Ignition Coils.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Hugh

Re: Ignition Coils.

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I will try and take some more photos later :idea:

TTFN

Hugh.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Ok, so where were we. Talking about an oil cooled 6v (could be 12v) ignition coil.
term.jpeg
term.jpeg (120.66 KiB) Viewed 946 times
You should be able to see;
a) one single lead which is the low voltage input to the primary coil, let's say of 100 turns
b) two leads which is a connection between the low voltage primary and one end of the secondary coil, this terminal external post connects to the switched on/off earth, typically contact breaker points. Remember that the secondary is composed of many more coils than the primary and is insulated from but wrapped around the primary coil
c) in the top corner, the high voltage output leading to the plug or distributor cap.
sec out.jpeg
sec out.jpeg (72.45 KiB) Viewed 946 times
The second picture is taken from above showing the lead which connects the secondary coil to the laminated metal core into which will be induced the HT when the primary and secondary coil's energy source is switched off.
lam.jpeg
lam.jpeg (112.51 KiB) Viewed 946 times
The picture above shows the laminated strips of metal which form the central core, into which passes the HT from the primary and secondary windings. This core is made up of multiple strips of metal. (contd.)
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Me again,

I have not cut up the coils but you can see that the wires of the secondary coils are frayed.
fray.jpeg
fray.jpeg (103.43 KiB) Viewed 945 times
I am presuming that those cables still fully connected are allowing enough HT to pass for starting but insufficient when put under load.

The proof of the pudding will be decided when I can next take the rascal out for a proper road test :?

TTFN

Hugh.

PS I hate electrickery, the art of passing smoke inside cables to make lights work :!: or not :?:

Return to “TECHNICAL”