Attention Super Ten owners

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Bigtim

Re: Attention Super Ten owners

Post by Bigtim »

Cheers Sid,

All they did on my first service was change the oil and filter, I know because I watched, nothing else was done. I'll contact them on Monday.

Tim
siddhartha

Post by siddhartha »

I've read somewhere also - not sure if this forum or another - that some S10s appear to be consuming oil far more than usual. I've had to top mine up a couple of times - to keep the level between min and max. She's due for a 6000 mile service in a couple of weeks - and will be raising with my dealer again as I've mentioned it already. I now check oil level - while on centre stand - quite frequently.

You never see a motorcycle outside a psychiatrist's office - unfortunately this is not my own quote.

Tenere XT1200Z / Triumph Thunderbird
Bigtim

Post by Bigtim »

I tend to check my oil regularly like you pretty much every time it goes on the centre stand and so far I've not had to add any, but then although I ride mine daily it's still low mileage as I only commute 6 miles a day.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Bigtim wrote:Cheers Sid,

All they did on my first service was change the oil and filter, I know because I watched, nothing else was done. I'll contact them on Monday.

Tim
They should have also changed the final drive oil and torqued the spokes. The spokes are prone to come loose in the first 600 miles, most of mine were, although they've all stayed tight since.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

siddhartha wrote:I've read somewhere also - not sure if this forum or another - that some S10s appear to be consuming oil far more than usual. I've had to top mine up a couple of times - to keep the level between min and max. She's due for a 6000 mile service in a couple of weeks - and will be raising with my dealer again as I've mentioned it already. I now check oil level - while on centre stand - quite frequently.
How much oil has it used ??
Mine hasn't used any in 2,500 miles.... also being a dry sump the level in the sight glass can fluctuate unless its checked exactly by the book.
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Just had my bike serviced by Alan Duffus at Kirkcaldy at 4,000 miles, but before that it did not seem to use any oil.

It would probably burn more oil in sport mode at higher speeds, I only use sport mode if there is a long que of cars with someone at front doing 40 MPH in a 60 MPH zone and you have to zig zag up the car line.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Torque setting for the spokes is 6NM if you want to do it yourself for peace of mind.
Bigtim

Post by Bigtim »

Looks like I'm going to be going back to them to get the recall done, and get them to check the spokes and change the final drive oil. Many thanks guys. You would have thought a Yamaha main dealer would know what they had to do even though it was a free service.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Bigtim wrote:Looks like I'm going to be going back to them to get the recall done, and get them to check the spokes and change the final drive oil. Many thanks guys. You would have thought a Yamaha main dealer would know what they had to do even though it was a free service.
Unbelievable that they didn't do these things.... I wouldn't use em again.
You can use any shop to service your bike in future, it doesn't have to be a main dealer to keep your warranty. Just make sure they use a Yamaha filter and Yamlube gear oil in the final drive, not any 80/90 gear oil.
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

I notice that the Yamaha worksheet that I attached does not request them to check the spokes or change the final drive oil but have just checked the Service manual and it is definely a requirement in the manual.

Must check the spoke tension in the morning.

Another question for the dealer.

Return to “TECHNICAL”