Heide,Heide now (K60s)

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Stray Dog

Re: Heide,Heide now (K60s)

Post by Stray Dog »

Gosh it makes a change to get proper advice on a forum.
Cheers guys...

Ok First off I'm travelling on my own, minimum luggage.
I live in France, so yes I could get the tyres changed on route.
But being a tight wad, I want to try and get it sorted before returning
Tyres in France tend to be dearer than UK, especially at a local dealer (Not internet)
Defo touring not racing...Going to try and avoid the Autoroutes as much as possible.

The route is still in the planning stage.
But at the moment its from home, Angouleme to Annecy, then follow the Alps to Monaco.
Then along the Med coast to Spain, then down to Faro for the Bike rally.
After that back up to the West coast of the Pyranees, then along the mountains to Andorra. then from there to home.
Well that's the plan.... :unsure:

Simon, I don't plan to go near the beaches in Spain. I got into trouble a few years back coz of that.
But in France there are loads of beaches that you can ride and camp on.
If I get the K60 I want to see if I can get away with the 140 section on the rear
so I get the centre band.

It sounds like the K60's are going to be ideal for the dryer conditions I'm expecting.
Thanks again for you in depth replies, it is much appreciated.

Dog
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Stray Dog..

let me put it another way..if you drop you Alp because of the wrong tyres it`ll cost big money...far more than 2 or 3 sets of tyres..I speak from experience as others will testify my bike gets a hard life :laugh: ..

The k60 scout in 140 size is fine for road but anything else its LETHAL :woohoo:

the centre band is there to slow tyre wear down not help grip..the 130 is similar in design to the old k60`s which where absolutly brilliant I have a few part worns in the garage..

It pains me to say it but TKC are the only real tyre for your needs if you want QUITE ride..

the tyre link company will ship worldwide..but like anything shop around on the net..hot 30c+ roads kill tyres as do brakes..the hardest wearing tyre anywhere is the mitas E-07..as tried and tested worldwide by true adventure folks..even Russia.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Good luck with riding on a beach on anything but full knobblies.

The k60's are great but in my experience you cant run them at normal pressure, they "work" about 28psi rear and front and I don't run them at more than that, even on the road. The 140 rear is fine and not slippy on road at all if run at a lower pressure. If you run them at 38 or whatever, yes, they are scary.
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Tramp wrote:these guys offer huge range and very good price and service..

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre/heidenau-k60..
Yip , good company , used them before and have a pair of tyres on route as we speak.

Think they are based in Poland . But only 3-5 days shipping time to Scotland .

Good info on this thread , :) :)
*Touring Ted*

Post by *Touring Ted* »

I put 16,000 miles on my front K60 and it STILL past the MOT when I got back.

However, I'm keen to give these a go.

http://www.zenoverland.com/tyres_tubes/ ... lorer.html
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

excellent tyre ...same as the old k60..but 18" rears only
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

LargeWayRound wrote:
Tramp wrote:these guys offer huge range and very good price and service..

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre/heidenau-k60..
Yip , good company , used them before and have a pair of tyres on route as we speak.

Think they are based in Poland . But only 3-5 days shipping time to Scotland .

Good info on this thread , :) :)
+1 for oponeo, they operate in Spain too and so I guess in France. The only snag i've found with on-line tyres is they are only available in the country where you credit card/bank account is domiciled - otherwise I'd order in France, where tyre seem to be much cheaper than Spain :(

Regs

Simon

PS pop in for a cuppa when you're around the Pyrenees :)
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
economix

Post by economix »

I need to change to dual sport on my XL700 shortly, I was thinking of going for the old tried and tested Metz Tourances. have some trails in Mid Wales planned for April during the 'Taffy Dakar', nothing technical I'm sure. My mate has K60's on his KTM 990Adv but still hasn't had the opp to use them much due to weather. Any feedback as to whether I should get the K60's as opposed to Tourances? Prob only light trails in Wales as previously mentioned.
Cheers
Rich
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Surely therew is enough info on here and adv for you to decide?..personally I,d get mitas E09 front and rear..tourances are road tyres.
economix

Post by economix »

I have read the thread but just wondered what the best compromise was. I appreciate Tourances are for dry trails only (Not quite road tyres :) ) However the Mitas tyres you prefer probably won't give much in the way of longevity. Will be doing mostly road riding.

Return to “TECHNICAL”