I was going to buy a trangia but first I would like some answers

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
ipswichbiker

Re: I was going to buy a trangia but first I would like some answers

Post by ipswichbiker »

dubber68 wrote:just been looking at the petrol burner attachment. God how much but probably worth it.
This might be opening a whole new can of worms but why not leave the petrol attachment and just get a petrol stove. You could probably find one of these even cheaper if you shop around.

[ebay]270905462540[/ebay]
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

davsato wrote:
Mike54 wrote:I know some people like them but bugger me they take hours to actually cook anything.
yes, agree with that. but on the other hand, they do a great simmer function :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

the gas burner goes like a rocket, way overpowered but it sure saves on gas, its only running for 3 minutes
Yep, the lack of control is a dealbreaker for me. I had one for years when I was a kid and thought all stoves were as hopeless so stuck with it. Then tried a basic gas stove and the trangia got binned.

Plus its inevitable that if you own a trangia you WILL spill burning meths over your tent/sleeping bag/jacket/bag/self/wife/dog (delete as appropriate) and then dance about trying to put it out with all the enthusiasm of a tramp on hot chips
davsato

Post by davsato »

Mike54 wrote:
davsato wrote:
Mike54 wrote:I know some people like them but bugger me they take hours to actually cook anything.
yes, agree with that. but on the other hand, they do a great simmer function :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

the gas burner goes like a rocket, way overpowered but it sure saves on gas, its only running for 3 minutes
Yep, the lack of control is a dealbreaker for me. I had one for years when I was a kid and thought all stoves were as hopeless so stuck with it. Then tried a basic gas stove and the trangia got binned.

Plus its inevitable that if you own a trangia you WILL spill burning meths over your tent/sleeping bag/jacket/bag/self/wife/dog (delete as appropriate) and then dance about trying to put it out with all the enthusiasm of a tramp on hot chips
the people that refill the burner without making sure its put out first get me, thats why i dont use a liquid fuel anymore
Dave
scouse

Post by scouse »

Just like old times this :D Stoves , eh...who would have thought that there would be a thread on stoves on here :whistle:
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Lee

Post by Lee »

never had a problem using my trangias – simmering is OK once you get used to the setting which I found to be about half-closed (I set it an drop on the simmer ring when the need arises).

P4ulie is right about the water tip – not too much or it'll reduce the heat a bit, but adding water also has the benefit of cutting down on the soot that forms on the bottom of the pans.

The trick with a trangia is to forget everything you've ever learned about how long food takes to cook, and instead master the fine art of patience – you can't rush them :-)
In June this year I undertook the whole Nature Rally in one trip, in aid of Riders for Health

You can read about it at http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... s-now.html

please support me at http://www.justgiving.com/leeparsons-naturerally
Orlando_Orange

Post by Orlando_Orange »

Lee wrote:
The trick with a trangia is to forget everything you've ever learned about how long food takes to cook, and instead master the fine art of patience – you can't rush them :-)
exactly... love my trangia and never had a need for food or drink that couldn't wait the extra few minutes....

and have no problem simmering either...
Chris

G650 X-Challenge

'91 XTZ750
geordy paul

Post by geordy paul »

where are you planning on going? that could make the jet boil unsuitable?
they do a pan support so you can erm" use pans.
if you off where you cant buy gas you will also have bother buying meths.
then the best option would be a petrol stove.
geordy paul

Post by geordy paul »

where are you planning on going? that could make the jet boil unsuitable?
they do a pan support so you can erm" use pans.
if you off where you cant buy gas you will also have bother buying meths.
then the best option would be a petrol stove.
Jimbike

Post by Jimbike »

After trying gas and petrol I've gone back to Trangia. Great simmer and will boil a kettle in a decent time. Organise your cooking and you can do some tasty food from scratch. It also packs up neatly with it's own kettle, pans with enough room for a lighter, small washing up liquid and sponge.
Oh, and it's cheap :cheer:

Unless you NEED to boil a gallon of water in 5 seconds :P
If you have eaten your breakfast, clean your bowl.
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

For bike camping, we take the Triangia and run it on meths. We've invested in a bigger fuel bottle,too :whistle: .

Best thing about it: The way it packs up small and light with kettle, pans etc.
2nd best thing: You can cook inside the tent (as long as you have an escape route of course :blink: )

Worst thing about it: In extreme cold, the meths just doesn't want to know!
2nd worst thing: Slow to the boil but generally that's not a problem.

We take gas when winter camping (car) now because it works at sub-zero and sometimes time is very important if you are freezing cold and need to get some warm food or tea.

Jon

Return to “TECHNICAL”