Garmin Satnav Problem

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
gbags

Garmin Satnav Problem

Post by gbags »

Hi Guys,
I have. Garmin Zumo 390L and it started switching itself off while I was riding.
I plugged it in at home, gave it an address and left it on all night.
So it charged fine and worked at home.
I bought a new cable and had it professionally installed, as the bike has worked hard.
Took it out last week on the bike for a two hour trip and the Garmin cut out 10 or 12 times. It sometimes came back on too.
I plugged it into the car and it worked flawlessly, so the Garmin works and it must be a power supply problem.
I’m thinking that the two-spot motorbike touch connector at the back must be connecting poorly.

Am I right and what’s the solution if I am?

Thanks
Tramp

Re: Garmin Satnav Problem

Post by Tramp »

Yes you are correct in your assumption... Contact and send it back to Garmin for repair... I've a zumo 595 and works fine but battery dosent hold charge, but that's okay when plugged in..

Maybe buy a replacement cheaply off ebay etc...
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Early TomToms were known for vibrating their sprung loaded contact pins to pieces and then not charging (mine failed in Lisbon in the dark!)--but you didn't notice as there was no real screen info until it was too late. Garmins tend to switch themselves off when the power supply is interrupted--and you can miss the info about staying on without the external power source. At least with the Montana it will run off AAs if required. On a long trip I carry two spare charged Garmin batteries just in case the power supply fails (or the bike dies!)---you can run a Montana virtually all day on a couple of sets of AAs if required. However, I have a couple of powered mounts to suit 3 bikes with waterproof common connectors near the handlebar on all 3 bikes. The power source is also direct from the battery so that I don't have the problem of it shutting down when I turn the ignition off. I use RAM mounts and they seem to take a bit of the shock loadings out anyway.
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Mine does it occasionally, I make sure that I clean the spots on the back with contact cleaner, and also make sure that the little spring loaded tips in the cradle are free - sometimes one would stick in after a bump, meaning there was no power.

D
gbags

Post by gbags »

Thanks fellas,

I’ll try a reset, clean and check the contacts and talk to Garmin if all else fails.
Mike Wrights

Post by Mike Wrights »

Tramp wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:06 pm Yes you are correct in your assumption... Contact and send it back to Garmin for repair... I've a zumo 595 and works fine but battery dosent hold charge, but that's okay when plugged in..

Maybe buy a replacement cheaply off ebay etc...
I have the same model and issue however there is a fix. Basically it's the pins on the battery plug need to be tweaked using a pin for a good connection. YouTube will give you a walk through
dave h

Post by dave h »

I wire mine like this these days,
IMG_20211007_181656.jpg
IMG_20211007_181656.jpg (108.59 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
Just need a ram mount and 12v socket so easy to swap between bikes rather than have an hardwired cradle on each bike,

Dave.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Chalky723 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:58 am Mine does it occasionally, I make sure that I clean the spots on the back with contact cleaner, and also make sure that the little spring loaded tips in the cradle are free - sometimes one would stick in after a bump, meaning there was no power.

D
I spray white grease onto the cradle to keep all moisture off the pins. The +ve pin has long been known to corrode on Garmin mounts...

Even heard of people putting in a switch to kill the +ve feed!

Return to “TECHNICAL”