Dazzling Headlights

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Kerswellcrank

Dazzling Headlights

Post by Kerswellcrank »

Hi folks,
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I'm looking for advice about headlights when driving on the right in France.

What is the law regarding covering the beam to avoid dazzling oncoming vehicles. Do I have to stick tape on the headlight, or adjust the beam?

I've got a '54 Varadero, and the headlight is superb, but the clear perspex cover has no marks or anything to show where to stick tape. Is it just trial and error?

Do I really need to bother? Will I be breaking the law, or be constantly flashed at by other vehicles?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve.
Big Den

Re: Dazzling Headlights

Post by Big Den »

I think a lot of bikes have a headlight that just points straight ahead, mine certainly do. Not sure but with cars its a triangle piece of black tape which cuts the part of the beam which illuminates the roadside/curb on dip.
Just bikes for me ta
sooty

Post by sooty »

Have been abroad half a dozen times, and never yet stuck anything to my lights. Never been flashed at, never been pulled. I think that the majority of modern bikes have 'flat beam lights'.
Just do it B)
mawse

Post by mawse »

Just my 10p worth.

When ive been over to europe ive never bothered with beam deflectors. But what i did was to get some and carry them with me - just in case a friendly plod was having a bad day. That way i felt i was covered. But, up to now ive never been flashed or stopped.

Quote from RAC "Some bikes have straight headlights but some "curl to left". If the headlight beam points to the left (check this on the garage wall etc) you need to use beam deflectors. If it is a straight line you dont."
Phil

Post by Phil »

Big Den wrote:I think a lot of bikes have a headlight that just points straight ahead, mine certainly do.
Thats what ive always thought, i've never taped my lights on the bike or in the car.
BigT

Post by BigT »

Many years ago a group of us toured france, i used the yellow paint on stuff on the headlight. wonder if its still legal or even available ? still have the bottle, kept the headlight yellow for a few weeks after we came home, just to show off that i,d been abroad :whistle:
the older i get...the faster i was :-)
Big Den

Post by Big Den »

BigT wrote:Many years ago a group of us toured france, i used the yellow paint on stuff on the headlight. wonder if its still legal or even available ? still have the bottle, kept the headlight yellow for a few weeks after we came home, just to show off that i,d been abroad :whistle:
Forgotten about that stuff, not seen it for years :laugh:
Just bikes for me ta
Selous

Post by Selous »

Big Den wrote:
BigT wrote:Many years ago a group of us toured france, i used the yellow paint on stuff on the headlight. wonder if its still legal or even available ? still have the bottle, kept the headlight yellow for a few weeks after we came home, just to show off that i,d been abroad :whistle:
Forgotten about that stuff, not seen it for years :laugh:
do they even make it :laugh:

Just my 10p worth, yes this was done in a earlier thread a about going to france & france legislation changes, cant find where it was though? (not a crittisum)
I was in france last year, never covered my lights, however when i put high beam on it did vear over to 1 side of the Rd, I did not put the little black sticky tape on the bike as, didnt really think I would need High beam that much :whistle: & never had a problem
Although remember to adjust your rear suspension if carrying 2 up & luggage, or you may be blinding pepole coming towards you :whistle:

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
Vindaloo

Post by Vindaloo »

As has been mentioned it depends on the bike. I'm not sure about the Vara but my KTM has a flat beam so doesn't need changed. My previous bike, an R120GS was bought in Qatar and I had to change the headlight to a UK compliant version (dip to the left) when I brought the bike home with me.
Kerswellcrank

Post by Kerswellcrank »

Hi Guys,
Sounds like it probably won't be a problem then, so I think I'll leave the lights as they are. Good point about adjusting fo the extra weight though, well worth checking.

Yeah, I remember the yellow paint on stuff. Funny how things like that disappear over the years and you don't notice until you get reminded.

Return to “TECHNICAL”