CRF Shock Knock

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
rockdodger

CRF Shock Knock

Post by rockdodger »

Recently bought a new Hagon rear shock and had it fitted by a local garage. When I’ve got it home I’ve noticed a knock at the rear end.

Mechanic thought it could be the linkage bearings so I’ve replaced them all, fitted new collars and still have a knock. Knock is now only slight and is there when there’s no weight on the bike and the rear wheel is off the floor.

Things I’ve noticed;
- I’m missing a washer off one of the mounts
- the lower mount on the Hagon can slide left to right
- I can’t feel any noticeable play in any of the pivot points

Anyone any ideas?
redbikejohn

Re: CRF Shock Knock

Post by redbikejohn »

Find a new mechanic. Hard to diagnose when we can't see it but shock should not move side to side.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

There is no side movement at bottom of oem shock so is this the correct hagon shock for the crf, or it may just need washers to fill gap? Also, the hagon shock looks a thicker/wider spring so this may be hitting somewhere, probably the swing arm at the 'hole' in it .[ at the middle when at up wheel position but at the lower of shock when at down position.] Don't think you can do much about that, except maybe an adjustable linkage? but it seems ok when weighted, anyway?

Another possibility is that the lower bolt/nut on the shock bottom is protruding due to the bottom fork of the shock being too wide.? and hitting the linkage when passing.

Maybe Jack up the bike, support the handlebars, and get mate to move wheel while you inspect. also..Check is correct shock for your bike, and that the end holes on the shock are not too wide? everything should be a snug fit.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

I once had one of their shocks sent and the bottom eye bush had too larger diameter than the mounting bolt. I saw this prior to fitting. But it could be your problem. In fairness they were very quick to sort it for me and very apologetic. Mistakes happen, it’s how they are sorted that count!
rockdodger

Post by rockdodger »

Thank for all the replies and I will continue to investigate.
I’m Hagon will sort me out if it’s there problem
Cheers
rockdodger

Post by rockdodger »

rockdodger wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:14 pm Thank for all the replies and I will continue to investigate.
I’m sure Hagon will sort me out if it’s there problem
Cheers

Return to “TECHNICAL”