So, what is the best Dualsport

The Things We Ride
johnnyboxer

So, what is the best Dualsport

Post by johnnyboxer »

in the 500-700cc range

I have a BMW XChallenge and think it's pretty near the perfect compromise, for road and trail

Offroad - decent chassis, lowish weight, loads of power, good fuelling

Onroad - good brakes, plenty of power, good topspeed and cruising ability, brill mpg >70 to a gallon, 6000 mile service intervals and a proven engine

Downsides - seat and screen, easily fixable

Shame it was only made in 2007 and there are not too many accessories that have been produced

What's your best middleweight Dualsport??
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Tramp

Re: So, what is the best Dualsport

Post by Tramp »

ccm644 with the suzuki engine..whitepower shocks and a bigger tank..nothing comes close well maybe a ktm690 but they are more expensive and higher maintenace issues..

a bmw x challenge requires to much modding but same legue as the ktm really...

it all depends on what you use the bike for..
Orlando_Orange

Post by Orlando_Orange »

i'm with you jboxer - love my xchallenge

and tramp the xchallenge needs no more modding than a 690 does... well okay apart from the bouncy castle suspension.

but it does depend on your definition of dual sport as well...
Chris

G650 X-Challenge

'91 XTZ750
Gavinskii

Post by Gavinskii »

Having just returned from HISS 2000 miles of fast roads and interesting trails, the Tenere XT660Z gets my vote.

Great on fuel, great tank range, great service interval. The seat (with a fleece) was good for a 450 mile day, zero maintenance issues, could cruise faster roads at 80MPH + kept up fairly well with the KTM EXC crowd on the trail.

Plenty of accessories to farkle to your hearts content.

B)

IMG-20120602-00953.jpg
IMG-20120602-00953.jpg (38.98 KiB) Viewed 1692 times
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award
KTMBLAG

Post by KTMBLAG »

Ktm 640 adventure,, best off roader, great suspension, great brakes, strong sub frame (off roading with luggage) loads of power, light compared to others in class, reliable, huge fuel tank (400+ miles)happy enough on the road...some say they are to vibey and uncomfortable, what single 600 isn't vibey..Did over 600 miles in the day on mine not a problem
Phil

Post by Phil »

+1 for XT660Z.

im new to adventure bikes so maybe my opinion doesnt count but i love the Ten. Did a LOT of research before i bought it and i nearly got a KTM 640....but i thought the Yam beats it on maintanence.

Also really wanted a TTR600 that i was going to pimp up, till i realised how much money and time it would take.
Beam me up

Post by Beam me up »

Depends on how you measure best. The Tenere is a good option and good value, the X Challenge is good as well but relatively hard to come by and you can't get a new one (if that's your thing). The KTM 690 is supposed to be better suspended but how many people notice the benefits when green laning. The 690 also has more power but again, is this important.

I would have thought that purchase price and good economy were the most important factors - still think I'll be getting a 690 to replace my old XT350
1988 K100RT

Various small, smokey 2 stroke trail bikes
Orlando_Orange

Post by Orlando_Orange »

also depends on how dual you want your sport.... if it's general beimbling around gravel roads and easy lanes, with the need to commute and do long distances with a near stock bike, then i have to agree you can't really go past the tenere... however, if your off road is a bit more gnarly and you want a bike that can make it (albeit with dificulty) where only EXC's dare, plus do a bit of road work and the occasional longer distance journey, then the x-challenge or 690 is much better.. and this second type of riding is where i am, which is why i love my x-c

and then of course if you do a hell of a lot of long distance road riding and want a bike the can tackle gravle and dry easy trails occasionally, a bigger bike like a gs or XTZ12 is probably the bike for you
Chris

G650 X-Challenge

'91 XTZ750
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Agreed with a lot of posts, the XTZ660 Ten is a superb looking bike and capable, never ridden one though - but I'd like to see how good the engine is and whether it has enough grunt

When I was looking 5 years ago, the XChallenge was the natural choice (having had 2 Dakars)because the 690 and Tenere, weren't launched

After 5 years of ownership, whilst I've been tempted by the other 2 - I've stuck with the XChallenge because it's so very good - fuel range is 150 miles plus in reality and you can carry a 1.5 litre Primus bottle for an emergency

Seat needs making more comfy, easy fix for a £100 at a re-upholsterer and I've added a small Rally screen, on top of the enduro light cowl, made by a fellow Adv rider from Cornwall for a measly £13

I still have the airshock and it works fine, the only time it's a pain - is going slow over rocks offroad, apart from that it's fine and the faster you go - the better it is :P !!

If I changed the shock, i'd go for a Wilbers perhaps, because the Ohlins is made for a Rally bike and makes the bike even taller

There are enough luggage options for it from alloy boxes to soft luggage, with and without frames

The bike will see 110mph on the clocks, even with lowered gearing and yield 70mpg+

So like it................a lot

We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

Removed.

Return to “BIKES”