KTM upgraded parallel twin on way

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
dave h

KTM upgraded parallel twin on way

Post by dave h »

Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: KTM upgraded parallel twin on way

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Those surviving KTM 950/990 V-twins get more valuable by the day
Monster

Post by Monster »

Ohhhhhh .... the irony

A new 990 Adventure? all it needs is maybe a fuel gauge and better range !!

Sorted
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
Richard Simpson Mark II

I've ridden both the CF Moto-engined bikes (790 Adv and 890 Adv). Coming off a 950...even one with 40,000 miles on it like mine, first thing you notice is the mechanical noise. The guy who owned the 790 got rid of it because it sounded like a bag of spanners.

Having done the valve clearances on my bike, it's noticeable how well-built the engines are, with the exception of the waterpumps.

I wonder if you get the same feeling of quality from the Chinese ones?

Still, 270 degree parallel twins are cheap and easy to build, so that's what we get. BMW, KTM, CF Moto, Aprilia, Yamaha, Honda, and now Suzuki they can't all be wrong.

Maybe it's me...had my head turned at an impressionable age working at a Ducati/Moto Guzzi/Morini dealer back in the 1970s. My first full-time permanent job, and by far the most memorable. But there's something about the sound of a V-twin.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Aaah the sound my open piped 916 used to make on the overrun 😍.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Apparently, the 270 parallel twin was chosen to emulate the sound and vibration qualities of a harley? Bikers were complaining that the Japanese in-line 4 was Too smooth and quiet, and therefore bland.

People like Honda must have experimented with the offset setup and timing for ages, to get the right sort of vibration that resonated with bikers' bums lol.

My NC750 is such a 270 twin, and honda have certainly got the depth of exhaust note and inner rumble just right. Strangely, they say they left in the over-rumble when the engine is labouring, with some sort of plausible explanation, but I think it is more to do with overall compromise between fuel efficiency, sound, vibrations, and power.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

garyboy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:59 am Apparently, the 270 parallel twin was chosen to emulate the sound and vibration qualities of a harley? Bikers were complaining that the Japanese in-line 4 was Too smooth and quiet, and therefore bland.
Can' comment about the Honda, but the KTM 790/890 engine is so lacking in character, no way does it resemble a V Twin.

( I will admit to having owned 5 real KTM LC8s, 3 Ducatis, 2 Moto Morinis and a Honda V Twin.
The much maligned CX500 engine had more character than the current KTM engine IMO.)
Richard Simpson Mark II

redbikejohn wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:34 pm Aaah the sound my open piped 916 used to make on the overrun 😍.
Oh yes...the glory days of World Superbikes...Saw Foggy first on the 888 (the infamous worm leathers at Donington Park) then for a good few years after on the 916.

Documentary film When Superbikes Ruled The World airs occasionally on (I think) ITV.
Toe

Post by Toe »

garyboy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:59 am Apparently, the 270 parallel twin was chosen to emulate the sound and vibration qualities of a harley? Bikers were complaining that the Japanese in-line 4 was Too smooth and quiet, and therefore bland.

People like Honda must have experimented with the offset setup and timing for ages, to get the right sort of vibration that resonated with bikers' bums lol.

My NC750 is such a 270 twin, and honda have certainly got the depth of exhaust note and inner rumble just right. Strangely, they say they left in the over-rumble when the engine is labouring, with some sort of plausible explanation, but I think it is more to do with overall compromise between fuel efficiency, sound, vibrations, and power.
I think it's to replicate a 90 degree because the firing order on a 270 matches the 90. Always thought it was properly kicked off by Yamaha with the TRX850 wanting it to mimic a Ducati!
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

TBH I've never really understood it, or could visualise it.

Return to “TECHNICAL”