Headlight upgrade

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
scooby

Headlight upgrade

Post by scooby »

Hi do's anyone know of a decent upgrade for BMW F800 headlights ? i was going to install an LED setup but i've been told it will melt the reflector , has anyone done their bike?
The standard lights are pretty poor on country lanes at this time of year.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Headlight upgrade

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

You could try adding a pair of spotlamps.

Headlamp 'upgrades' using the original lens and reflector are sometimes disappointing: the light is brighter, but in the wrong place to focus and produce a beam.

Back in the days when motorbikes had crap 35w headlamps, Cibie did what were amazing for the time upgrades with 75w halogen bulbs...but the kit included an entirely new unit with a concave lens. I really wanted one, but they were very expensive.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Beware putting brighter ( hotter) bulbs in! I had f800 and by 40,000 miles reflector had a black Mark on it, standard bulbs all the time. Its a known issue despite what BMW might say ;)
scooby

Post by scooby »

thats what i heard Nigel, i was curious whether anyone has installed one of the LED complete units that are advertised mostly on ebay, i dont want to dive in at £190n if they are a bit pants.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I have the Cibie conversion fitted to the Commando, used to light cigarettes off it :lol:

On the Serow I have an additional handlebar mounted rechargeable led spot light and it works exceptionally well. Some of the mountain bike lights are really good too.

TTFN

Hugh.
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

I've put a Cyclops LED bulb in mine & It's great!!

Finally I can see at night.

Cost £80 2 years ago.

D
scooby

Post by scooby »

Is that in an F800 and where did you buy it ?
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

LED bulbs work if they have the light source concentrated and in the same place as the H4 etc. They don't give off much heat BUT the electronics need room at the back of the lens for the cooling fan--again not much heat or current draw. VOSA did try and ban such conversions for bikes recently, but rescinded it pretty quickly--its still in for cars. The key thing is having a discernable beam cut off when the beam aim is tested. You can pretty much judge this by shining it against a garage door or similar--before and after. With the right bulb it works a treat and I've always passed the beam cut off test--I always mod my bikes--for half the current draw and twice the light.
scooby

Post by scooby »

Ive already tried an LED bulb in my F800R but in less than a hundred miles it had started to blacken the reflector , ive used the same LED bulbs in a 2005 GS1200 and on my TTR600 with no problems and a lot of mile covered..
The main problem i have is when using dip beam on country lanes, with the standard halogen its had to pick out the left edge of the road , on Tuesday night i had a car behind me with LED lights and my shadow almost covered the light from my light!
May have to bite the bullet and buy a complete LED headlight or not go out in the dark.

Thanks for the replys guys.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

most odd that it should blacken your lens---they don't run hot at all?--sounds like there are other issues with the bulb that you fitted--and the blackening was possibly a deposit from the failing LED.?--more expert comments required from the collective? I've run LEDs on my WR for 1000s of miles as the headlight is permanently on--and never an issue like that.

Return to “TECHNICAL”