E10 Fuels

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
daveuprite

Re: E10 Fuels

Post by daveuprite »

Snaf MKII wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:57 am I'd conclude that it may make a noticeable difference on some vehicles but not on others.
I don't think you can do that with any conviction. Perhaps if you formed a sample group of maybe 1000 vehicles, with double-blind testing for all participants, and then had your conclusions peer-reviewed by other un-related researchers studying the same research area, you might be able to have more confidence. But most contributors to this thread seem quite content to go with anecdotes and rumours.

There will be a mass of primary scientific research re. E5 / E10 on the net if anyone's genuinely interested enough to go and read it.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

Let’s not confuse people with science. 😀😀
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

daveuprite wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:34 am
Snaf MKII wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:57 am I'd conclude that it may make a noticeable difference on some vehicles but not on others.
I don't think you can do that with any conviction. Perhaps if you formed a sample group of maybe 1000 vehicles, with double-blind testing for all participants, and then had your conclusions peer-reviewed by other un-related researchers studying the same research area, you might be able to have more confidence. But most contributors to this thread seem quite content to go with anecdotes and rumours.

There will be a mass of primary scientific research re. E5 / E10 on the net if anyone's genuinely interested enough to go and read it.
Hence I said "may" rather than "does". I must admit the difference it made surprised me and without any other explanation I'd say it was the change in fuel. I'd add that we've happily been running a couple of weeks on E10 and E5 before that so don't come from an anti or pro stance on any of them. We'll continue with the 98 E5 for a while to see if economy significantly changes but I'm not holding out for anything noticeable at sub 16mpg.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Through all the pages on this subject, and with a lot of personal opinion, and no scientific facts--you know who you are!----we have yet to see an argument for the use of E10, or even E85, in the first place (save helping out "struggling" farmers and giving the likes of Shell and bp some alleged green credence--which I don't buy one bit). If it helped the planet I would buy it--but it certainly doesn't at the moment from all the evidence that I have researched. We are all struggling with justification arguments "after the event" rather than casting a critical eye on the "well to wheel " argument for it's introduction in the first place.
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Got my petrol hedgetrimmer back from repair today, it would not run at full throttle.
Got a bit of a lecture from the old experienced mechanic, he said not use stale petrol or E10 petrol in the hedge trimmer or chainsaw if you want to avoid probroblems.
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

I aim to use E5 everytime. I have no experience either way however the pick up is clean with E5 but dont feel it was so crisp with E10.
Suppose will never really know:))
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

Helicoptermanr22 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:15 pm I aim to use E5 everytime. I have no experience either way however the pick up is clean with E5 but dont feel it was so crisp with E10.
Suppose will never really know:))
I thought most pick-ups had diesel engines.
dave h

Post by dave h »

if I'm honest I've always put the cheapest in when possible ,

but i can confirm the pricey stuff don't do any harm,

dave.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I've heard....from contacts....that , just at the moment, there are problems with ethanol supply in the UK, and E10 currently isn't really anything like E10...as in the ethanol content is rather less than 10 per cent.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

Oh dear. If true that somewhat dents all those claims about bikes that are miraculously cured by a tank full of 98.

Return to “TECHNICAL”