Any Bike salesmen?

The Things We Ride
J.A.M.

Any Bike salesmen?

Post by J.A.M. »

Ive been looking around recently for jobs as I have just finished college and am considering university in september. However it wouldnt be my first choice. I am most interested in becomming a bike sales man however cant find any available jobs in Northern Ireland. Anyone any advice or experiences?

Thanks, John
Wilso122

Re: Any Bike salesmen?

Post by Wilso122 »

So there are no dealerships? Instead of looking to sell bikes why dont you look to sell kit for some of the manufacturers. Careers normally go something like this.

Work as a saturday boy hanging around making tea and helping out - FOC!
Work in spares / accessories
Graduate to Bike Sales
Work for Trade sales
Manage bike shop
Own bike shop - 30 year rounds trip.

Or set up on your own, look for a niche market and sell into that, become the 50 or 125 main main in northern ireland make some dosh, re-invest and keep going.

Hard work me laddo hard work and a bit of luck!

I didnt do uni and take great delight in being further ahead in my career and earning more money than my mates that did, but I worked / do work bloody hard for it.
950SuperEnduro.com the site for SuperEnduro owners.
SPEN

Post by SPEN »

NI is such a small market ,you"d be better off finding a good product and marketing it on the web .
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Hi John,

Make a point of calling in with John (manager) at GS Motorcycles either at Ballymena or Hillsborough branch, see if any possible vacancys coming up etc....

I know there was a (possible) vacancy at Charles Hurst Motorcycles in Belfast as one of the Bike sales team was retiring, call in with them in person for a relaxed chat etc....

Also try, Billy Lyons (manager) at Millsport Motorcycles based at Ballymoney, great guy to chat to.

Go for it John, I used to live/work in N-Ireland and been riding bikes for 30yrs or so, now living in central Scotland. Keep us posted. Hope this helps you a little.
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Road2Manchester

Post by Road2Manchester »

The 'market' is very seasonal and tradisionally a Low Basic wage with target based commissions aimed in many dealerships to ensure you make enough to stay, but not more than the owners, each month.
Even management jobs generally pay only £12-13K a year basic. OK when you are young free and single.
Web based is good, but unique products that have mass appeal are rare.
I am at the other end of your scale, being an old dog looking for work, and with a preference to the trade..... not much out there.

I do think Al should send me on a RTW trip.... see Gap Year dreams in the mag.

See Bike Jobs web sites, and I agree with the above, be willing to work Saturdays or Sundays for nothing if needs be. Get a foot in the door. Any biker events, get hold of the exhibitors lists and asked them if they need help, or even the event organisers.
Join Twitter and facebook, get connected with everyone in biking within your area and keep asking.

Good Luck.

BFB
cam to gif

If you ride like the wind, expect to get blown away. One lifetime is all we get use it wisely this ain;t no practise.
J.A.M.

Post by J.A.M. »

thanks for all the advice, very much appreciated! :woohoo:

I will definately look more into it more, and possibly try selling products online.

wilso122 - I did do a weeks work experience as part of a GCSE project and also for my own experience, in a motorbike store (dont want to say which :P) however, was thrown into the back servicing department and forgotton about for the week. Once the week ended the main sales man said that it was due to insurance reasons that they could not let me on the shop floor! in other words, he didnt want me to muck up a sale! :blink:

macvisual, thanks for the info, i will look into getting in touch with all of the dealers you've mentioned!

Thanks for the info! I will let you know how I get on! :woohoo:
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Oops, forgot to mention 'Philip McCallen Motorcycles' in Lisburn, try them also! They've recently expanded their clothing range and built another level/floor, a good sign that they're busy....

Do make a point of calling in with the folk I've mentioned, N.E.V.E.R call/ring them, always call in and chat to them on a one-to-one basis/face-to-face etc... Even ask can you work with them for a week or two over the summer for free, get our foot in the door, then expand whilst your there etc, be polite and helpful, speak to plenty of motorcycling folk, listen to them, it's all (free) experience, hope it works out! Keep us up-dated please.

I hope the future is good for you, prosper.
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa

Return to “BIKES”