What do I need to know ?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
soho

What do I need to know ?

Post by soho »

Never had the slightest interest in BM's of any kind, but I'm about to buy an '81 R100RS for winter use. Anyone here have any knowledge of these bikes. It's in great condition, but can I expect it to give me any ' JIP '
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: What do I need to know ?

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Not owned one, but I know people who have.

Engines pretty much bulletproof...easy-drain Bing carbs, if you get a misfire, it's likely to be water in the fuel. Turn the fuel off, unclip the floatbowl, tip the contents out, refit, turn fuel on and ride away...easiest fix ever!

Final drive less robust than engine, brakes not so good, handling can be a bit wobbly at speed.

But, in my opinion, a very well-designed and comfortable bike. If you are filtering, they are narrower with boxes on than most modern 'nakeds' and you've got a better fairing than you'll find on most modern bikes.

Park it up alongside a modern BM, and it's a clear illustration of why all that \'essential' complexity comes at a cost.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Absolute classic--100 mph cruising with complete protection. Handling is good, but brakes are 81 so don't expect modern miracles--but can be upgraded. carbs are easily serviced--but it really depends on unmolested condition. Very robust unlike modern paralever rubbish. If its in a sorry state it can be expensive to replace parts , but most parts are available either from BM or Motorworks or Moto Bins. They are simple --and weigh a lot less than any modern stuff, and can carry a good set of panniers. We have an 81 R80 G/S--and they are fetching 8k and upwards in good order--with good reason as they are 168kg dry, low seat, smooth--and will do just what any adventure bike will do--the choice of lots of RTW types. To sum up it really depends on condition--have a good poke and prod and take it for a ride, and ideally take a BMW airhead owner with you.
soho

Post by soho »

Thank you both, the only airhead owner I know is the one who's selling it, but I've known him 40 years and he's had the bike most of that time. It's really tidy with VERY low mileage ! I went to see him to buy something else but now I'm buying both.... I'm so effin' (stupid ?) easy. :D
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

If you live in Westminster, won't you have to pay Sad eeek Con's pollution charge on it though?
soho

Post by soho »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:22 pm If you live in Westminster, won't you have to pay Sad eeek Con's pollution charge on it though?
You are entirely correct, but it's not for London I've a couple of new bikes for here. It's to get from my bike hideout/workshop in Cambridgeshire to my mums care home a couple of times a week it West Herts.

Westminster- Cambridgeshire - West Herts...........The triangle of doom and at the mo' normally done on a nice bike or in a not so nice Ford Fiesta. (My van stays up north too as it's resident ULEZ discount ran out Oct 2021, it's amazing how 12 quid a day quickly adds up)

Actually, my workshop could be better described as a care home for Sad eeeks non ULEZ compliant old reject vehicles. :x
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

i know next to nothing about bmw .. but i did visit their showroom in ..er .. wherever it is germany??. with a mate who had loads of bm's.

he loaned me a R60 and i was really impressed ... slowish, light, easy to ride and stable. what impressed me most was that my feet were warm and dry after 4 hours of non stop riding. He had his wife and kid in a k75? outfit lol. in those days the cylinders were lower ... just in front of your feel ... ideal for winter. didn't even get wet up top and no fairing.

I remember him saying that they were easy to work on, but if you wanted to go past the outer bits of the engine/gearbox then only bmw had that special tool to get in. I think that is why we went to german land.?

My guess is that the r100 would be great for your travel route .. as long as it lasted, which should be a fair time given the low mileage, but could be quite expensive to repair. My thoughts are that these bikes, even though relatively low priced, are best bought by real bmw enthusiasts with experience and contacts? .. but the reward would be a nice stable safe gentle ride?? .... (o and good tyres even better )
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Great bikes , I have an r80 and a r100gs lovely to ride , spares readily available and a good airhead group on FB ,
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

On ULEZ aren't 40 plus year old vehicles exempt as they will never pass an emission test and are MOT exempt?
Just had a look on line and "Drivers of cars more than 40 years old can apply for an exemption from the ULEZ. It's a rolling exemption, so in 2022 vehicles built before 1982 are eligible to apply for historic vehicle tax class."
soho

Post by soho »

catcitrus wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:21 am On ULEZ aren't 40 plus year old vehicles exempt as they will never pass an emission test and are MOT exempt?
Just had a look on line and "Drivers of cars more than 40 years old can apply for an exemption from the ULEZ. It's a rolling exemption, so in 2022 vehicles built before 1982 are eligible to apply for historic vehicle tax class."

Yes both bikes are Tax & MOT exempt, I checked the BMW online and there is a daily ULEZ charge for me, although the other bike (a stroker) appears to be free to choke every one in Soho !!! :lol:

Return to “TECHNICAL”