Weird steering feeling ! Is this normal ?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Bluepaul

Weird steering feeling ! Is this normal ?

Post by Bluepaul »

Hi,

Well the Tiger is no more and I've got myself an ST1100 Pan-european. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

All is great so far but I've noticed a weird sensation when cornering and wonder is this normal for this bike.

In a straight line the bike is fine but when I come to corner I find that when I turn the bars I have to stop the bars from turning further, as if the front wheel wants to turn under the bike. its the same for both left or right turns.

Tyres are Bridgestone 021 in good condition with no flatting and the tyre pressures are good.

So, is this normal and will I just have to get used to it or could there be a problem that needs further investigation ?

Cheers
Paul
Udders

Re: Weird steering feeling ! Is this normal ?

Post by Udders »

Sounds like the steering head bearings are knackered to me. Classic symptoms. If it is (which I'm 95% sure) the only cure is replacement. Fairly easy job but I still got BMW to do the ones on my missus GS.
doctorzippy

Post by doctorzippy »

Udders wrote:Sounds like the steering head bearings are knackered to me. Classic symptoms. If it is (which I'm 95% sure) the only cure is replacement. Fairly easy job but I still got BMW to do the ones on my missus GS.
Sounds plausible. To check, put on centre stand with front wheel off the ground, grab the bottom of the fork legs and try pulling/pushing for/aft. There should be no movement, if there is, it's the head bearings. Also check steering is free from notches by turning the bars lock/lock.

If it's not the head bearings, I'd check the size/profile of the tyres are as per manufacturers recommendations. A too-steep profile could result in the weird feeling also.
Life is a journey, not a destination
appleby

Post by appleby »

Yep, as above I'm sure!
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

Udders wrote:Sounds like the steering head bearings...
...Fairly easy job but I still got BMW to do the ones on my missus GS.
The head bearing isn't impossible to do yourself; I did mine on my GSA without grief and I'm no expert. Bearing was £18 from Motorworks.
...I just want to ride!
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

Also check the forks have not been dropped through the yokes, that would tighten the cornering and if too far could give the feeling of wanting to tuck under
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

Still Gotta Pulse

Post by Still Gotta Pulse »

You've gone from a Tiger to an ST , I would expect it to want to drop into corners due to the smaller front wheel on the ST.

If the head bearings are knackered do the tests as pointed out above, though I would expect the handlebar to oscillate at slow speed (hands off the bar) and progressively get quite violent if they were that really bad. When I say hands off the bar I don't mean try rolling a fag but just have your hands hovering over the grips ready to take control again.

If it IS just the wheel diameter causing this then you will adapt to it as the miles roll by.
Jayrob

Post by Jayrob »

Knackered head stock bearings do the opposite you have to push to turn
Most of time it`s differant tyres or new ones or in your case new bike :-)
Wilso122

Post by Wilso122 »

is the bt021 not a V tyre? in which case it will get to a point then drop to the next. had em on my k1200rs an hated them went back to the 020.

im with the above smaller wheel, different weight etc. check the bearings but doubt its them. try asking the panclan guys. when your used to it you can get spark of the footpegs on roundabouts :silly::silly:

don't forget to check the wheel bearings as well.
950SuperEnduro.com the site for SuperEnduro owners.
special one

Post by special one »

Sure its not a squared off tyre?

Ive had that same sensation before and the tyre replacement solved it.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.

Return to “TECHNICAL”