euro bits buying in practice recently

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
bikenav

euro bits buying in practice recently

Post by bikenav »

need some bits tricky/expensive to source in the UK anybody bought anything (retail) recently from Europe? Item would be £30-£60 is there a cost add on threshold before duty/VAT/admin is added etc? Parts from Germany or Netherlands not that makes a difference. Please recent practical experience/ relevant Knowledge no bollox Brexit discussion. ta very much.
zimtim

Re: euro bits buying in practice recently

Post by zimtim »

Vat threshold is £135 for gifts.
https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Several people I deal with will drop the value to £20 and put it through as a sample
Also find who the are shipping with
DHL are the worst as real sticklers for the rules
Ask them to send through on normal mail Royal mail and your parcel is more likely slip through unchecked.
Ask for only packing slip with no prices to be included in the parcel.
I know from sending packages abroad through Zadventure.co.uk that some countries customs are more zealous in checking parcel Portugal, Greece are two of the worst in my experience.
berin

Post by berin »

I think it depends if the vendor has UK VAT clearance, the limit is up to £135 as long as the vendor has paid UK VAT then it can ship direct with no more fees.

Otherwise you have to pay VAT and possibly customs duty depending on origin, and an admin fee.

I just bought a Mosko Moto tank bag and spare harness, €201 including €30 shipping and excluding VAT, and had to pay £52 in fees, easy enough to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

Hi BikeNav
I bought some bits from "Off The Road" in Koln, Germany last week, similar value to what you asked about:-
Off The Road.jpg
Off The Road.jpg (27.28 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
Nothing extra to pay on receipt :-) so from my experience I'd say you should be ok - depends on whether you feel nearly 12 Euros P & P is ok I guess
Delivery was via DHL

Cheers
Harv

Return to “TECHNICAL”