So, what is the best Dualsport

The Things We Ride
scouse

Re: So, what is the best Dualsport

Post by scouse »

S'easy... KLR650... :P
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

KTM Super Enduro

Can do it all in the right hands.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

see the thread new ABR's and their bikes for the answer to best bike and textile clothes cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Crossrutted wrote:KTM Super Enduro

Can do it all in the right hands.
Over 700cc, so too big
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
knobbly

Post by knobbly »

scouse wrote:S'easy... KLR650... :P
Agreed, I have one as a second bike and it's bomb proof, Just cant break it.
I call it my armageddon bike.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

ive got the tenere and a klr 650
i think the mild gravel trail thing is a bit untrue ..the tenere will go in some tough places ..
ive been out with abr riders that have handled transalps afrrica twins big gses and allsorts big and small on trails that are pretty challenging along way from a simple gravel track bloody tough infact ...
im pretty sure the x challenge will be a good off road bike but i wouldnt fancy 600 miles of shitty weather riding on one so the comprimise is what most people try to balence out ..

ive a lot of respect for the ktm 640 but like the tenere its a very tall bike

the tenere and ktm are more capable than the klr in the right hands but arnt as managable for mere mortals as the klr mostly due to the tall seat and im
6ft 1 ..
tall
the best well im not sure but i am sure that all of the bikes mentioned can do a good job ..not forgetting that a duel sport bike has to wear two hats so its not all about the off road side ...

By minkyhead at 2011-02-20
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Bianchi

Post by Bianchi »

Yeh great reply from minky just about says it all but I think it depends
On yourself and what suits your capabilities as a rider

Cheers

Dave
johnnyboxer

So, what is the best Dualsport

Post by johnnyboxer »

minkyhead wrote:ive got the tenere and a klr 650
i think the mild gravel trail thing is a bit untrue ..the tenere will go in some tough places ..
ive been out with abr riders that have handled transalps afrrica twins big gses and allsorts big and small on trails that are pretty challenging along way from a simple gravel track bloody tough infact ...
im pretty sure the x challenge will be a good off road bike but i wouldnt fancy 600 miles of shitty weather riding on one so the comprimise is what most people try to balence out ..

ive a lot of respect for the ktm 640 but like the tenere its a very tall bike

the tenere and ktm are more capable than the klr in the right hands but arnt as managable for mere mortals as the klr mostly due to the tall seat and im
6ft 1 ..
tall
the best well im not sure but i am sure that all of the bikes mentioned can do a good job ..not forgetting that a duel sport bike has to wear two hats so its not all about the off road side ...

By minkyhead at 2011-02-20
I agree, most bikes can do a lot

In times past, I've used my 1150 GSA for big road tours & it's totally fab at it & using the Xchallenge for trailriding mainly

Downsides with the GSA are that it's heavy & thirsty returning about 50 mpg

So recently I've been using the Xchallenge more on the road (fitted Sahara 3's) & did a 790 mile Scottish Borders tour too
The Xchallenge was fab (heated grips would be good though) - it's capable on the road & is frugal too

So it got me thinking that it's a pretty good all rounder
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Beam me up

Post by Beam me up »

That's the thing isn't it - a 650 can be used for a road tour but with different tyres and possibly different sprockets. It can then be put back to trail trim but then you wouldn't want to do an 800 mile road trip on knobblies. TKC type tyres offer a compromise but it is just that.

In my view that is the downside of the 650 class in that the modern generation are good enough off road to hold their own against enduro bikes (not in competition, just technical trail riding) but you have to fit no compromise tyres and lower the gearing to make the most of it. This is the main reason I dislike the term 'dual sport' so much.

Bigger bikes (and 650s) - commonly referred to as 'adventure' bikes, you can fit compromise tyres leave everything else as standard. You set off to explore the Pyrenees, Morocco, wherever, wear you're new tyres out before you get there and spend a few days wobbling around on the odd cart track hoping it doesn't get too tricky.

Still thinking 2 bikes is the only answer 400cc'ish trail bike and bigger touring bike.
1988 K100RT

Various small, smokey 2 stroke trail bikes
hilux

Post by hilux »

fairly new to this kind of riding, but got my xt660z a few months ago, haven't stop smiling. great bike to ride, light enough to chuck around and pretty good on the road. :laugh: would recomend to any one (as long as they were 5'9" plus)

Return to “BIKES”