E10 Fuels

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
OB1

E10 Fuels

Post by OB1 »

E10 is replacing 'normal' E5 unleaded petrol. On September 1, the default petrol available in forecourts will switch from E5 to E10. The difference between E10 and E5 is that E5 contains just 5% of renewable ethanol, whereas the new edition contains 10%, reducing the amount of CO2-based vehicle emissions produced.

The last time that I used E10 was when I travelled back from Assen in 2014. On my return, I didn't use the bike for a few days which caused a blockage in the fuelling system. I learnt from that mistake and have never used E10 since.

I've just been to look on the Government Website to see if I will be affected by the change. It says that my Honda CRF250 Rally "can use ethanol-blended gasoline up to 10%", however, there is no listing for AJP or many other bikes besides the big four and a few others.

A quick Google search brings up, "The AJP PR7 engine requires unleaded gasoline with a 95 or higher octane index (containing up to 5% of ethanol)". This means that I will now have to use the "Super Unleaded" pump as that is still classed as E5.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Billy Bananahead

Re: E10 Fuels

Post by Billy Bananahead »

OB1 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:05 pm engine requires unleaded gasoline with a 95 or higher octane index (containing up to 5% of ethanol)". This means that I will now have to use the "Super Unleaded" pump as that is still classed as E5.
That's what i've been led to believe regarding the use of E5 in my old XS1100. I just hope that they don't phase out E5. Fat chance of that then!
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

The "green credentials" of E10 is frankly bullshit---petrol has to be further treated to add E10, the production of ethanol uses energy--where is that from. ? You are effectively using liquid oxygen which has no calorific value--fuel consumption will be worse. Ethanol absorbs water 50 times more than petrol--the consequence is that it separates and causes corrosion. Ethanol attacks all kinds of plastics and rubber. There is the argument that growing corn etc to convert to ethanol is a poor use of crops which should really be for food. The emissions gain from the tailpipe with 10% ethanol is probably around 1% according to research. The only people that gain are the people in the chain producing the wretched stuff.--MONEY TALKS, DISTORTS THE FACTS, AND CORRUPTS.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

bill_qaz wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:12 pm You may find this useful
https://www.acem.eu/component/content/a ... ise/33-e10

Basically the same list as the gov.uk website.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

As previously stated on other threads on this matter, it's another green con of no environmental benefit.
Ethanol was once used in aviation...but it attacks all non-ferrous metals, plastics etc.
For the moment you can still buy E5 Super, so do that.
Shame more people didn't take part in the 'consultation' and voice the reasonable view that putting this rubbish in petrol is no help to the environment.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

As you clean out your damaged fuel systems etc you can console yourself with the thought that Greta is happy now....except she's not.

Interesting that the reason the Greek wildfires were so bad this season is that the rural firebrigades had all been disbanded on the orders of the EU/IMF...and that was reported in the Guardian of all places.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

I don't think Greta is stupid enough to see Ethanol production as Green.

Esso super is still Ethanol free in most areas
berin

Post by berin »

Seminole wrote:I don't think Greta is stupid enough to see Ethanol production as Green.

Esso super is still Ethanol free in most areas
Greta is stupid enough to think you can change the weather by giving more money to the Government, so I wouldn’t be too sure on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Don't you just love it when grown men belittle a young girl who is just trying to make a difference... :evil:
justrtw.com

Return to “TECHNICAL”