Imagine if you had no mechanical knowledge

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Imagine if you had no mechanical knowledge

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

but had a bike that needed an oil change, a workshop manual, and a comprehensive set of tools. How would you get on?

Caution...you may be in love by the end of this video, but she is obviously in love with someone else

qcnr

Re: Imagine if you had no mechanical knowledge

Post by qcnr »

I thought it was a brilliant film :D
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

I have a lot of sympathy for technical authors who write those manuals
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

That was great. It must be nice to do your first oil change in a really well kitted out workshop, on a newish bike, with a manual and a patient helper.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Certainly not the reality I faced in a cold damp council shed with my cheapo socket set and a hammer in 1977 :D
Its a trick............get an Axe
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

HarveyCamm wrote: ↑Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:10 am I have a lot of sympathy for technical authors who write those manuals
Tell me about it. I once wrote a 'simple' instruction book for a Generation One digital tachograph for Volvo Trucks...one of the most demanding things I've ever done.

You have to constantly remind yourself

1) the reader knows nothing about the subject: he's never seen one before

2) he's probably already got his mate to 'help' him...who has also never seen one before but can't admit it

3) the only reason he's even opened the book is because he's just realised he's cocked it up already.

4) The consequences of the reader getting it wrong are potentially horrendous.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: ↑Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:50 am
HarveyCamm wrote: ↑Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:10 am I have a lot of sympathy for technical authors who write those manuals
Tell me about it. I once wrote a 'simple' instruction book for a Generation One digital tachograph for Volvo Trucks...one of the most demanding things I've ever done.

You have to constantly remind yourself

1) the reader knows nothing about the subject: he's never seen one before

2) he's probably already got his mate to 'help' him...who has also never seen one before but can't admit it

3) the only reason he's even opened the book is because he's just realised he's cocked it up already.

4) The consequences of the reader getting it wrong are potentially horrendous.
This is kind of what I do for a living with telecoms, there is a constant battle between these ideas:

1. Anyone touching this stuff should be an expert and not need a noddy guide,
2. Everyone who touches this stuff does it wrong and clearly has not idea what they are doing.
3. Everyone who touches this stuff thinks they know exactly what to and will do it their way what ever I write down.
4. I'd rather cut my arm off than read a manual.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

Now that tertiary colleges have no ability / interest in "because I want to know" courses and can only apparently deliver stuff where you have to aim toward a qualification for them to get funding, I think it'd be good if the bike shops / dealers etc ran courses of a couple of hours on maintenance for those new to bikes and cars - here's how to fix a puncture, top up the blinker fluid :lol: etc.

We the grey haired bikers ain't gonna be around forever but when my young'uns start riding they'll get the "how to" lessons as best as I can give 'em
Lesson 1 - sit on the top and face the direction of the bright white light, not the red light direction that won't work, not for long anyway :lol:
Calvin.jpg
Calvin.jpg (41.95 KiB) Viewed 2282 times
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

I know a guy who did a couple of bike service training days - oils, plugs, brake pads/fluid and valve clearances - so a standard 1200 mile service.
It was on oil cooled boxer engines so easy to work on.

He charged a set fee, can’t remember but not much considering how much you could save.

Anyone on here willing to do the same?
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

None of us were born with mechanical knowledge, some learnt from being trained and some learnt from the school of hard knocks (not always a successful outcome although youtube can be a godsend). I suspect with the increasing cost of new bikes, along with the sometimes necessary financial ties, means that home servicing will be in decline (atleast until the lease or warranty expires). It's ironic that when you get to the time of life where you can afford a new bike you become less interested in tying yourself into the clutches of the dealers and fail to see the value in doing so :roll: :oops:
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to β€œTECHNICAL”