortness of the pillion seat. When the revised bike came out some time later, they had added an inch (I think) to the length of the seat.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com

Return to “BIKES”