Attention Super Ten owners

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Dark Knight

Attention Super Ten owners

Post by Dark Knight »

Just noticed this recall on the internet, must draw it to the attention of my local dealer.
Just shows you the importance of doing your under tank inspections.

Yamaha XTZ12B Recall for Fire Danger
Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
YAMAHA XTZ12B/BC 2012
Manufacturer: YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA Mfr's Report Date: OCT 28, 2011
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V532000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP
Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,069
Summary:
YAMAHA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 XTZ12B/BC (SUPER TENERE) MOTORCYCLES, MANUFACTURED FROM JUNE 01, 2011, THROUGH AUGUST 31, 2011. DURING THE ASSEMBLY PROCESS, THE FUEL PUMP O-RING MAY HAVE BEEN INSTALLED INCORRECTLY IN ITS GROOVE. IF THE TABS LOCATED AROUND THE INNER CIRCUMFERENCE OF THE O쳌]RING WERE NOT SEATED INTO THE GROOVE PROPERLY DURING PUMP INSTALLATION, THE O RING SEALING LIP COULD BE PINCHED AND DAMAGED, PREVENTING PROPER SEALING.
Consequence:
THIS COULD ALLOW FUEL TO LEAK FROM AROUND THE FUEL PUMP MOUNTED UNDER THE FUEL TANK. LEAKING FUEL COULD RESULT IN A FIRE HAZARD.
Remedy:
YAMAHA DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP O-RING
Zookman

Re: Attention Super Ten owners

Post by Zookman »

Read about this on ADVrider some time ago....I think this is just for the USA models isn't it ?
As far as i'm aware, the only recall on UK models is the rear rack base section... which was replaced on my bike at the first service.
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Not sure if it applies to the UK models.
All the Super Tens are made in Japan and the tank would be fitted before any minor changes to comply with individual countries.

I get the feeling that the recall system is not so rigorosly enforced in this country.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Dark Knight wrote:Not sure if it applies to the UK models.
All the Super Tens are made in Japan and the tank would be fitted before any minor changes to comply with individual countries.

I get the feeling that the recall system is not so rigorosly enforced in this country.
I have thought about this recall before, but never got around to mentioning it to my dealer. There is nothing on UK vehicle recall sites though, or Yamaha's site, and i've not heard of any other UK S10 owner having this fuelpump O ring replaced.
If Yamaha UK are going to recall the UK bikes for the plastic rack base, i would assume they would definitely do a recall for something that could cause a possible fire hazard like this O ring if UK bikes were affected.
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

You would assume so.
My bike is January 2011 and have inspected under the tank as part of the standard winter check list, definetly no leaks or corrosion.
Have attached copy of the Yamaha worksheet for the super Ten (snow paked out my data).

You notice that it requests them to check the fuel lines but do they have the time to raise and inspect under the tank.
Attachments
YamahaXT1200Z_SuperTenMaintenanceWorsheetBlank.PDF
(972.76 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

On another note about the S10....
I've seen a number of S10 owners on forums that have had leaking fork seals replaced. I've had a constant film of oil on my fork legs for the past 6 months and 2,500 miles since buying the bike.
I took it up to Fowlers a few weeks ago for them to look at it, and they booked it in to replace the seals. I went up there this week to have them done.
When the fitter removed the dust seals, he said the fork seals were not leaking at all, but the dust seals still had production grease in them and this was what was coming out. Obviously it would have stopped on its own in time. The fitter cleaned out any remaining production grease that was put in when the bike was produced, and the forks have been clean as a whistle since.
I wonder how many S10 owners have had their fork seals replaced needlessly ! Or whether the seals really were leaking.
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Have checked my fork seals, no signs of any weeping.

Keep the sliding chrome stanctions clean or as I think AfricaJim mentioned, dust or grit on those sliding stanctions can damage the fork seals.
Bigtim

Post by Bigtim »

I've got a 2010 first edition model first registered in 2011. I've not heard anything about a recall for the top box base plate, is this something I should chase my dealer about? and how would i know if it had been done or not?

Tim
siddhartha

Post by siddhartha »

Bigtim - I have 2010 first edition also - I believe the rear rack for top box has a metal bar inserted along its length to provide additional strength - as part of this recall - if i remember correctly. I had it done as part of first 600 mile service. Suggest you contact your dealer.

You never see a motorcycle outside a psychiatrist's office - unfortunately this is not my own quote.

Tenere XT1200Z / Triumph Thunderbird
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Recall attached, Yamaha state max 5 Kilos in top box or probably 10 Kilos on tail rack max allowed loading.
Suspect the problem arose from someone overloading the tail rack.

Sub frame looks pretty strong to me.
Attachments
YamahaXT1200Z_TenereRecallNoRM2010_018.pdf
(57.44 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

Return to “TECHNICAL”