Derbi Terra and Derbi Terra Adventure info.

The Things We Ride
hodgerydoo

Derbi Terra and Derbi Terra Adventure info.

Post by hodgerydoo »

Hi Derbi Terra Riders, been to look at a 2nd hand Derbi Terra tonight, test ride found the front end to be very dippy, is this a normal character of the Terra or is something wrong.

Also owner says fuel light is on all the time due to being stood for a long time, any thoughts?
herman

Re: Help Please, Derbi Terra, Dippy front suspension?

Post by herman »

Front end is probably going to be a bit dippy on that style of bike but define 'dippy'? cable tie on the slider will tell you if it is diving too far under normal breaking. Fuel light has bugger all to do with being stood, more likely duff sender or bad earth somewhere?
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

Yes, like what Herman said, how dippy is dippy? What are you comparing it to? I've just been out and bounced up and down on mine and can't say I'd call it dippy but it is relatively soft compared to say my neighbour's Yamaha sportsbike.
Could the float stick in the tank and cause the light to come on all the time? Looking at the design maybe but that would suggest the tank is full of sludge, maybe a new tank of petrol and a lot of sloshing about at first.
How much is it? What mileage? Unless the price is right it might be worth moving on?
Happiness has 125cc ...
hodgerydoo

Post by hodgerydoo »

Thanks freeloader, its a 2009 asking £1380, 1600 on the clock, few scratches here and there but they look worse on the photos than in real life, all seems fine except the fuel light stuck, he hasn't got a service book, the front tyre was a bit flat, and the suspension quite dippy when using front brake but i've not ridden one before so not got anything to compare with

oh and front brake could use new pads.
hodgerydoo

Post by hodgerydoo »

ps done hpi check all is good.
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

You will have to define dippy. My wife is dippy. So your saying the front end is solid? :laugh: :laugh:
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
hodgerydoo

Post by hodgerydoo »

seemed to dip excessively when braking, very soft suspension, maybe it could be adjusted??
mr injector

Post by mr injector »

i know notting of these derbi terra bikes, but anyway,you say it is dippy, but what is the rebound like, is it good or poor. there should be fork rebound adjusters on the top either a nut or a screw. as for the fuel light it might be a dirty low level fuel sensor. remove the two wires at the bottom of the sensor and give it a couple of small taps and then replace the wires and see if the light is off. or it might be that both wires have grounded each other somewhere and are bye passing the sensor. From what you say it seems like a very rough bike for a 2009 and i would ask him why it was parked for so long. if it does not feel right, walk away. also check the milage.
hodgerydoo

Post by hodgerydoo »

forks go down quick and come up quick, young lads not been riding it cos of insurance seems genuine reason no reason doubt him.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Fork oil probably needs changing. Or the seals may have gone and it's all leaked out.

the fuel light sensor probably stuck when the bike was parked for a long time.

Pull it out and jiggle it if you are worried

Return to “BIKES”