E10 Fuels

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
catcitrus

Re: E10 Fuels

Post by catcitrus »

Both E5 and E10 have been available in France for some time--but I've already managed to avoid E10 in recent visits to France. Last weekend I found that small petrol stations with only two pumps per station ( UK--Ecky Thump rally) were either E10 or diesel. Its also true that most E10 labels are actually still E5 as they ramp up supply--and a good point about the additional content affecting some pump sealing systems--as they are constantly exposed. People have GENUINELY been noticing poorer fuel economy with E10--not surprising as you are buying liquid oxygen with zero calorific value. E10 is meant to have a higher octane rating, whether this is due to slower flame front velocity I don't know---but a slower combustion process could certainly affect a reasonably high output two stroke and cause piston overheating? Anyway--the so called green credentials of E10 are frankly bullshit and only serve to keep the petrol companies relevant--I invite you all to get googling and have a good look at the ethanol production process and its water and energy consumption. I think/hope that they don't come up with a wheeze for diesel fuel--we already have bio diesel and McDoogals are using up their chip fat in this way---we don't hear much about the move to bio diesel which has been going on for ages--long live diesel power!
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

Yawn. It really is getting boring. You don’t like E10/change so don’t buy it. Please don’t carry on your hate campaign against it you really do sound foolish. It’s been used in other nearby countries for over a decade. That’s a long time.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:09 pm
Cornishman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:32 pm
Hugh wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:12 pm Greetings,

Popped in to my local bike shop to pick up a new inner tube and was amazed as to how many two stroke engine failures and problems have occurred following the use of E10. I wonder if because of the slow burn time characteristic it is consuming the two stroke oil :?:

TTFN

Hugh.
Amazing seeing how short a time it has been on sale in the U.K.
Our local supermarket filling station is closed while they convert it to E10. New hoses, pumps, seals etc required. A major job, by all accounts.
Ethanol certainly can attack seals and hoses not designed for it, but we've had E5 in British Pumps for a few years now and Ive not come across a single station that had to change out gear for E10

I hate the stuff, the green argument for it is indeed bullshit and have one vehicle that absolutely can not use it but I think you're greatly exaggerating the problem
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

Seminole wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:25 pm
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:09 pm
Cornishman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:32 pm
Hugh wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:12 pm Greetings,

Popped in to my local bike shop to pick up a new inner tube and was amazed as to how many two stroke engine failures and problems have occurred following the use of E10. I wonder if because of the slow burn time characteristic it is consuming the two stroke oil :?:

TTFN

Hugh.
Amazing seeing how short a time it has been on sale in the U.K.
Our local supermarket filling station is closed while they convert it to E10. New hoses, pumps, seals etc required. A major job, by all accounts.
Ethanol certainly can attack seals and hoses not designed for it, but we've had E5 in British Pumps for a few years now and Ive not come across a single station that had to change out gear for E10

I hate the stuff, the green argument for it is indeed bullshit and have one vehicle that absolutely can not use it but I think you're greatly exaggerating the problem
It’s just another bit of fake news he’s dredged up. The man is best ignored.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

It's Tesco in Launceston, actually.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

E10 tested 4 minutes in.

See comments below the vid for reports of the damage it does to rubber seals etc.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:53 pm

E10 tested 4 minutes in.

See comments below the vid for reports of the damage it does to rubber seals etc.
And the quality of his source material gets worse and worse. Perhaps ask ADAC.I’m sure they have access to a lot of genuine data based on over a decade’s wort of data. A bit more reliable than a random YouTube video.
I repeat, E10 may be new to Backwards Britain but it is not new.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

In uk e10 is of various quality or strength depends on shell , esso etc or supermarket crap even less petrol per litre....I've noticed better mpg in my xt660z with esso and shell e10 than either Morrison's or Asda...upto 5mpg less....

Also only esso super unleaded jn the south has zero ethanol the rest of uk....has upto 5%...the cars another story soon to be replaced by a dirty diesel...

Whatever folks views e10 is bad for customers of petrol combustion engines....the environment is irrelevant to me at my age....
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

My point has always been that increasing the ethanol content does nothing in the round to improve the environmental impact of petrol---ethanol is not "free" to produce (energy and water usage), and any slight emissions gain at the end usage point is offset by poorer fuel economy as has been observed--I'm not an E10 hater-Its just that I have yet to see any substantive argument for its use other than lining the pockets of farmers, who should be growing food, and trying to keep the oil companies "relevant" in the public's eye --I do not like political bullshit that treats us like simpletons. As for diesel just look up the tailpipe of any new haulage truck and it will probably still be shiny. Aftertreatment applied to HCs, particulates and NOx is very effective , and they even have an ammonia clean up catalyst at the end to counteract overdosing of adblue so that you can't smell it and it keeps it to a max of about 6 ppm.
dave h

Post by dave h »

E10 may be new to Backwards Britain but it is not new

Vive la France,

dave.

Return to “TECHNICAL”