E10 Fuels

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: E10 Fuels

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

And in other news...

The UK has just run out of CO2!
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

you couldn't make it up--just seen this also (more unobtanium from Boris the Bogladite) "The UK government department overseeing the phasing out of diesel cars still relies on them for its own fleet.

Figures obtained by the BBC show the Department for Transport operates 1,234 cars - 672 run on diesel, 63 on petrol, with the rest electric or hybrid."
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

catcitrus wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:07 am you couldn't make it up--just seen this also (more unobtanium from Boris the Bogladite) "The UK government department overseeing the phasing out of diesel cars still relies on them for its own fleet.

Figures obtained by the BBC show the Department for Transport operates 1,234 cars - 672 run on diesel, 63 on petrol, with the rest electric or hybrid."
Looks like they are phasing them out then?
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Popped in to my local bike shop to pick up a new inner tube and was amazed as to how many two stroke engine failures and problems have occurred following the use of E10. I wonder if because of the slow burn time characteristic it is consuming the two stroke oil :?:

TTFN

Hugh.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

Hugh wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:12 pm Greetings,

Popped in to my local bike shop to pick up a new inner tube and was amazed as to how many two stroke engine failures and problems have occurred following the use of E10. I wonder if because of the slow burn time characteristic it is consuming the two stroke oil :?:

TTFN

Hugh.
Amazing seeing how short a time it has been on sale in the U.K.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

TTFN

Hugh.
Can’t be that Hugh, once the fuel/air/oil mix has reached the combustion chamber it has already performed its lubrication function and you actually want it to be burned
Richard Simpson Mark II

According to this Chinese study E10 is actually very good for two-strokes

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... oke_Engine

But anecdotal evidence suggests that ethanol causes loads of problems, especially in engines that are not in regular use.

My chainsaws etc are difficult to start unless I put Ethanol Shield into the fuel. I don't know how it does it, but it does make them easier to start.

It's also responsible for buggering-up an endless number of fuel tanks.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

I know facts and experience are boring compared to conspiracy theories but I have been using E10 in 2stroke chainsaws and strimmers for a decade. No starting problems, no meted plastics. The U.K. is way behind the EU in the use of this fuel any problems have been well documented. If you really believe that your engine/fuel tank/pipes might be in danger it’s simple, ask the manufacturer. Don’t listen to the doom merchants.
Richard Simpson Mark II

The manufacturers of my garden machines give explicit instruction not to leave even E5 fuel in the machines, and warns that doing so will invalidate the warranty. The dealer who sells them says it's a very serious issue.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Cornishman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:32 pm

TTFN

Hugh.
Amazing seeing how short a time it has been on sale in the U.K.
Our local supermarket filling station is closed while they convert it to E10. New hoses, pumps, seals etc required. A major job, by all accounts.

Return to “TECHNICAL”