Clutch Rumble

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
tiger800xc

Clutch Rumble

Post by tiger800xc »

I have recently purchased (private sale) a 2019 Africa Twin Adventure ( manual gearbox)
Love the bike, although the last few days I have noticed a rumble when riding the bike, when the clutch is let out
and it stops once I pull up to a junction.

The bike has done just over 4000 miles and looks like a1 condition
My question is could it be the clutch already??

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Ferris Bueller
garyboy

Re: Clutch Rumble

Post by garyboy »

Clutch could easily have problems if wrong oil is used, or adjusted incorrectly. or used in a naughty manner. old or contaminated oil etc. Check for correct adjustment.. though unlikely.

Also a badly aligned drive chain, unoiled chain, worn chain and sprockets. Etc etc. Could cause rumble.
Also warped clutch plates are in the mix? but unlikely.

First check for wear, adjustment, alignment, oil type and level etc.... then maybe look at bearings . Even look at clutch springs, going deeper .. just thoughts :)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I bet its worn and misaligned chain .... but I am usually wrong lol :D
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

I had an AT in the workshop last year with similar symptoms and it was a rear wheel bearing. There are numerous possibilities that it could be. Once you've checked the obvious, put it on the main stand, running and in 1st gear and try to identify where the noise is coming from.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
tiger800xc

Post by tiger800xc »

AlanHolt wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:26 am I had an AT in the workshop last year with similar symptoms and it was a rear wheel bearing. There are numerous possibilities that it could be. Once you've checked the obvious, put it on the main stand, running and in 1st gear and try to identify where the noise is coming from.
HI Alan
The clutch rumbles is there when you start the bike, ie still on the side stand and in Neutral waiting for me to put my gloves on.
So it can not be the wheel bearing or the chain etc
going to get it booked in next week for a service and ask the dealer to check
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Ferris Bueller
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Is it a new thing...there's a change in noise on most bikes depending on if the clutch is 'in' or 'out'. See especially Italian dry-clutch bikes, where you can hear the clutch plates clatter when the lever is back at the bars.
But listen carefully and there's always a change in mechanical noise.
I wouldn't be too confident about the dealer's ability to acknowledge/diagnose a problem...many simply lack the time or skills to do anything other than servicing or plugging in a laptop.
tiger800xc

Post by tiger800xc »

Update
Well the AT went in for a service, oil and filter mainly and check over as I wanted piece of mind
Having purchased the bike only A few months ago.
I have to say the rumble is a lot quieter since the oil change.

Ferris Bueller

Return to “TECHNICAL”