XT660Z oil change procedure...Question

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Sykesy

XT660Z oil change procedure...Question

Post by Sykesy »

Howdy. I know there is a link on here to xt660 with a detailed procedure on the oil change. I cant find it on here or on xt660 !!

Can anyone post me the link please??

Only issue i have is that on some sites it says that the oil filter housing screw at the bottom, is the bleed screw, then on another thread, someone says its the top screw!

And then there on about having to crank over the engine when the new oil is in before tightening this 'bleed screw' ????

Anyone know anything about this???

PS, i dont have the Manual for the bike.

a friend is someone who bails you out of jail, But a BEST friend is the person sitting beside you saying...'that was fu**ing awesome'!!!!!!!
jaz1259

Re: XT660Z oil change procedure...Question

Post by jaz1259 »

The top screw is bleed screw, if you crank the engine over with this slack it should dribble out showing good oil pressure. If it doesn't there's a blockage.

To drain oil there's ou have to empty the fame which is about a litre o less then there's the main engine sump plug near gear lever
g00ner

Post by g00ner »

jaz1259 wrote:The top screw is bleed screw, if you crank the engine over with this slack it should dribble out showing good oil pressure. If it doesn't there's a blockage.

To drain oil there's ou have to empty the fame which is about a litre o less then there's the main engine sump plug near gear lever
Wrong, bottom screw is the drain. Don't forget to drain the crankcase and the oil tank.
When you refill with oil, add 1.9 litres - start the bike and race it 5 or 6 times - add the remainder

(amount with oil filter replacement is 2.6 litres total, without oil filter replacement it's 2.5 litres)
Sykesy

Post by Sykesy »

g00ner wrote:
jaz1259 wrote:The top screw is bleed screw, if you crank the engine over with this slack it should dribble out showing good oil pressure. If it doesn't there's a blockage.

Wrong, bottom screw is the drain. Don't forget to drain the crankcase and the oil tank.
When you refill with oil, add 1.9 litres - start the bike and race it 5 or 6 times - add the remainder

(amount with oil filter replacement is 2.6 litres total, without oil filter replacement it's 2.5 litres)
Cheers Gooner, Ive had it confirmed its the bottom screw to bleed. I know about the oil tank (frame) empty first, then the sump plug(crankcase)(with dipstick out). Changing oil filter too, so thanks for the measurements.

Doin it this sat morn.

a friend is someone who bails you out of jail, But a BEST friend is the person sitting beside you saying...'that was fu**ing awesome'!!!!!!!
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Sykesy, have a download link...

Just fill in the gaps and download the Owners Manual.

Enjoy... Ray

Yamaha Owners Manuals

PM sent...
jaz1259

Post by jaz1259 »

g00ner wrote:

(amount with oil filter replacement is 2.6 litres total, without oil filter replacement it's 2.5 litres)[/quote

What did I say which was wrong?
The top screw is the one to check oil pressure
Sykesy

Post by Sykesy »

Job done. New Putolene DX4 oil and K&N oil filter.

Enjoyed doing it, all went to plan and not a single drip on the floor! I liked the cut down pop bottle idea to put over the oil tank spout.

Thanks all.

WIBO

Post by WIBO »

For anyone who wants a step by step guide with pictures...have a peep here..

:)

http://www.xt660.com/showthread.php?t=18695
Will It Buff Out?

Return to “TECHNICAL”