E10 Fuels

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Cornishman

Re: E10 Fuels

Post by Cornishman »

gazxt1200z wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:39 pm I went to have a go on a demo of the new yamaha tracer 900,really liked it because unlike the old tracer the new one was really torquey grunt at any revs like a baby mt10,so i bought one,as i was running it in and not revving it i did not realise my bike was nothing like the demo until they gave me it back when mine was being serviced,as i had just got off mine,the difference was massive they were like two different bikes,mine felt like a 600,i had been running mine on e10,so i asked the owner of the shop about the demo,he said they don't ask punters to put petrol in the demos and all they put in is super unleaded,so i run my bike almost out of the e10 and put super unleaded in,it is a different bike really grunty like the demo,its like having it remapped its that different,no more e10 for me and thats what e10 does on a brand new bike.
And we’re meant to believe that?
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

I don't care what you believe,i have said EXACTLY what happened,i am happy with myself that i have said it how it is.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Interesting post....I've done 3,500 miles from new on my mark 2 '19 Tracer 900 and I can honestly say that it runs like a dog on E10 and purrs like a cat on super-unleaded. I kid you not. I put two full tanks of E10 in it during the fuel crisis recently because that was all I could get which equated to about 360 miles and the bike felt lethargic and just 'off colour', if that makes sense? When I went back to super unleaded 97 or 99 the difference was noticeable after a few miles. It's super-unleaded all the way for me, from my experience of the Tracer 8-) .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

That's it exactly "off colour" when i had my super tenere 1200 i was on fumes when i got to dublin airport petrol station they only had e10 and after putting that in it it would not even tickover it went from 60+ mpg to low 40's,luckily i only put in enough to get me to northern ireland,back to super unleaded and all was restored.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Apparently ethanol gives the fuel a higher octane rating(basically it doesn't go bang in the corner of the combustion chamber when subjected to pressure waves and radiant energy BEFORE the flame front gets there). However, the addition of ethanol will slow the flame front down as it burns with a slower flame speed, being slightly weaker due to the addition of oxygen in the fuel. The symptoms described seem to be like a retarded ignition which would make sense. By all means if there is a combustion chemist on here please expand and correct! E10 may be fine in a slow revving , relatively low performance car engine that has been additionally tuned to counter the effects of E10, but in a high specific output bike engine any change in the burn rate will be significant--the flame speed is independent of the rotational speed of the engine, so a high revving engine will feel the effects to a greater extent. Interestingly, going back many years, Porsche fitted knock sensors TO EACH CYLINDER and automatically advanced the ignition up until just before pinking was detected. I spoke to an owner who said that he ran super and his fuel consumption improvement more than offset the extra fuel cost. I wouldn't want to risk E10 in an old Porsche engine.!!
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

^^^...I've just sold my '03 Porsche Boxster 2.7 :oops: ...a good car and sounds a lot posher and more expensive than it actually was...anyway, it had a flat six 228bhp engine that loves to rev right to the rev limiter at 7,000rpm and it makes power all the way through the rev range. It simply refused to run properly on E5 let alone E10. When I say properly I mean of course it would run but it felt like it had lost about 30bhp every time I ran it on on anything other than Shell V-max 98 fuel. The difference was substantial.

p.s. I only sold it because I had 2 years of driving it like a loon because it was so addictive... :oops:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Last edited by garyboy on Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Last edited by garyboy on Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Two things:
1. The NC750 is half a car engine?--low revving--probably fine for E10.
2. Look up the tailpipe of any modern haulage truck--still shiny I bet with Adblu converted to NH3 and then acting over a catalyst to reduce/eliminate NOx (to water and nitrogen), A DPF to trap and oxidise the carbon particles, an oxicat to get rid of any hydrocarbon spill, and finally an NH3 catalyst to get the ppms down to less than 4 so that you can't smell it.
3. One more thing--if you can see soot particles don't worry--they are heavy, attract the volatile carcinogenic aromatics, and drop out of the atmosphere pretty quickly, or get trapped in your upper airways stopping the volatile aromatics getting down to your alveoli and then into your bloodstream. Just think of a coal miner--a mucky job and they get a hell of an exposure to carbon dust without a significant impact on their health (but probably not good for them by today's standards).
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Return to “TECHNICAL”