Electrical issue

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
daveuprite

Re: Electrical issue

Post by daveuprite »

Thanks Richard. I'm going to be treating myself to something in the Autumn (early pension windfall) - maybe Italian, probably V-twin - so thinking about good batteries. Wasn't sure whether to go the Lithium route or something butch like the odyssey.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

There's a guy on the RSV-R forum recommends these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273678720407

Much cheaper than what I got...but I'm a little unsure of using a Lithium battery on a bike not designed for them. Also they can produce a big voltage spike if they fail.

I think quality batteries only seem expensive if you don't know the cost of a new sprag clutch!
Richard Simpson Mark II

I follow RSV prices quite closely.

The R models with Ohlins suspension are going up sharply, the standard models not so fast.

Given that the Ohlins forks are rather delicate and expensive to fix, the std models are probably still a very good buy.

I love the look of the Duke 916 etc, but the mechanical costs can be horrendous. The Rotax-engined Aprilias don't seem to suffer anything like the same mechanical issues.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:11 am I follow RSV prices quite closely.

The R models with Ohlins suspension are going up sharply, the standard models not so fast.

Given that the Ohlins forks are rather delicate and expensive to fix, the std models are probably still a very good buy.

I love the look of the Duke 916 etc, but the mechanical costs can be horrendous. The Rotax-engined Aprilias don't seem to suffer anything like the same mechanical issues.
I used to race a 2001 RSVR in the Mille Challenge Cup - I love 'em. But I'm after another road bike, so it would be the Tuono if I go for another Aprilia - probably a Gen II, post 2006.

So far my nice little shortlist is:

Tuono V2 Gen II (or a Factory if one comes up)
Ducati Hypermotard 1100 - not sure about that one
KTM Superduke 990 2007 onwards (or 990R if one came up) - I really like these
Unlikely but possibly MV Agusta Brutale 1078R / 1090RR (OK not V-twin but I've always liked them)

As you can see, all hooligan street bikes with sports bike engines, frames, suspension but flat bars. Budget about 4-7k euros i think. Handling trumps power for me, but they all have more than enough horses!

Looking forward to going shopping in October.... :D
Richard Simpson Mark II

all good bikes...although the Ducatis can go horribly wrong (they do look nice though).

Return to “TECHNICAL”