E10 Fuels

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Cornishman

Re: E10 Fuels

Post by Cornishman »

My thought exactly.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Do you have shares in ethanol production? I think you are definitely alone in accepting it based on your personal experience alone, and offering no technical reason whatsoever considering all the negative experience voiced here. You have failed to offer any positive reason for the use of E10. Lets see an argument from you that proves that its more eco friendly than straight gasoline, and why we should embrace it to save the planet. I've no doubt that it works in modern cars designed and developed to run on it, but this is a bike forum with engines that are typically of much higher specific output and typically much older than the pass car fleet. I've spent much of my career in research facilities dealing with alternative propulsion systems and also dealing with emissions and their measurement, so I think I for one am well armed to offer objective assessments for even handed discussion.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

I’m simply surprised by all the negative experience in Britain considering how recently E10 has been introduced in Britain. It’s nothing but scaremongering. Give me my 10+ years of experience using the fuel in a variety I& engines any day. I’m sorry if you find that hard to understand but I’m afraid I’m just a content consumer. When others make outrageous claims I will contest them.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Cornishman wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:32 pm Oh dear, how come my vehicles and garden equipment have been running perfectly well on the stuff for over a decade. Your subjective thoughts and hearsay mean nothing. Absolutely nothing.
But apparently yours do. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

Crossrutted wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:58 pm
Cornishman wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:32 pm Oh dear, how come my vehicles and garden equipment have been running perfectly well on the stuff for over a decade. Your subjective thoughts and hearsay mean nothing. Absolutely nothing.
But apparently yours do. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ten years of living in a community that uses E10 is slightly more than that. You carry on, you are making yourself look foolish. Why are you so frightened of change? I pity you.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

The fact that people are using E10 means nothing--they are doing so probably through lack of choice. Despite me asking the ex pat for a good green reason for its introduction nothing has been forthcoming--what a surprise---but not to worry--the Earthshot prize went to a portable hydrogen plant(amongst others)---the headlong race to battery power from the grid will soon be a busted flush and we will be using hydrogen--either in fuel cells or in direct injection converted/redesigned diesel base engines. THEN the companies that produce petrol will really be worried--as I've said before the writing is on the wall and E10 (ethanol) is purely a ruse by big buck interests in agriculture and oil production.

"AEM Electrolyser, Thailand/Germany/Italy: A clever design in Thailand using renewable energy to make hydrogen by splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen. Hydrogen is a clean gas but it is usually produced by burning fossil fuels"
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Surely all the argument for or against E10 holds true with E5 which most of us have been using for years. I run a few of old cars and bikes as well as generators, welders and other petrol construction equipment. it's to early to say what effect E10 will have on any of it but E5 hasn't been a problem and I never drain anything down.
I've just dragged the PE175 out that has E10 petrol in it since 2017 when it was last used, drained the carb and dropped the float bowl thinking it may need a clean out and no issues. No dissolving 42 year old tank and sundries, started third kick once I put the plug cap back on :oops:
ChrisCole

Post by ChrisCole »

Snaf MKII wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:26 am Surely all the argument for or against E10 holds true with E5 which most of us have been using for years. I run a few of old cars and bikes as well as generators, welders and other petrol construction equipment. it's to early to say what effect E10 will have on any of it but E5 hasn't been a problem and I never drain anything down.
I've just dragged the PE175 out that has E10 petrol in it since 2017 when it was last used, drained the carb and dropped the float bowl thinking it may need a clean out and no issues. No dissolving 42 year old tank and sundries, started third kick once I put the plug cap back on :oops:
Are you and Liz planning a trip involving the PE?
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

ChrisCole wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:59 am
Snaf MKII wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:26 am Surely all the argument for or against E10 holds true with E5 which most of us have been using for years. I run a few of old cars and bikes as well as generators, welders and other petrol construction equipment. it's to early to say what effect E10 will have on any of it but E5 hasn't been a problem and I never drain anything down.
Are you and Liz planning a trip involving the PE?
Not particularly but have talked of doing some more classic enduros.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

it's to early to say what effect E10 will have on any of it but E5 hasn't been a problem and I never drain anything down.

My original post was simply to reassure people who have these concerns is that E10 has been used in the EU for over a decade. Anyone who has genuine concerns about the effect on a particular situation should be able to get answers via Google. There’s more than ten years of experience to draw on.

Return to “TECHNICAL”