800 triumph test ride!!!

The Things We Ride
Treadtrader

Re: 800 triumph test ride!!!

Post by Treadtrader »

OB1 wrote:Hi All,

I've had the luck of test riding both versions of the new Tiger - the road version before Christmas and the XC two days ago :woohoo: All I can say is that they are both superb and, even though they share so much of their DNA, they are two different bikes when you ride them. I tested the BMW F800 GS a couple of months ago to give myself a direct comparrison.

The Orange XC is the bike that I will be buying (collecting it on March 1st) with the additional 12v socket and the heated grips - anything else that I need, I'll fit myself as and when I need it.

When I was out on the XC this weekend, all I could think was that this is the only bike that I would be comfortable on in these conditions (cold, damp and slippery roads). I have been riding for 27 years on all different makes and styles of bikes but this is the bike that I have been waiting for - it will do everything that I want from a bike!

Roll on 2012... the plan is to ride the XC from the UK to Hong Kong... trouble is, the route keeps changing every time I look at a map! :laugh:

What ya gonna do til March? Nice shiny new bike but have to wait weeks! It'll be hard work waiting. :woohoo:

Enjoy mate, and welcome to ABR.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Treadtrader wrote:What ya gonna do til March? Nice shiny new bike but have to wait weeks! It'll be hard work waiting. :woohoo:

Enjoy mate, and welcome to ABR.
Thanks!

It is only a month and a half to wait... sold my Speed Triple in September in anticipation.

If I wait till March, I'll get the new 11 registration and the bike won't get covered in (so much) salt and crap off the roads!
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Alun

Post by Alun »

Welcome to the ABR forum OB1. Nice choice of bike, second only to the 955i in the highly desirable stakes ;)
africajim

Post by africajim »

Sorry Alun, considering what I heard from a Triumph dealer at the weekend, the new Tiger's more desirable than the 955 or 1050 were!
The dealer I spoke to had forty 800's ordered but they are all pre-booked!
I've not been out with one yet but hopefully soon.
Honda, the power of dreams.
Alun

Post by Alun »

africajim wrote:Sorry Alun, considering what I heard from a Triumph dealer at the weekend, the new Tiger's more desirable than the 955 or 1050 were!
I'm looking forward to you getting your hands on one Jim, it's going to be interesting to see how you rate the new 800 engine having had a 955i.
africajim

Post by africajim »

Alun wrote:
africajim wrote:Sorry Alun, considering what I heard from a Triumph dealer at the weekend, the new Tiger's more desirable than the 955 or 1050 were!
I'm looking forward to you getting your hands on one Jim, it's going to be interesting to see how you rate the new 800 engine having had a 955i.
Sorry for the post hijack, but I feel I must highlight my critical attitude to this.

I approached Triumph a few yrs ago while I had my 2001 Africa Twin, and test rode the 955i Tiger. The salesman said he'd owned both and said "if you ride my Tiger today you will buy it". Well, after a two hr test ride I returned and shook my head. I thought the @T was a better bike than the 955i Tiger, sorry, just my opinion. I then jumped on Honda Ecosse's Varadero and within five minutes decided this was for me!
A year later I decided to give the Tiger a go and ran the 955i for two yrs and 30K miles, a cracking bike. Two up it was always a bit lacking, like a bouncy castle when loaded up but as a one up runaround a great bike with good build quality.
As the 1050 didn't fit my requirements I decided to go back to Honda. The Mighty Varadero felt leaps and bounds ahead of the Tiger, the suspension, the power delivery everything felt better, handling more planted and two up never felt better.
I'm hoping the new 800 Tiger has improved the suspension issues by using the same Showa suspension the Varadero has and rides well when I do test ride it. The main thing is if it can put a smile on my face I'll probably buy one, but if it's a disappointment I'll let you all know. I am going to be matching it against my Ickle Beemer really not as a replacement for the Varadero as I don't think it'll ever be the bike the Varadero is. It's more a middle weight.
Honda, the power of dreams.
doctorzippy

Another Triumph 800XC test ride...

Post by doctorzippy »

Today I had the chance to take one of the new Triumph 800XCs out for a 2-hour test ride. The bike was supplied by Philip Youles Motorcycles and was resplendent in brilliant "daz-white".

Before I give you my opinion, I have to declare my current position. I am lucky enough to own both a 2005 BMW R1150GSA (47k-miles) and a late-2009 BMW F800GS (11k-miles). I love the 1150 deeply, as it took me from Alaska to Argentina in 2009 B) , and I bought the 800GS as soon as I got back as being without a bike was too depressing ;) . I've added all sorts of "adventure" extras to it, and it's a great bike, but I've not yet had chance to do a big trip on it (I have something planned for the summer, though B) ).

So, I rode my 800GS to the dealer, so I could ride it and the 800XC back-to-back as it were.

Initial impressions were that they feel very similar. The seat on the XC is broader and shaped more like a road-bike, the GS being more like an enduro-style (and bloody uncomfortable after 60 miles until I had a gel pad inserted in it). But as soon as I pressed the starter the differences emerged. The GS is rougher, the twin-cylinder engine throbbing away while the XC's triple thummed smoothly, tinglng the bars rather than shaking them. My GS has an aftermarket can, but it was the same before I fitted it, not rough as in falling apart, just rough as in not smooth. The XCs smoothness remained the over-riding impression as I rode off and headed out, initially on the A665 towards the M60. The gearbox was smooth and well-spaced, the greatest sensation being of the engine buzzing away. Pulling onto the motorway I was able to rev the engine a bit, and what a lovely sound! Smooth as you like, too, with a lovely rush of power. I used to ride 4-cylinder sportsbikes and the rush from the XC was much more like that than the GS, which lacks the sensation of speed the XC provides. After a short stint on the m-way I think the XC is the better cruiser too, being much happier sitting at 90 ish :whistle: than my GS.
But I didn't book a test-ride to sit on the m-way, so I pulled off and headed up onto the moors, proper b-road stuff with a pock-marked, pot-holed, rutted, muddy and wet, twisty roads. Perfect roads for an adventure bike, and the XC impressed here too. Both it and the GS are ideal on roads like these, soaking up all the bumps whilst holding the line, allowing quick direction changes. I was loving it. :woohoo:
The engine really impresses on roads like these too, and I'm sure my average speed was a bit higher that it would be on the GS, as the XC just seems to love being revved. And it really growls in the upper rev range too. Despite the poor conditions (it was windy as hell and raining from time to time too) I was grinning like a Cheshire cat... I love riding, no matter what the conditions, but the XC was simply fantastic. :woohoo:
I continued over the moors in worsening conditions before realising that my enjoyment meant I was going to be late getting the bike back to Philip Youle, so I made the difficult decision to curtail my fun and headed back to the M62 and rode the 25 miles or so back along the m-way. By now the conditions were truly appalling, with a very nasty side-wind and heavy rain. But the XC was as solid as a rock, very reassuring. I did miss the heated grips on my GS though! B)

So, to the conclusion.

If I was buying now (which I'm not), I'd have a hard choice to make. I think the GS is a good bike, solid, reliable, well-built and dependable. But the XC is more fun. It's all about that engine - it's a peach. I'd love to ride them both off-road to see which is best, as I think the GS might have the edge slightly due to the low-down grunt - and I'm concerned by the XC's rear shock linkage which hangs down pretty low (thought the Excel wheels it wears a more substantial than the ones on the GS).

Then there's the looks. I don't like the XC's headlamp. It's an ugly thing, and whilst the GS is no beauty, it is, IMHO, stylish. The XC's is just plain ugly. And that, coupled with the obvious concern about the cost, is the reason I won't be trading in the GS just yet. Shallow, ain't I! :blush:

Photo taken in a rare break from the weather!
Life is a journey, not a destination
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Best write up i've read so far, truly informed. Good un mate. :)
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Treadtrader wrote:Best write up i've read so far, truly informed. Good un mate. :)
+1 great write up! I want to test one now! How hard is it to get back out the door after the test ride? Or did you just chuck the keys back and say "I don't like it" ?
Alun

Post by Alun »

Nice one Dr Zippy. I've not swung a leg over the 800 yet but I've had enough triples to know the Triumph engine rarely disappoints and often inspires.

Return to “BIKES”